Osteo Thread

Guest roselle

Yes, someone will be there with her 24 hours. I don't think they'd boot her out if we weren't ready... :unsure We'll see how she does. Personally, I think I'd rather have her there an extra day, but I'm sure she'd be happier at home.

On a related note - for those of you with post-amp hounds and an SUV - do you have any recommendations for ramps? I have a Honda CRV that Lucy has always been able to jump into just fine, but I don't think she'll be able to do it post-amp, and I cannot lift her. Any suggestions?

Good luck Lucy, we're sending cyber hugs and kisses. Roselle and Gracy :colgate

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest roselle

After 24 good hours, Trip had a bumpy night. It seems like an hour before he is due for his next pain mess (tramadol or rimdyl) he becomes more uncomfortable. I will call first thing this morning about adjusting mess and hopefully adding gaberpertin. I love our vet but she may not know about the gaberpentin. Sorry for any typos but its been a week.

My vet didn't know about gabapentin. I had to educate him. Wow what a difference it makes I hope Trip is feeling better soon. Cyber hugs coming to trip from me and Gracy.

Guest roselle

Jess, I agree if Lucy can stay longer at the hospital, it is easier on you and her because if there is any emergency, she'll be taken care of. Our nerves were on edge after 4 days when Charlie came home but it was all us causing it, not him. Now had he been home 24-48hrs after surgery, I do believe it would have been a lot worse. Bottom line is you know Lucy and if she's better at home, then bring her home.

For those who have gone the amputation route (Dude & Callie) and those about to (Lucy), here are some pics that I hope make you smile and realize how incredible these pups are when they are a tripod. Here's Charlie this morning almost 7 mths post amp.

He is leading the charge out the door and is ahead of 4 legged Jack

DSC_02772460.jpg

Getting up to speed

DSC_02832466.jpg

Making me eat his dust

DSC_02992480.jpg

We are all cheering you on and hope all the pups recover quickly. And for those who's pups are fighting the battle and are not candidates for amputation no matter the reason, I hope you have many, many more days loving your pups.

Kyle, Charlie looks so good. How old is he and how is he doing in terms of pain, playfullness, endurance? :colgate kisses from Gracy to Charlie :beatheart

I just wanted to jump in and offer a thought about Pilling your dogs ~ sorry if this has been covered in the past,

Fat Balls is what kept my angel Rascal going for a long time. I could hide pills in the fat balls, and he'd eat them without a care in the world ,,, and it helped keep weight on him too. a mixture of raw hamburger, eggs with shells, molasses, wheat germ, olive oil.. the exact recipe i'd have to look up and will do if you want it,, !! I think I gave him 5-6 fat balls, just about every time he came in from outside as a treat/food supplement/pill popper. he was a very picky eater, and these fat balls were wonderful for him.

Hugs to you all and your pups going thru this!!!

:grouphug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Kyle, Charlie looks so good. How old is he and how is he doing in terms of pain, playfullness, endurance? :colgate kisses from Gracy to Charlie :beatheart

Roselle, Charlie turned 8 in November and he has no pain, is VERY playful especially outside. He'll playbow and then take off and if you run, he'll come beside you nipping your elbows or anything he can sink his teeth into. Endurance? Well let's say he lasts outside longer than the others and doesn't stop for a minute. He is constantly running from one spot to another in the yard, sniffing and just having a ball. We are lucky and hope he continues this way.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest roselle

Roselle, Charlie turned 8 in November and he has no pain, is VERY playful especially outside. He'll playbow and then take off and if you run, he'll come beside you nipping your elbows or anything he can sink his teeth into. Endurance? Well let's say he lasts outside longer than the others and doesn't stop for a minute. He is constantly running from one spot to another in the yard, sniffing and just having a ball. We are lucky and hope he continues this way.

So happy to hear that. Gracy is 5 months post amp. She was never one to play,b ut lives for walks. She is older then Charlie, she'll be 12 in April. Hears hoping they keep do as well as they are, sometimes I forget about the cancer. :colgate

Guest ChasesMum

George was sent home the same day and it was TERRIBLE. We would have had him transferred to the evet had we known what we know now. 24-36 hours would be my minimum now.

Chase loved the pill pockets. I could cram like 10 little pills in the largest ones. She thought they were a wonderful treat,and worked really well for the times I had a handful of pills. Cheese worked fine for her little pepcid. But like you said, if its not going well then that's not a fond memory of his last weeks.

We added Gabapentin to Trip's medicines and he has been more comfortable since then. Thank you greytalkers for all your help. I know we have a bumpy road ahead of us but it is good to see Trip still eating well, wagging his tail, joining his pack in a roo and even roaching. I can't say he does not have moments of discomfort but he does have good moments too.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

The last three days or so have been a bit more bumpy for Dude. I think mostly because he did so well the first few days home. He was kind of down and blah, but then would perk up for a bit. I've been trying to stretch out his codeine (pain reliever) and nsaid from 4 to 3 times a day. He has had a couple episodes of panting and restlessness and he gets a pill right away if that happens, but otherwise I'm not sure if he really "needs" the pills or not. His incision looks great, he's standing and moving around fine, he's eating and drinking in his usual chow hound manner, going potty, going up and down the stairs to the bedroom (though we don't allow him to do it unsupervised).

He's also been having some issues with pee leaking when he stands up. This just started a couple days ago too and I have no idea if the two things are related. I'm thinking a belly band or something like that, which he will hate. Will this resolve itself as he heals and adapts or is this likely to be an ongoing problem?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just got back from the vet. Tiny has osteo in his shoulder.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

We are going the palliative care route. The vet suggested a combo of Rimadyl, Tramadol and Gabapentin. He isn't showing much pain right now, just some minor swelling, so we're starting with Rimadyl. As things progress we'll add the other two meds in and increase the dosages as needed.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Crap. Crap. Crap.

We are going the palliative care route. The vet suggested a combo of Rimadyl, Tramadol and Gabapentin. He isn't showing much pain right now, just some minor swelling, so we're starting with Rimadyl. As things progress we'll add the other two meds in and increase the dosages as needed.

:( I am so sorry. I hope he stays comfortable on the Rimadyl for a long time. Hugs to you and your boy.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

I'm so sorry. :( I hate it every time someone new joins us. :(

Glad to hear Trip is doing better wihth the Gabapentin and love seeing the pics of Charlie!!

Roselle, I hope Gracy's big D clears up soon. Have you tried Metamucil wafers? They do wonders.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh no, not Tiny! :( :( :( My heart goes out to you.

Greysmom, how long has it been since Dude's amputation? I would probably keep him on pain relief for a good 3 weeks after, unless he shows distinct signs of not needing it. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a urine sample checked for infection; dribbling could be due to one or the other pain med, tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

I continue to follow this thread with prayers for all. Neither of my osteo angels were candidates for an amp. SugarBear was 14.5. It was years ago, I wish I remembered more of it, but I do know she did have the fentanyl patch at the end. TigerPower had fear aggression and his lungs were not clear.

A handy idea for a homemade sling in a pinch is an old sweatshirt. (Found this when 90lb Zeus could not get up and was terrified. The fabric os soft on them and the sleeves make great handles, less bulky than a towel and could wrap them around my hand. Also could have a sleeve wrapped around each hand. Hope this helps.

Prayers and hugs to all. :bighug

Hi all, good use some good thoughts today. Not sure if any of you saw my earlier thread about my friend's mixed breed, Tasha. She has a meningioma, a type of brain cancer, but in the process of diagnosing her they also discovered that she has an enlarged spleen and some nodules in her abdomen. She is having a splenectomy today so if you could all send some good thoughts that she makes it through surgery and has a smooth recovery I would appreciate it. Tasha is like one of my own and while I was at least relieved to hear she does not have hemangio, which was the earlier guess, I am still so sad that she's been diagnosed with cancer. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am sorry to hear about Tasha. I worked in neurosurgery for many years and in humans, most meningiomas are benign tumors. I am not sure about canines.Hopefully that might be the case with Tasha.In any event, I will be praying for a good outcome.

On my own sad note, Ward will be crossing the bridge tomorrow. We started the Fentanyl patch and it has helped quite a bit. He has not had any of the side effects you read about but his hip deformity has increased. He is putting very little weight on that leg and cannot lay down without help.The decision has been very difficult for my husband and I but we know it is the right thing to do. Please keep us and our beloved Ward (Award Winning) in your thoughts. Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

Kathy

Tasha and Ward are in my thoughts. I am sorry you've had to decide to let your boy go, Kathy. :bighug

Lucy's amp is tomorrow and my heart is in my throat as I try to assure myself this is the right thing to do. She's laying in her bed in the sun, happily, is showing no pain, no limping, and really seems perfectly fine.

I've seen the X-rays and the pathology report, and I KNOW that removing the tumor ASAP will give us more time with her, but it's breaking my heart to take a dog that is fine and put them through an amp. :(

sig_border.jpg

Oh no, not Tiny! :( :( :( My heart goes out to you.

Greysmom, how long has it been since Dude's amputation? I would probably keep him on pain relief for a good 3 weeks after, unless he shows distinct signs of not needing it. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a urine sample checked for infection; dribbling could be due to one or the other pain med, tho.

Two weeks today! We see his surgeon on Wednesday for follow up and stitches removal. I had to ask for a refill of his codeine as they only sent home a week, and he'll be out again by his appointment. Should I ask about Tramadol or another pain med, rather than the codeine? It does seem to knock him out, which also might be contributing to his leaking problem. He just might not realize he needs to go. Lots of questions for Wednesday.

Lucy, Tasha, Ward and Tiny are in our thoughts.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am sorry to hear about Tasha. I worked in neurosurgery for many years and in humans, most meningiomas are benign tumors. I am not sure about canines.Hopefully that might be the case with Tasha.In any event, I will be praying for a good outcome.

On my own sad note, Ward will be crossing the bridge tomorrow. We started the Fentanyl patch and it has helped quite a bit. He has not had any of the side effects you read about but his hip deformity has increased. He is putting very little weight on that leg and cannot lay down without help.The decision has been very difficult for my husband and I but we know it is the right thing to do. Please keep us and our beloved Ward (Award Winning) in your thoughts. Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

Kathy

Oh no, Kathy, I am so sorry to hear this. My heart just breaks all over every time I read that it's time for another pup to go. But you are doing what's best for him. I know it may not seem like much, but that is what gave me the strength to get through that horrible day, having no doubt that I was making the right decision for my girl. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping for a peaceful passing for Ward. :grouphug

And yes, you are right, most meningios are benign in dogs as well. They are trying to find out whether she is a surgical candidate or not and are looking into some newer radiation therapies like stereotactic radiation, but it sort of all depends on what the path report on the spleen says. :unsure

Jess, I will be sending lots and lots of good thoughts for Lucy's amp tomorrow too. Did you decide whether you'll stay nearby or come back home?

Thank you Jen,

The Vet will be coming to our house as that is where Ward is most comfortable. I will give him a little Valium before she comes to keep him calm. He is having a very restful, peaceful day today. Once we made the decision, I felt a sense of relief although it will be hard to say goodbye. Thanks for all your kind words.

Jess,

I'm sure Lucy will come through her surgery with flying colors. From what I have read of other greyhounds going through amputations, they do quite well. She will probably surprise you. I will be thinking of you and Lucy.

Kathy

Jess, I will be sending lots and lots of good thoughts for Lucy's amp tomorrow too. Did you decide whether you'll stay nearby or come back home?

We booked a hotel room for two nights and were going to stay nearby, but, the vet just called and they'd like to re-schedule. We're supposed to get bad weather Tuesday afternoon/evening through all of Wednesday. DH and I had decided we'd go up on Tuesday and get a hotel and leave whenever we could get home safely, and Lucy would stay at the hospital until then. But they've decided not to have overnight staff on Wednesday - so we'd have to pick her up in the middle of a snowstorm (whether we were ready or not).

We can move the surgery to Thursday, but they don't have overnight staff on Friday (unless an emergency), so we'd have to take her home Friday by 6 p.m.

Otherwise, we're going to have do it next Tuesday. I really don't want to put it off any longer, both for the sake of improving her prognosis and for the sake of our sanity -- it's all we've thought about since scheduling it and I don't want to agonize over the decision for another week. But I'm not comfortable being in a position where we have to take her home the next day if we're not ready, so I guess we'll be waiting another week. :(

sig_border.jpg

Oh no, Jess that totally sucks. :(

Tash is out of surgery. It was more extensive than they expected so she's being transferred to the specialty hospital to be in the ICU overnight. We have a chance of an ice storm coming so not sure how much that played into the decision (not being able to get her in if there were an emergency). The spleen was 2x the size it should have been with a tumor on it hte size of a small canteloupe. 2 other smaller tumors were also on the spleen, they were all removed and sent off for pathology. The vet also said the end of her liver was friable (basically in bad shape). So not the report I was hoping for although glad that she is safely out of surgery. :goodluck for no internal bleeding tonight, which is what they are most concerned about and good pathology reports. I am trying not to get too upset until those are back since last time I totally lost it thinking she had hemangio and it turned out to not be true.

Thanks for the well wishes for her today.

ETA: Why Dave had to go and tell me "friable liver" likes to present itself with hemangio I do not know. <_< Not worrying, not worrying, not worrying...

Edited by NeylasMom

Crap. Crap. Crap.

I'm so sorry about the diagnosis. Our Wonder has it in his right shoulder and is holding his own, one month past diagnosis. Tiny and all the others are in our prayers.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie