Osteo Thread

Guest roselle

Trio had a rough night. We will be helping him to the bridge this morning.

My heart is breaking for you, that Trip's time is already here after what just happened with Larry. I'm so sorry. :kiss2 for Trip and :grouphug for you. Will keep you and your DH in my thoughts today.

I had a dream about Neyla last night. It was the first one in a while. I had left her with a sitter and thought she had passed away, only to discover that she was still alive. She still had osteo, but she wasn't acting like it or in pain and she was so happy to see me. It was nice, to feel like she was with me even for just a few moments. Until I got out of bed of course and the reality sunk in again.:cry1

Jen, Neyla is still with you, in your heart and in your memories. She's reminding you of that. My thoughts are with you and hope your memories of Neyla will soon make you smile. :angelwings:grouphug

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on Wonder and his canine Fosamax treatment he had Friday. The blood work came back fine and he could have his treatment which went well. He has a bruise on his right rear lower leg from the catheter but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. He ate well last night and this morning. His Metacam is now being given in the morning rather than evening.

He whimpered a few times last night and today seems very lethargic. He has slept most of the day. When he goes out he will stop in the yard and just pants and stares at you rather than coming in like normal (or what has become normal for him). We ran some errands today and when we got back he greeted us from the back of the pack (usually he's first) but not with a toy as historically he always does.

The vet said it may take a couple weeks for improvement to show but if he doesn't improve, then she said we will not do the treatment again.

We're hoping for a better tomorrow. :goodluck:gh_face:wub:

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Such a sad thread today. Godspeed Trip. Hugs for Sparks. Good healing white light thoughts for everyone.

Dude had to go back into surgery yesterday. His stump was infected and needed to be cleaned and debrided. He's home now and doing OK. We'll be doing wet-to-dry bandage changes every day at the vet for a while. We also see the Oncologist for his first consult on Monday. I liked her when we talked on the phone before his amp surgery. She interned at OSU with Dr Couto and knows about all the resources and prcedures.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The vet said it may take a couple weeks for improvement to show but if he doesn't improve, then she said we will not do the treatment again.

That's what my vet told me too, but what I've heard anecdotally is generally you see improvement in the first 5 days. I saw a gradual improvement over around that timeframe.

The things you're describing sound like pain to me - I wonder if he's not just hurting a bit from all of the activity with going to the vet? Maybe you could increase his pain meds a teeny bit for a day or two to see if that helps until the pamidronate can kick in?

Chris, a friend of mine had the same thing happen with her girl and she's doing fine now. They've finished their chemo treatments at this point so that was about 6 months ago. She just doesn't have much left on that hip (hers was ar ear leg amp).

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry about Trip

:grouphug

Sparks did eat last night and this morning. I had to hand feed him to get him to eat. brat :lol

I tried to let him sleep with me last night but he gets up at least once or twice an hour. I wonder if he's uncomfortable. He gets all 3 pain meds at night so I wouldn't think he would be. I was also giving melatonin but that doesn't seem to be helping so I stopped wasting it.

I called my vet yesterday to set up an appt but they put me on hold and I hung up. I have 21 more days left before my vet goes out of town. I can use another vet in the clinic but I really want to use my vet. Esp if I'm gonna have a complete melt down.

I had a dream about Neyla last night. It was the first one in a while. I had left her with a sitter and thought she had passed away, only to discover that she was still alive. She still had osteo, but she wasn't acting like it or in pain and she was so happy to see me. It was nice, to feel like she was with me even for just a few moments. Until I got out of bed of course and the reality sunk in again.:cry1

This brought tears to my eyes.

:grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

{{{{{{{{{{Kari}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kari, I'm so sorry you're close to making that decision. :cry1 The getting up every hour or two could be pain. Can you give him a little extra Tramadol or Gabapentin before bed and see if it helps? Sorry my sob story's making you more teary, as if you need that. <_<

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I didn't want to give him an extra tramadol incase that is causing him to be restless so I gave him 2 gabapentin. He slept pretty well or maybe because I was so exhausted I didn't wake up every time he moved.

He didn't eat much this morning but I did get him to eat a can of wet food last night.

He's laying on the bed with me. I've notived his legs are very twitchy/restless and have been for a while (weeks/months). He always lays funny so I'm thinking he can't get comfortable :(

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I am very sorry to hear about Trip and Ward. It's so hard to have to let go. :grouphug

Kari, when Argus stopped eating he perked up again when we offered Ballpark all-beef hot dogs. He just loved those things. They were good for sneaking pills into as well. Those hot dogs were the last thing he turned his nose up at.

Tiny had a good day. The Rimadyl seems to really be helping and so far we haven't added the other 2 medications. Sometimes he forgets his leg hurts. The vet said not to restrict his exercise yet because the bone hasn't deteriorated much, so when the weather's good and he's feeling well I let him tear it up in the yard. He limps afterward, but he enjoys it. Lots of pictures are being taken now, while he still looks healthy and happy. I hope we have more days like this:

IMG_8433_1.jpg

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Kristen,

Tiny looks fabulous. What a beautiful dog. I hope you have many more wonderful days with him.

I would not hesitate to start the other medications if he is limping. Ward was on 15 Tramadol, 2 rimadyl and then a Fentanyl patch at the end. He did really well on the patch as it was a constant dose of medication. The only time he was uncomfortable was when he would try to lay down and then we would have to help him. I am not suggesting Fentanyl now only saying that it is a good option for severe pain.

Thank you for thinking of Ward and Trip.

Kathy

Kari, when Argus stopped eating he perked up again when we offered Ballpark all-beef hot dogs. He just loved those things. They were good for sneaking pills into as well. Those hot dogs were the last thing he turned his nose up at.

Greyt minds think alike: I tried ballpark last night. He didn't want to eat them but did eventually.

He hasn't eaten much today except those salmon treats from Costco. He loves them! I gave him 4 this morning and he chowed them.

this sucks

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari, you've been in my thoughts. How is Sparks today? Lucy loves those salmon treats, too. Have you tried putting tuna in his food?

Lucy had a rough weekend. She now has swelling over the area where the lesion is and she's barely using that leg. :( Her surgery is tomorrow, and now I'm ready and feeling less uncertain about it. Though I hate that we gave the cancer an extra week to spread, my husband pointed out that we waited just long enough for her to enjoy all of the good days with all four legs that she had left.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Kari, you've been in my thoughts. How is Sparks today? Lucy loves those salmon treats, too. Have you tried putting tuna in his food?

Lucy had a rough weekend. She now has swelling over the area where the lesion is and she's barely using that leg. :( Her surgery is tomorrow, and now I'm ready and feeling less uncertain about it. Though I hate that we gave the cancer an extra week to spread, my husband pointed out that we waited just long enough for her to enjoy all of the good days with all four legs that she had left.

Sparks had a rough night. He was crying most of the night in the living room. He hates sleeping in the living room but when I let him sleep in my room, he's up every hour or barking at the other dogs.

Then when I left for work, I noticed he had pooped in his bed. I didn't have time to wash it so cleaned it up and then threw a blanket over it. It was already dried so an easy clean up.

Sorry Lucy had a rough weekend :(

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Jess, is the amp today? Sending good thoughts for Lucy.

Kari, sorry Sparks had a rough night. :(

Kristen, love the photo of Tiny. Since you seem to have caught the tumor fairly early, curious if you're doing anything holistic? I know it's not for everyone, but I think he'd be a good candidate, especially for artemisinin. If you have any questions, there are several of us on the board who incorporated holistic supps into our routine.

Definitely keep taking those photos. You will treasure them. Do you have a video camera too? If not, I think it's worth it to get one if you can spring the money. I ended up buying a compact camera with good video since my dSLR doesn't have it and those videos mean the world to me. They also helped me realize when it was time to let Neyla go, depressing as that sounds, but seeing her running and playing really helped me make the decision I knew I had to make since she wasn't able to do those things any more.

Guest roselle

Sparks had a rough night. He was crying most of the night in the living room. He hates sleeping in the living room but when I let him sleep in my room, he's up every hour or barking at the other dogs.

Then when I left for work, I noticed he had pooped in his bed. I didn't have time to wash it so cleaned it up and then threw a blanket over it. It was already dried so an easy clean up.

Sorry Lucy had a rough weekend :(

Kari, you and sparks are in my thoughts and prayers. Roselle and Gracy :candle

Guest roselle

Jess, is the amp today? Sending good thoughts for Lucy.

It's tomorrow. :hope

Lucy, thinking of you today and wishing you a great outcome for your surgery tomorrow. Jess think positive thoughts. :hope

Best possible thoughts for the best possible outcome for sweet Lucy tomorrow!

Dude has handled this little setback fine. He came through the debridement surgery for the infection in his leg like champ. Came home Saturday like nothing happened. We're doing wet-to-dry bandage changes every day. He also starts his chemo on Tuesday, providing his leg looks OK when they change his bandage.

Dude is on an nsaid but I've been giving him essence of yucca from Greyhound Gang for about a week. I think it has really helped with his swelling and bruising.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Positive thoughts for Lucy. I hope everything goes well and look forward to hear she is up and about.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Update on Wonder. We think the Pamidronate is kicking in. He hasn't whimpered in a couple days, today he looked brighter and more alert. He brought a toy to the door when I got home at lunch and actually wagged his tail four or five times. Oh, what a delight to see that tail wag. :)

He is getting his Metacam in the morning now instead of night and is still taking the six Tramadol a day which is what he's been taking.

Appetite is strong and he goes out with the others consistently.

I wonder how long the monthly infusions will help but I'll take every second with our boy here and happy. Every day that goes by is a blessing.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Sparks didn't eat at all while I was at work. I just hand fed him chicken and he ate a bunch.

If my vet were open late tonight, I'd be taking him in.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Give him a smoochie for me, Kari. Hugs to yourself. Wish I were closer by.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.