Osteo Thread

This is a continuation of a thread that was started by a few people whose pups were diagnosed around the same time in July of 2010. The thread has grown to include numerous other folks whose pups were diagnosed later and we wanted to create a new thread where everyone would feel welcome and where you could easily locate some core information. You do not have to have a pup that currently has osteo to join in this thread - feel free to stop by if you've ever lost a pup to osteo or other cancer, would like to offer support to those currently dealing with this disease, would like to prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with this, or if your pup has been diagnosed recently. We've even had a person or two join in whose pups were diagnosed with other forms of cancer. Basically, anyone is welcome although we'd prefer there be no reason to have to welcome anyone or for this thread to exist at all.

For those who have recently had a pup diagnosed with osteo, here is some information to hopefully get you started:

Bone Cancer Dogs site - An excellent place to start to get general information about osteo, treatment options, etc.

Journal article on pain mgt - Technically an article on using radiation for palliative (pain management) care, but includes a good overview of the

types of bone cancer pain and the various ways to treat it including medications, radiation, and IV pamidronate

Dog Cancer Blog - Blog from Dr. Dressler, a vet who has dedicated himself to cancer treatment in dogs - includes lots of useful information via blog posts, as well as a link

to purchase his book (which covers all aspects of cancer care, both holistic and traditional) in a downloadable format.

The original osteo thread, with 60 pages of useful information and support.

For those considering amputation, BigOrangeDog's blog about what to expect.

Yahoo groups where you can go for information and support:

Dog Bone Cancer Group - not greyhound specific, but a good source of information and support specific to osteosarcoma

Circle of Grey - a greyhound specific support group for owners of pups dealing with all kinds of health issues

Artemisinin and Cancer - for those who would like to pursue artemisinin as part of their treatment regimen, neither greyhound nor osteo specific

The information from Jane on contacting or seeking treatment/drugs from OSU:

The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

Dr. Couto's direct email is: couto.1@osu.edu. His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics: Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

If you wish to help further osteosarcoma research, 2 labs that are collecting samples and have specifically requested greyhound samples:

Modiano Lab - Need tissue from a biopsy and blood; will send a collection kit and a prepaid return mailer; also accepting samples for hemangiosarcoma and lyphoma

Website: http://www.modianolab.org/studyInfo/studyInfo_index.shtml

Contact person: Mitzi, 612-626-6890, lewel001@umn.edu

Broad Institute - Blood samples only, may be able to help with shipping costs, but they prefer you cover them

Website: http://www.broadinstitute.org/science/projects/mammals-models/dog/disease-research/sending-samples

Contact info: dog-info@broadinstitute.org, FAX: (617) 324-2722

Both labs require signed consent forms and samples must be shipped overnight.

And last, but certainly not least, a remembrance of all of the pups lost in the first thread:

Sherman

John

Chase (lymphoma)

Anubis

Sirocco

Puck

Jasmine

Rivie

Seymour

Abby

Bing

Rose

Freddy

Scoop-Dog

Danny

Bay

Whizzer

Rippa

Flash

Gypsy

Neyla

Toby

Arathorn

And those that are still fighting:

Charlie

Gracy

Joe

Tatum

Santa

Porter

Thor

Winston

If there is anyone that I've overlooked, please let me know and I will update. We haven't had updates on the last 4 pups in a while - I hope they are doing well. Also, if anyone has any links they feel are crucial, PM me and I can add them.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh so many....too many. I would urge everyone to make a donation, even a small one to Dr Coutos greyhound health and wellness program. Research in OS must continue so we may able to fight the horrible monster. The monster that steals our beloved hounds. Hugs to all that fought and that are still fighting this robbing disease.

Oh so many....too many. I would urge everyone to make a donation, even a small one to Dr Coutos greyhound health and wellness program. Research in OS must continue so we may able to fight the horrible monster. The monster that steals our beloved hounds. Hugs to all that fought and that are still fighting this robbing disease.

Thank you for mentioning this. It reminded me that there are 2 labs doing research into cancer and genetics and specifically requesting samples from greyhounds with osteo, hemangio, and lymphoma. I've added the information on those studies to my main post in case anyone would like to participate. It's fairly simple to do so.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks for putting this into a concise page. A friend of mine just had one of her pups diagnosed with osteo and I willdirect her to this thread.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest mcsheltie

Van Andel Research Institute is also doing a study on canine cancer. Osteo and Hemangio are primary. Link They have been taking DNA swabs at local GH events for the last couple years. They are collaborating with Dr Couto.

There are instructions for vets and owners to send samples on the web site. I wish it wasn't needed, but please consider doing this!

Guest roselle

This is a continuation of a thread that was started by a few people whose pups were diagnosed around the same time in July of 2010. The thread has grown to include numerous other folks whose pups were diagnosed later and we wanted to create a new thread where everyone would feel welcome and where you could easily locate some core information. You do not have to have a pup that currently has osteo to join in this thread - feel free to stop by if you've ever lost a pup to osteo or other cancer, would like to offer support to those currently dealing with this disease, would like to prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with this, or if your pup has been diagnosed recently. We've even had a person or two join in whose pups were diagnosed with other forms of cancer. Basically, anyone is welcome although we'd prefer there be no reason to have to welcome anyone or for this thread to exist at all.

For those who have recently had a pup diagnosed with osteo, here is some information to hopefully get you started:

Bone Cancer Dogs site - An excellent place to start to get general information about osteo, treatment options, etc.

Journal article on pain mgt - Technically an article on using radiation for palliative (pain management) care, but includes a good overview of the

types of bone cancer pain and the various ways to treat it including medications, radiation, and IV pamidronate

Dog Cancer Blog - Blog from Dr. Dressler, a vet who has dedicated himself to cancer treatment in dogs - includes lots of useful information via blog posts, as well as a link

to purchase his book (which covers all aspects of cancer care, both holistic and traditional) in a downloadable format.

The original osteo thread, with 60 pages of useful information and suppor

Dog Bone Cancer Group - not greyhound specific, but a good source of information and support specific to osteosarcoma

Circle of Grey - a greyhound specific support group for owners of pups dealing with all kinds of health issues

Artemisinin and Cancer - for those who would like to pursue artemisinin as part of their treatment regimen, neither greyhound nor osteo specific

The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. They will match the funds that you donate. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml.

Dr. Couto's direct email is: couto.1@osu.edu. His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics: Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

If you wish to help further osteosarcoma research, 2 labs that are collecting samples and have specifically requested greyhound samples:

Modiano Lab - Need tissue from a biopsy and blood; will send a collection kit and a prepaid return mailer; also accepting samples for hemangiosarcoma and lyphoma

Broad Institute - Blood samples only, may be able to help with shipping costs, but they prefer you cover them

Website: http://www.broadinstitute.org/science/projects/mammals-models/dog/disease-research/sending-samples

And last, but certainly not least, a remembrance of all of the pups lost in the first thread:

Sherman

John

Chase (lymphoma)

Anubis

Sirocco

Puck

Jasmine

Rivie

Seymour

Abby

Bing

Rose

Freddy

Scoop-Dog

Danny

Bay

Whizzer

Rippa

Flash

Gypsy

Neyla

Toby

Arathorn

Charlie

Gracy

Joe

Tatum

Santa

Porter

Thor

Winston

If there is anyone that I've overlooked, please let me know and I will update. We haven't had updates on the last 4 pups in a while - I hope they are doing well. Also, if anyone has any links they feel are crucial, PM me and I can add them.

Wow Jen, What an amazing job. When do you sleep? Thank you for doing this. :yay

Tears are flowing for those pups that have passed from this hideous disease. May someday, we find a cure. :candle

Thanks Jen for starting this anew again.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest racergirl435

Thanks Jen. It made me cry to see Seymour's name. Just makes it so "final". Haven't had a good cry since Ike came to us. He's such a blessing. As are all of you who have fought and are continuing to fight.

Wow Jen, What an amazing job. When do you sleep? Thank you for doing this. :yay

The real question is when do I work? :lol It did take me a lot longer than I thought to put the post together! Hopefully people will find it helpful.

Thanks Jen. It made me cry to see Seymour's name. Just makes it so "final". Haven't had a good cry since Ike came to us. He's such a blessing. As are all of you who have fought and are continuing to fight.

Believe me, I shed my fair share putting it together. And then when I was done, I realized I hadn't put Neyla's name on it. :(

Guest 4rooers

This is such a greyt thread for everyone who needs some direction when they get that heartbreaking diagnosis. Thank you for all the work it took. I, too, get teary about my little Rippa. I just try to hold on to all the memories, and remember I did the best I could for her. Hugs to all of you who have lost their hound and those still fighting.

Kim

Guest RICHandJUDE

The original osteo thread, with 60 pages of useful information and support.

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Sherman

John

Chase (lymphoma)

Anubis

Sirocco

Puck

Jasmine

Rivie

Seymour

Abby

Bing

Rose

Freddy

Scoop-Dog

Danny

Bay

Whizzer

Rippa

Flash

Gypsy

Neyla

Toby

Arathorn

Charlie

Gracy

Joe

Tatum

Santa

Porter

Thor

Winston

Thanks NeylasMom for making all this valuable information so easy to find! As I've said before this site is such a great resource for greyhound owners.

Tatum update: Very quickly her tumor has grown to baseball+ size. She now whimpers or cries when trying to get up or go outside. I have her on Tramadol and Gaba... and have enough supply to up the dose if needed. Because my philosopy has been to prevent her from any real pain trauma, we will let her go this Friday. Other than the Osteo she had many years of life left in her and this just makes me sick. Thanks to all on this site for your advice and kindness - it has been very helpful and comforting. My heart goes out to all the other families that are dealing with this disease and wish for a cure for our greys....someday.

Marilee

Other than the Osteo she had many years of life left in her and this just makes me sick.

Marilee, I am so sorry. I hope it brings some comfort that you are doing the best thing you can for Tatum. Regarding the above, that's exactly how I feel. Even though Neyla was 11, she was active, playful and healthy and she fought like the dickens against the osteo. It still makes me angry. :(

If you don't also have Tatum on an NSAID, that would give her some additional pain relief this week in addition to being able to up her Tramadol/Gabapentin.

Enjoy your time with her this week and try not to think about what's coming. As I said in the last thread, it will come soon enough. For now, spoil her silly. :grouphug

Marilee,

I am sorry you are having to make this decision. You are right this disease robs us of our precious hounds. Please give Tatum a hug from me and we will keep you both in our thoughts.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest racergirl435

Marilee, I am very sorry you are having to make this decision. I don't know about anyone else here, but for me having a new hound, and one so different than the one he preceded, is such a comfort. In some ways, it makes me feel better about having had to let Seymour go. I can now give a new hound all the love that would have gone to Seymour had he still been here, and then some. I love this little boy so much already, even though he's been a bit more challenging than Seymour was. If that makes any sense. For me, it does...and that's all that matters.

Guest roselle

Thanks NeylasMom for making all this valuable information so easy to find! As I've said before this site is such a great resource for greyhound owners.

Tatum update: Very quickly her tumor has grown to baseball+ size. She now whimpers or cries when trying to get up or go outside. I have her on Tramadol and Gaba... and have enough supply to up the dose if needed. Because my philosopy has been to prevent her from any real pain trauma, we will let her go this Friday. Other than the Osteo she had many years of life left in her and this just makes me sick. Thanks to all on this site for your advice and kindness - it has been very helpful and comforting. My heart goes out to all the other families that are dealing with this disease and wish for a cure for our greys....someday.

Marilee

Marilee, I'm so sorry to hear about Tatum. I don't envy your having to make the decision to help her to the bridge but it's a decision of love and sounds like her time is here. We all have to face this at some point. Some sooner then others. My thoughts are with you, you are not alone. Hugs to both of you. Roselle and Gracy :gh_child:weep:(

Guest roselle

Marilee

Marilee, I'm so sorry to hear about Tatum. I don't envy your having to make the decision to help her to the bridge but it's a decision of love and sounds like her time is here. We all have to face this at some point. Some sooner then others. My thoughts are with you, you are not alone. Hugs to both of you. Roselle and Gracy :gh_child:weep:(

I need to ask for help. Gracy was out in my front yard with me this evening when she got spooked and took off over the hedges and into the woods. She has never done anything like this before. She normally pottied in a large fenced area in the back but there are 8 stairs and she can do them but refuses to. She's gone. I have been out calling her name walking and in my car with friends and no sign of her last week there were several mountain lion sightings and a deer found dead and partially eaten a 1/4 mile from me. Well I think she may have had a scent and panicked. I am frozen with fear it's 45 with prob of rain tonight, shes 2 1/2 weeks past her last chemo and she does not have a coat on. I called the police who will keep an eye out for her. It's dark and cold out with our winter northern california fog. :headbang:yikes:headwall

Guest roselle

Marilee

Gracy is home, I put her bed and blanket on the porch and checked every 30 min. She was there at 11:00, she is SOOOO grounded :angry:

I need to ask for help. Gracy was out in my front yard with me this evening when she got spooked and took off over the hedges and into the woods. She has never done anything like this before. She normally pottied in a large fenced area in the back but there are 8 stairs and she can do them but refuses to. She's gone. I have been out calling her name walking and in my car with friends and no sign of her last week there were several mountain lion sightings and a deer found dead and partially eaten a 1/4 mile from me. Well I think she may have had a scent and panicked. I am frozen with fear it's 45 with prob of rain tonight, shes 2 1/2 weeks past her last chemo and she does not have a coat on. I called the police who will keep an eye out for her. It's dark and cold out with our winter northern california fog. :headbang:yikes:headwall

Have you posted in the Amber Alert?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have you posted in the Amber Alert?

She's home. It was in Roselle's last post, but hard to see b/c it was in the quoted test.

Roselle, so glad Gracy is back safe and unharmed. Scared the living crap out of me when I read that, but thankfully I was able to read the update immediately. Bit hug to you and a stiff drink tonight. Will she go potty on lead? Sounds like that might be best, at least for a little while.

Ah, thank you. And thank god she got home promptly.

Yeah, lead would be good, you'd think a tripod in chemo couldn't move very fast but they sure can when they want to.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ChasesMum

Ack! Roselle how scary!! Definitley potty on a lead, or can you take her around a different way to the fenced yard?

Marilee, so sorry to hear Tatum is getting worse. Enjoy all the time you have left and spoil her rotten! *hugs*