Osteo Thread

I'm so sorry to hear about Sparks. It's good that you didn't have to go through that alone. :grouphug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Lucy!!!!!!

Definitely the hardest part with Dude was keeping him quiet once we brought him home. We did use some Acepromazine to help but I hate that drug so we quickly discontinued it. As it was, he made a jail break and made it upstairs (his favorite place and activity is sleeping on our bed with us) a whole week before he was allowed! We never used the sling they sent home with us. Dude had everything all figured out about going potty and hopping around. We do have him in a Ruff Wear support harness though we really don't use it except for getting in and out of the car.

I know you miss her. Just make sure she and you are really ready for her to come home. Dude did well in the hospital so I wasn't too concerned about leavig him there an extra day or two.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest roselle

Kari, how are you doing this morning? Migraine gone at least?

Yes, it's just a dull headache now. Thanks!

I was doing so good not crying. Co-workers each brought me a card, I teared up but didn't cry. They are awesome!

Then I had to write his memorial for my group- I lost it.

Doing the rememberance thread for GT will be worse. Waiting until this afternoon to try to tackle that.

I'm thinking of you Kari and sending HUGS :cookie and a cookie

Thanks. We have girl scout cookies here and I can't stop eating them

I've gained about 10 lbs since Oct :lol

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Me too!

I still haven't been able to write Neyla's remembrance thread. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kari I'm so sad to hear about Sparks. :cry1 Please take care of yourself. :bighug

:gh_run:f_white:gh_run

I'm so relieved to hear Lucy is doing well! :yay

I got Callie in to see the oncologist yesterday regarding the infection incision. She said it was red and warm so she just prescribed antibiotics and gave me another bottle of Tramadol to keep on hand. Her incision kind of hangs, where the leg was. She asked me about it and I said it was like that when she came home. I checked her first thing when I came home from work and she looks a lot better and the incision doesn't seem to be hanging as much...hard to explain. She also met me at the door with a big grin on her face.

Regarding the chemo.... I am about to have a meltdown if we can't get this started. The drugs were supposed to be shipped from OSU last Monday (JAN 31) and we had her first chemo treatment scheduled for Friday (FEB 4). No drugs, so the chemo was cancelled.

The oncologist is talking about alternating drugs, doing 4 treatments of the carboplatin (which OSU is supposed to be sending) and 4 treatments of the doxy (not sure of spelling). She mentioned about the possible damage to the heart and would give Callie a ultrasound of the heart before treatment. She said that studies do show that there is no benefit of using both, but she thinks there is. <--if I'm understanding her right. I've talked it over with Herman and we want to stick with just the carbo.

I emailed Dr. Marin at OSU today asking for her help, telling her about the problems we are having receiving the chemo drugs. I called the hospital here and asked if they've received or heard anything - NO. The technician called me back and said that he keeps trying to call OSU and gets a voicemail, but no one returns the call. He finally found another number and did get in touch with someone who then gave him another number for someone in charge, which went right to voicemail. He told me they re-faxed all of Callie's information to them.

The oncologist called me shortly after and said that she too had been trying to get ahold of OSU to inquire where the drugs might be, but hasn't had any luck. She even went exploring on their website. I'm almost positive she called Stephanie Yochum the first time, so I'm not sure what is going on.

We also talked about the chemo treatment and she is fine with doing just the carbo, she mentioned that OSU uses one drug or the other, not both. She said we can get started there with the carbo once the infection clears up....which looking at the incision today I think she would be able to get it Friday if we had the drug. I hate to pay $500+ when we can get it for free and save that money for whatever else treatments she needs.

Does anyone have the secret code or handshake that we need to get someone from OSU to respond to us?? I'm getting really stressed out over this. I will gladly pay to have it shipped overnight, but who can I talk to?

stepping off my :sbox now. :blush

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Me too!

I still haven't been able to write Neyla's remembrance thread. :(

I've noticed, Jen. I've been watching for it.

I've been where you are, so I hope it doesn't sound insensitive if I suggest you start it. Just make a rough draft. Write for a bit, tell a funny story about her--maybe tell about how you met her in the first place. When it gets too hard, close the draft--save it. Then start to think about what else you want to tell us about her. Maybe write parts of it in your head when you're driving home and realizing she won't be there to meet you. You can add the new bits, save the draft, and leave it to simmer for a while longer. But start making yourself remember her life--not her death.

And sort through pictures of her. Find your favorite pictures, maybe think about making a slideshow of them.

Writing the whole thing at once is just too daunting. You don't want to leave out the important stuff, and you're still feeling raw. You're afraid the post will be too much pain, not enough joy to do justice to your life with Neyla (or with Sparks, Kari).

But I think you don't start getting over the pain until you've done the things you have to do: the memorial. And maybe a new signature. And making yourself remember the good stuff, the funny events, is a way to start routinely remembering the good times, while the bad times sink down to a bearable level.

You don't have to post a memorial--ever. But you know you want to honor your greyhounds. So start small. Tomorrow, you can play with the words, make it say what you want it to say. And one day--maybe sooner than you think--you'll be ready to say "done" and post it.

We love you both, Jen and Kari, and we're feeling such pain with you.

Take care.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh my :weep I'm so sorry for the tragic loss of your beautiful girl Oreo. What a lovely tribute. :bighug

I've noticed, Jen. I've been watching for it.

I've been where you are

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I just need to report something happy here! Seems like this thread gets so sad - not that I'm trying to diminish the sadness - just... {{{sigh}}}

Anyway - Dude roached today! Full on his back, antennae leg pointed to the sky! His one back leg stretched out! He had to try a couple times to get the balance right, but he got it!

And my camera was downstairs doing me NO good whatsoever! He's been a total pill today and I finally had to put the Cone on him so he would leave his bandage alone. He goes back to the hospital Friday when they will hopefully close his wound and put in a drain. If that goes well, he might start chemo next week. I hate putting it off, but you have to do what you have to do and it won't get done any sooner than it does.

Hugs to everyone!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yay, Dude!

I think good news is always welcomed here.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Lucy is doing well. We had a pretty quiet night, she slept a lot and only woke up a couple of times and needed help standing up to change position. The Fentanyl patch is still on and I think that combined with the Tramadol is keeping her pretty sedated (which is good). She didn't like the sling, so we're just leaving her 2-Hounds harness on her and use it to grab her if she needs help standing or balancing. She goes out to potty and hops along very quickly (too quickly - DH goes out with her on leash in the yard to try to slow her down, but she hates it). Her appetite was better yesterday than it is today and she seems kind of burpy and has some gurgles going on in her belly, so I called the vet and we are going to increase her Pepcid and hold off on some of her meds tonight. She will happily eat as much chicken as you put in front of her. :rolleyes: Really, she's just sleeping/resting almost 24/7 and seems comfortable, we're not seeing any panting or pacing. I'm glad she's resting.

My dad (one of her favorite people) came over early this morning to pick me up and when he rang the doorbell, she jumped up and hopped away so quickly that my DH, who was working on his laptop on the couch, couldn't grab her before she got all the way across the kitchen and almost to the door. :lol I came down the stairs to answer the door and it gave me a good laugh to see her zooming across the floor with my husband running to catch up with her. :) We try to hold onto her while she's moving around since she's still wobbly, but she doesn't want any help.

So overall, it's going well and I'm glad we brought her home yesterday. Amazingly, I haven't cried since picking her up. It was startling to see her stump but I had been preparing for it. She seemed a little anxious/uncertain when we were picking her up from the vet and I wanted to be reassuring for her, and amazingly have been able to keep it together.

Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts. :)

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Yeah Lucy!!! You go girl!!!!

I think going faster is actually easier than going slower. As long as she's maintaining her balance, I might let her go as she wants.

Loved reading the happy update on Lucy!! Hope her tummy feels better.

Finally got the OSU bit resolved. I called up there myself (I was leary since it kind of specified that number for a vet), but was so relieved to finally talk to someone. I started to explain my tale of woe to a nice and patient man and then started crying like a weirdo :blush After taking mine and Callie's name, he couldn't find any info that the drugs had been sent the week before so he put me straight through to Dr. Marin! She told me they would ship the drugs today. I asked if I could pay to have the sent overnight and she said that won't be necessary, they always send them overnight.

She has sent me two follow-up emails, apologized for the inconvenience, told me that the drugs had been sent, how they were sent, what time they should arrive and said to give Callie a hug from her - what an AWESOME LADY!!

Drugs should be at the vets by 1030am, so Callie should get her first chemo at 1pm! :clover WHEW, so relieved!

That is wonderful news about Lucy. What a strong girl she is. Glad to hear Callie will start her chemo tomorrow.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Kari, how are you doing this morning? Migraine gone at least?

Yes, it's just a dull headache now. Thanks!

I was doing so good not crying. Co-workers each brought me a card, I teared up but didn't cry. They are awesome!

Then I had to write his memorial for my group- I lost it.

Doing the rememberance thread for GT will be worse. Waiting until this afternoon to try to tackle that.

It's been almost 4 months since we lost Sutra and I haven't been able to write anything yet :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Tiny had another good day. He played in the yard. Just once, while he was sleeping on the couch this evening, he suddenly started crying. Scared the bejeebers out of me... didn't know what to do. It passed and he went back to sleep.

We're having to start the search for a stand-in for Tiny. I hate it. Don't want to look for another dog... Tiny is perfect. But Raven can't live as an only dog even for a very short time, and if we want someone cat-safe and confident we have to get the ball rolling now. Right now the group has an unusually large number of cat-safe dogs, and if we wait that might not be the case.

We had to go through this with Argus, too. There was that frantic search for an appropriate companion for Raven, right at the same time we were dealing with his illness. It ended well--we got Tiny--but it felt almost like treason to be looking for another dog while he was still with us. I was afraid the adoption group would think we were heartless, but they understood and helped us find the right dog to fill Argus's "shoes" so that Raven would never be alone. Sucks that we have to do it again, though.

Poor Raven. She will have outlived two of her cherished companions.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Chris, isn't it great when they first roach again? Sounds like Dude is doing very well.

Jess, so happy to hear Lucy is home and doing well. Yes, they move quite fast don't they? She sounds like just Charlie was, a little wobbly, but up and about quickly. You'll notice like Chris said, that going faster seems to be better for them.

Kari, we're still thinking of you and Sparks. Take care of yourself and I loved the party pictures of him.

Kim, that is great news the chemo drugs are on the way. I hope the treatments go well.

I feel like the veteran around here...love to read the news about those pups fighting the fight and finding great sadness in those that are gone. I wish there was no Osteo, I wish our pups could live out healthy happy lives as they are only here for so long. Okay enough of the blubbery stuff, onto good news. Charlie is doing well and is cheeky as ever. Here he is cruising around without a coat on.

DSC_02902473.jpg

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.