Chase Needs Prayers

Guest LindsaySF

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

Many prayers for Chase. :hope

Not to minimize anything, but a 16 lb weight loss in a 13 year old hound does not surprise me. Stepper lost weight after about 12-1/2, nothing wrong, just a much older hound, ate well, just could not keep weight on him. He was very much loved. The dehydration concerns me unless she was sick, or it came on rapidly, as we all know it can. It is quite possible there is more going on and the family cannot bring themselves to put her to sleep - some folks are that way.

I am not here to judge them, just to pray for the best for Chase. :hope

Continued prayers for Chase :hope

I think the economy has a lot to do with returns too. Sad but reality.

Edited by PhillyPups

Chase will be in my thoughts. :hope

I hope she doesn't have an underlying medical condition. Our 13 year old that we lost in July had several mystery things going on, along with kidney failure, and lost a lot of weight rapidly.

This was my thought as well. If bloodwork doesn't show anything, you may want to try an ultrasound to see if there is a tumor on the liver. With the weight loss and dehydration, there could be liver cancer.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

:goodluck for Chase, and for the old boy too.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest OurLacyandJax

Chase, I wish you were here around in St.Louis, I would have dropped in on him with some delicious treats.

And - how can someone let this happen? Astounding. I am sorry - I do not understand how someone can do this to a dog, no matter what the circumstances are. If it was a genuine medical condition, and they did everything under the sun for him, I would understand. But dehydrated??

OMG. :ohno Poor Chase :cry1

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts for her. I hope she pulls through and is able to enjoy the last years of her life with a loving family. :goodluck :goodluck :candle :candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest LindsaySF

I called the vet this morning for an update and things look good. Chase ate the food they gave her and kept it down. They want to keep her until this afternoon to try to get a fecal sample, but she should be discharged today. Because she doesn't have any digestive symptoms the vet said she will hold off on doing an x-ray or ultrasound (for suspected cancer). If she has any symptoms in foster care, or she still can't gain weight, that will be our next step. Her bloodwork looks normal (no kidney failure, etc), so we are hoping this is "just" a case of starvation.

~Lindsay~

Guest Swifthounds

Her bloodwork looks normal (no kidney failure, etc), so we are hoping this is "just" a case of starvation.

I'm glad the bloodwork was normal. If that's coupled with rehydration and some weight gain on some good groceries, you may well be right that it's "just" a case of starvation. I just hope pictures are taken and health condition is well documented, because if it is "just" starvaction (even through neglect), it should be documented and referred to the proper investigating authority for possible charges.

I hate to say it, but greyhound adoption groups are starting to get a bad reputation for being a place to dump a dog you've already neglected or mistreated because, unlike other shelters, they foot the bill and take no action. That has the unintended consequence of encouraging abuse and neglect.

And, yes, I do understand that elderly hounds can lose weight, but 30% is a lot of weight to lose. Even my Comet, who is 13 has always been a hard keeper and has struggled with illness, injury, and recovery from surgery in recent months (and is quite thin despite having multiple meals per day) is down less than half that amount.

Edited by Swifthounds

Prayers for Chase, hoping she makes a quick recovery and is soon living in the lap of luxury. Lindsay, you are a God send to all the Greys, thank you for caring for them, it is a huge task as so many seem to be returned @ the same time :( Keep up the greyt work, you are an amazing person!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

That update sounds positive! I'm so glad you and WAG were able to get her to a vet when she desperately needed help. This precious girl deserves to be safe and spoiled in her senior years, and can use every prayer and good thought we send.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I hate to say it, but greyhound adoption groups are starting to get a bad reputation for being a place to dump a dog you've already neglected or mistreated because, unlike other shelters, they foot the bill and take no action. That has the unintended consequence of encouraging abuse and neglect.

How would you suggest adoption groups handle these types of situations? How do you think groups are encouraging abuse and neglect? I'm just really curious...

Good update, by the way smile.gif

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Maybe Swifthounds was saying that by not pursuing criminal charges against people that adoption groups are aware have neglected/abused dogs that is "encouraging" abuse?? Unfortunately, it is a double edged sword for adoption groups. In reality they must provide enough evidence that it will rise to the level of probable cause in order for the local animal control officer/police department to seek a warrant. Many CT ACOs do not even realize that they have the ability to seek arrest warrants. The offenses for which the person may be charged are, unfortunately, most often misdemeanors. The warrant needs to be drafted, it needs to be presented to the prosecutor and he/she needs to sign-off on it and it needs to go to a judge to be signed. If that all happens, then it may be executed. Then the accused makes court appearances. Charges will sometimes be dismissed or nolled but most often will move forward and the defendant will have the opportunity to accept or reject a plea deal offered or go to trial. But, if the charges are less than a C felony and the accused has no record he/she should be eligible for a pre-trial diversionary program called Accelerated Rehabilitation. And It would be difficult for a judge to deny by law. Successful completion of the program acts as a dismissal of the charges. (All of this is not entirely formulaic and depends upon the circumstances). All the while the adoption group that brought the charges is involved, even if the involvement is not intense. It takes time and energy away from their focus of placing dogs.

But I think the primary deterrent perhaps to seeking prosecution is that it may prevent some people who have been abusive from surrendering their hounds. If they believe charges are forthcoming owners may fight surrender and force seizure which takes time or if the problem has not come to anyone's attention they may just let the dog(s) die. Either way the dogs are in more danger if people are afraid to look for help for the dogs.

Please note I am not discouraging prosecution, only stating that it is a difficult position for the adoption group to be in. (And no, I do not represent any group). I am happy to hear initially good news for Chase and will keep checking this thread.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

How would you suggest adoption groups handle these types of situations? How do you think groups are encouraging abuse and neglect? I'm just really curious...

Good update, by the way smile.gif

What else can you do but take them in? People who let their dogs' get in this condition won't turn them in, they'll dump them on the side of the road, if they think they will encounter condemnation. As groups we can talk till our faces turn blue, turn them into the authorities or even shoot them and it won't change a thing. From our perspective it has to be all about the dogs. Get the dog anyway you can!

:hope she gains some weight and is ok

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Swifthounds

The same way a hospital or school would if they had reason to believe a person was being subjected to abuse/neglect - document the situation and present it to the authorities (law enforcement or the local prosecutor).

Maybe Swifthounds was saying that by not pursuing criminal charges against people that adoption groups are aware have neglected/abused dogs that is "encouraging" abuse?? Unfortunately, it is a double edged sword for adoption groups. In reality they must provide enough evidence that it will rise to the level of probable cause in order for the local animal control officer/police department to seek a warrant. Many CT ACOs do not even realize that they have the ability to seek arrest warrants. The offenses for which the person may be charged are, unfortunately, most often misdemeanors. The warrant needs to be drafted, it needs to be presented to the prosecutor and he/she needs to sign-off on it and it needs to go to a judge to be signed. If that all happens, then it may be executed. Then the accused makes court appearances. Charges will sometimes be dismissed or nolled but most often will move forward and the defendant will have the opportunity to accept or reject a plea deal offered or go to trial. But, if the charges are less than a C felony and the accused has no record he/she should be eligible for a pre-trial diversionary program called Accelerated Rehabilitation. And It would be difficult for a judge to deny by law. Successful completion of the program acts as a dismissal of the charges. (All of this is not entirely formulaic and depends upon the circumstances). All the while the adoption group that brought the charges is involved, even if the involvement is not intense. It takes time and energy away from their focus of placing dogs.

But I think the primary deterrent perhaps to seeking prosecution is that it may prevent some people who have been abusive from surrendering their hounds. If they believe charges are forthcoming owners may fight surrender and force seizure which takes time or if the problem has not come to anyone's attention they may just let the dog(s) die. Either way the dogs are in more danger if people are afraid to look for help for the dogs.

Please note I am not discouraging prosecution, only stating that it is a difficult position for the adoption group to be in. (And no, I do not represent any group). I am happy to hear initially good news for Chase and will keep checking this thread.

Yes, most states have diversionary programs. Yes, in some instances abuse/neglect of an animal will only rise to the level of a municipal/disorderly persons/misdemeanor offense. If charged, the individual may be eligible for a diversionary program, though many states the prosecuting has discretion to exclude the person from such a program. If granted a diversionary program and the end result is dismissal there are still two important measures almost universally in place: 1) other contact with law enforcement can cause termination from the diversion and 2) the person may not be eligible for diversion again should there be a similar incident.

We seem to universally assume that a person who surrenders an old dog after neglecting it for reasons possibly including being overwhelmed by a new baby or life changes won't acquire animals again, but usually, they do. The same lack of understanding that causes them to neglect the dog in the first place causes them to seek out a dog again when the immediate pressure subsides. Sometimes the end up on DNA lists, but without documentation, DNAs can cause a group a lot of headaches.

What else can you do but take them in? People who let their dogs' get in this condition won't turn them in, they'll dump them on the side of the road, if they think they will encounter condemnation. As groups we can talk till our faces turn blue, turn them into the authorities or even shoot them and it won't change a thing. From our perspective it has to be all about the dogs. Get the dog anyway you can!

Getting the dog is a separate issue from what happens after. Focusing on solely that ignores the fact that the very same person will almost certainly turn around at a future point and adopt again. There's no reliable way to predict everyone who might starve/neglect/abuse a hound, but when they do so and nothing changes, they are more likely to repeat the behavior in the future. When it happens to a second hound, how is that not a preventable tragedy?

I'm not advocating stringing people up, but I admit that I'm surprised that it's such a non-issue to harm one dog, while GTers are ready to string up every hoarder with a profound mental illness. Is it a numbers game?

The same way a hospital or school would if they had reason to believe a person was being subjected to abuse/neglect - document the situation and present it to the authorities (law enforcement or the local prosecutor).

I'm not advocating stringing people up, but I admit that I'm surprised that it's such a non-issue to harm one dog, while GTers are ready to string up every hoarder with a profound mental illness. Is it a numbers game?

This is completely off topic but you make some assumptions. For one, groups DO report incidents of neglect. It's just that 99% of them go no where. If the ACO won't make a case, then adoption groups are supposed to do what?

And two, I don't have any idea where you are getting the impression that it's "a non-issue to harm one dog". It's never a non-issue to harm any dog, and those active in adoption groups deal with trying to help "one more dog" all the time.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Rolling my eyes so hard my head hurts.

Prayers and love in the air for sweet Chase. Thanks for doing all that you do to help her and so many like her. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~