Chase Needs Prayers

Guest LindsaySF

Wonderful to see the good initial medical report. Here's hoping that Chase is enjoying her fresh water and frequent tasty meals, and I'm sure frequent petting from vet staff. And that she isn't too freaked out at being at a strange place -- a vet clinic at that -- and can be released soon into one of WAG's kind and caring foster homes.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swifthounds

This is completely off topic but you make some assumptions. For one, groups DO report incidents of neglect. It's just that 99% of them go no where. If the ACO won't make a case, then adoption groups are supposed to do what?

I said I hoped the group documented and referred. As with most things, if the authorities don't pursue it, they don't pursue it. Not every referral results in prosecution. A lot of times it can result in better resources and an opportunity to educate people. Not everyone who neglects a dog does so with malice. Quite the opposite, actually. Some of those folks are surprised to find out later they're on a DNA list.

Anyway, hoping for continued improvement and a new life for Chase.

I hate to say it, but greyhound adoption groups are starting to get a bad reputation for being a place to dump a dog you've already neglected or mistreated because, unlike other shelters, they foot the bill and take no action. That has the unintended consequence of encouraging abuse and neglect.

where exactly are you getting this information? you never did say. are you interviewing animal abusers? just wondering.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest LindsaySF

Pictures have been taken. Everything has been documented. The proper authorities have been alerted. It is up to them to pursue this and decide whether or not they have a case, and we will assist if we can. But WAG's focus will be on caring for Chase and nursing her back to health.

Chase was discharged from the vet hospital this evening and she's at my house. She is eating everything she is given, but I am limiting her to small frequent meals. Her teeth are absolutely horrible, so I'm feeding her I/D canned food and some I/D kibble mixed with water. I also bought some vanilla Ensure but I haven't given any yet. She is also getting a Pepcid AC every 12 hours.

She freaked out at the vet yesterday when they tried to put the IV in, and she cut her leg with a toe nail from her back foot. It started bleeding again once we got home so I wrapped it. She did NOT like that at all. She's pretty spunky and stubborn, and she has a mind of her own. She doesn't like being restrained and she'll let you know it!

She is resting comfortably right now in an ex-pen. She has a long recovery ahead of her. If she is able to gain weight this week then I'm cautiously optimistic that she will pull through this and there isn't an underlying cause for her condition, aside from simple lack of food. Time will tell.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts and prayers!

~Lindsay~

More good thoughts for Chase. I hope she improves and packs a few pounds. Thank you for taking her in.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest LindsaySF

The patient. (I decided not to post any graphic photos of her. At least not until we know if a case will be moving forward against the former owners).

167083_662467592713_24204182_37645125_2186626_n.jpg

~Lindsay~

Guest Swifthounds

Awww, she looks sweet. Any dog will be stressed at the vet, but she's sure had a lot change in a short time. Here's hoping she has a nice calm week at home ahead.

Guest LindsaySF

Chase has a good strong spirit. I think it will help her. :)

I put her outside to potty this morning and stood on the brick patio while she was in the yard. She didn't come back after pottying, so I went inside to get my boots so I could retrieve her. When I turned back to the door she was there! The dog who could barely walk yesterday climbed the 4 deck stairs all on her own. :)

~Lindsay~

Awesome news!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Terrific news. Thank you for updating us.

Also - I have been mulling this over in terms of what action to pursue for the deadbeat parents of these dogs. Prosecution as someone said here, comes with it's own peril for other dogs that might be going through the same horrible situation. Not doing anything is an option, but that is just leaving a bad taste of justice not being served.

Is it possible to come up with some sort of a "Do Not Let These People Adopt a Dog Ever" list that is rather universally available and easily enforceable? I mean - it would give me a lot of satisfaction to imagine the scenario when the dad has to explain to his now 5-year son that he cannot have a dog (at least, not a greyhound) because of something the family did five years ago.

Privately, I am sure all groups maintain this list - or at least they should. But are they shared?

Thank you, Lindsay, for all you do! Kisses to Chase and prayers for continued recovery.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest LindsaySF

OurLacyandJax, I don't think there is any central DNA list anywhere. But we do share DNA notices with local groups. I suppose it's possible for someone to move across the country and for the groups in that area to not be aware of a DNA on them.

Chase gets so excited when she sees the food bowl come out. Her teeth chatter so hard in excitement that her whole face shakes! I just gave her another snack and she ran (aka hobbled) across the kitchen chasing me down for the bowl. It's breaking my heart. :(

~Lindsay~

Guest OurLacyandJax

Here's wishing to the times when Chase is just content to see the food bowl come out..I know with you, Lindsay, she will get there soon!

DNA - so that's the name for this list. Shows you how little I know. It seems to me it is a fairly easy (with some communication) to enable a process where we can automate and centralize this list, where every adoption group can do a quick look up.

May be I will start with my local group here, GCMO.

Guest K9Cookies

Seriously, Lindsay...thank you SO much for everything you do. :bow2 It's amazing to read about all of the hounds you've helped.

Here's hoping that Chase has a complete recovery and gains some weight back quickly. :goodluck She sounds like a spunky old gal. :)

Guest FreddyGirl

Such wonderful news. So relieved she received a good bill of health and is loving her meals!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU Lindsay..................................

You are an awesome person :wub:

It sounds like she is a spunky little girl. Prayers that she continues to improve.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest 2dogs4cats

Lindsay, I don't know you, but WOW. You do so much for the pups! I just had to give you a shout out.

I think a national DNA database would be such a good idea. Insurance companies keep a database on people who file claims. Companies are required to report to it and it's accessible only to certain groups (not public info). There should be something similar so that abusers cannot adopt again.

Mary

Thank you so much for that update, brought tears to my eyes. You are a very special person, so glad she is with you, she deserves to know the love you are giving her.