Chase Needs Prayers

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

Chase did show that bandage who's boss. :lol

Thanks MP! I will keep ya updated. :) Last I talked to them they were still interested, so we'll see!

Chase does not realize her limitations. My dogs have all been pooping on the brick walkway that is shoveled, they won't dare go into the yard. :lol But little Chase decided to climb over a 2+ foot tall snow bank to get to the rest of the yard, and she slid down the hill because it's just a sheet of ice. :( Now she's not allowed into the main yard, I set up a small turn-out pen for her (what I use when I have broken leg dogs here that can't be allowed to run/trot).

As skinny as she is now, I imagine that Chase could turn into a little porker at some point! She eats everything in sight, she doesn't even chew. This might be because of her starved condition, or she might just be a food hound. We'll have to see how she acts around food once she's at a healthy weight.

Thank you everyone for keeping Chase in your thoughts and prayers. They are working. :)

~Lindsay~

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fringepup

I keep checking your post for her progress and wanted to say that she is very beautiful and she sounds like a real sweetheart! Her story breaks my heart but I am happy to read that she is now doing well and bouncing back like a champ. She must have quite a spirit in her! If I may ask, please give that little girl a kiss for me! Thanks.

Guest greytbookert

Chase did show that bandage who's boss. :lol

Thanks MP! I will keep ya updated. :) Last I talked to them they were still interested, so we'll see!

Chase does not realize her limitations. My dogs have all been pooping on the brick walkway that is shoveled, they won't dare go into the yard. :lol But little Chase decided to climb over a 2+ foot tall snow bank to get to the rest of the yard, and she slid down the hill because it's just a sheet of ice. :( Now she's not allowed into the main yard, I set up a small turn-out pen for her (what I use when I have broken leg dogs here that can't be allowed to run/trot).

As skinny as she is now, I imagine that Chase could turn into a little porker at some point! She eats everything in sight, she doesn't even chew. This might be because of her starved condition, or she might just be a food hound. We'll have to see how she acts around food once she's at a healthy weight.

Thank you everyone for keeping Chase in your thoughts and prayers. They are working. :)

~Lindsay~

Awww, poor Chase!

I know Cindy got a little chunky after awhile. She's since lost the weight, thank goodness. However, it is hard to remove the images of their starved condition from your mind. I know it was hard for us to "see" a healthy weight, since our minds just reverted back to the ugliness.

It's been a year for Cindy and she is still a food hound if that makes you feel any better... :lol

Still sending prayers for Chase... oh how is her bloodwork?

Guest PhillyPups

Good update on this sweet senior girl.

My Moe came from a situation where there was quite a lack of food for a while, and she continues to eat with a vengance, almost as if the food is going to run out if she doesn't get it first, I think she will always be like this.

Very Happy to hear all the positive updates..... She is a little fighter! :wub: Thanks Again Lindsay!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest LindsaySF
Still sending prayers for Chase... oh how is her bloodwork?

Her bloodwork was pretty normal the day she arrived. (The vet called it "unremarkable"). There was one value slightly off, I don't recall what it was, but the vet said it was most likely due to Chase's very dehydrated state. I am going to have them repeat the bloodwork on Monday to make sure that value is back to normal, now that she's eating and hydrated well. So we'll see!

~Lindsay~

Hey guys not for nothing but not only do I leave in CT but I've been to her house. I KNOW where this sweet girl IS. And I would LOVE to take her in! B)

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Do I need to be worried about you showing up on my doorstep Holly? :lol

B)

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Lindsay, I've been posting in Health and Medical about my Harley, who is very, very ill right now with IBD, and I just saw this thread about Chase. Harley is a WAG doggie too, who adopted me in 2003, when we got to know each other in Agnes P.'s back yard.

I'm glad to hear that Chase is doing so well given the poor state she was in when you all got her. It's so greyt to hear a good story about one of these sweet seniors.

You guys at WAG do such a wonderful job, and I'll be forever grateful for my own trip to CT. Harley was a 3 week return, as I was told, because his first owner could not housebreak him in three weeks, so their loss was my blessing.

I hope Chase continues her path to back to health, and onto a new forever home. She's so beautiful, and those jammies look greyt on her!

I cannot understand neglect of a pet. I hope the human children in that family fare better than Chase did.

Keep up the good work Chase! Sending many prayers and white lights for your continued progress,

Sherry

Guest LindsaySF

Hi Sherry,

I remember meeting you briefly at GIG last year. :) I've been following Harley's thread. I hope he continues to get better! :hope

~Lindsay~

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Hi Sherry,

I remember meeting you briefly at GIG last year. :) I've been following Harley's thread. I hope he continues to get better! :hope

~Lindsay~

Time flies - it was the year before last - I missed last year due to surgery. :) Thank you for your well wishes for Harley. :)

Hope Chase continues to improve! I have a soft spot for seniors, and Chase is a beauty.

Edited by HappyHarleysMom

Guest LindsaySF

I wanted to update everyone on Chase. According to my scale she had gained 8 pounds. According to the vet's scale on Monday (14 days out) she had gained only 6 pounds. (She's 45 lbs, her racing weight was 55 lbs). I'm glad for the weight gain, but I wish it had been more! I suppose some of this could be because she's 13 years old, it can be hard to keep weight on the old pups anyway. :dunno

Cindy Maxwell donated a pair of jammies to Chase. Cindy was a starvation case herself a year ago (she came back from only 30 pounds). Thanks Maxwell family! You are too kind. :)

ChaseCindyPJs_crop.jpg

Now for the not so great news. Chase's "cut" on her butt is not healing very well. :( I assumed she had cut it during her fall on the ice, but now I'm thinking it might have been a pressure sore that started bleeding as a result of the fall. It looks more like a pressure sore aka bed sore. (She wears jammies 24/7 because she'd be too cold otherwise, so it's possible it had started to grow without my noticing, and then the ice incident busted it open. I don't really know for sure).

Either way, it is in an awkward position (right on her hip bone where she lays), so it is having a heard time healing. I keep putting bandages on it and changing them 2-3 times a day, to cushion it and prevent debris from entering. Chase started antibiotics on Monday to prevent infection, and now she has an upset tummy. She is refusing kibble so I am giving her boiled chicken and some canned food. I'm hoping the timing of her meals and Pepcid will fix this problem. She can't afford to be picky right now, she needs to gain more weight! (Another problem we are having with her pickyness is getting her pills into her. I tried to pill her and she snarled and tried to bite me. Bad girl Chase. rolleyes.gif)

Also, her bloodwork was okay, but not as perfect as we'd like it. The first day WAG had Chase one of her liver values was wonky, the vet said it could be due to dehydration, starvation, or stress. That value is normal now, yay! :) One of her kidney values was also high the first day. It was lower on Monday, so it did go down, but it's still slightly higher than normal. I am going to ask which value it is (as Greyhounds run higher than average Creatinine values right?), but hopefully a follow-up urinalysis will rule out any kidney issues.

So there's the scoop! Thank you everyone for keeping Chase in your thoughts. :)

~Lindsay~

Also, her bloodwork was okay, but not as perfect as we'd like it. The first day WAG had Chase one of her liver values was wonky, the vet said it could be due to dehydration, starvation, or stress. That value is normal now, yay! :) One of her kidney values was also high the first day. It was lower on Monday, so it did go down, but it's still slightly higher than normal. I am going to ask which value it is (as Greyhounds run higher than average Creatinine values right?), but hopefully a follow-up urinalysis will rule out any kidney issues.

So there's the scoop! Thank you everyone for keeping Chase in your thoughts. :)

~Lindsay~

Yes on the kidney values. See OSU's site for all the specifics on "normal" for grey kidney values. I sure hope she feels better soon. Can they give her a different antibiotics if her tummy is still bothering her in a couple days? Poor Chase. I hope she's back track soon!! She is a little beauty.

finalsiggy.jpg

I'm glad she's gained some weight. Ask the vet if you can put her on some probiotics to help with the belly. My foster was on ABs for 4 weeks and the vet gave us some and his stomach was great. As for giving pills, I found putting the pill in some fluff works really well. Probably better than peanut better because it's really, really sticky. I hope she continues to make progress.

It's good progress overall. Much work for you but so good for Chase. For her sore, can you get a large sponge or piece of foam, cut a hole in it & apply it around the sore? Picture something like a donut. Some folks with down dogs have had some success with this approach. It pads the area around the sore preventing pressure on the sore & allowing more airflow. Thought it worth throwing out the idea. Hope it heals quickly, her appetite picks back up & she continues to gain weight. You're doing a fantastic job.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

It's good progress overall. Much work for you but so good for Chase. For her sore, can you get a large sponge or piece of foam, cut a hole in it & apply it around the sore? Picture something like a donut. Some folks with down dogs have had some success with this approach. It pads the area around the sore preventing pressure on the sore & allowing more airflow. Thought it worth throwing out the idea. Hope it heals quickly, her appetite picks back up & she continues to gain weight. You're doing a fantastic job.

If she's wearing pajamas, can you attach a feminine napkin on the inside of the garment to create a bit of a padding. Maybe one on each side of the sore?

I think 6 lbs. over 2 weeks is a good weight gain for a senior. Go Chase! I hope you're able to find a method to keep her tummy happy with the antibiotics. Skin sores can be tough to heal in any circumstances.

I agree with above posters on the kidney values. I think the general rule of thumb for greys is that a higher creatinine level is not of concern (within reason) as long as the BUN is okay.

Nice jammies, Chasie girl!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Our Tucker had several awful bedsores when he was down 3 weeks after a stroke. A nurse who was into greyhound adoption told me to spread very thick lotion on the sores to protect and heal up the sores. I don't remember how many times a day I applied it but it worked! We turned him fairly often too but that doesn't apply to Chase.:)

Guest LindsaySF

Thanks everyone! :)

Chase still has a poor appetite due to the Clavamox. It's been a struggle getting her to eat! <_< Some things that have worked (but not every time) are boiled chicken, cheese, scrambled eggs, McDonald's chicken nuggets, and soft stinky dog treats. I don't even cook for myself but I've been cooking for Chase. :lol I've been syringe-feeding her to supplement her sporadic eating (A/D or I/D canned blended with Ensure). I weighed her at Petsmart on Saturday and she was 46.5 lbs, so at least her weight is steady.

I tried padding the sore but I couldn't get anything to stick to the jammies. I ended up covering the sore with a non-stick pad, applying "Wound Lotion", and taping it to her fur (nowhere to put vet wrap). The good news is after twice daily bandage changes and cleansing for the past week, the wound just started to scab over last night! :yay I think the antibiotics played a role there as well. I'm hoping we can either stop the Clavamox now, or switch to something else, to improve her appetite.

Any advice for her upset stomach, or getting her to eat?

~Lindsay~