Chase Needs Prayers

Guest LindsaySF

how about yogurt? There's a person locally here that sells "liver icecream" in the summer. It's actually yogurt & Liver blended and frozen. The dogs go crazy for it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swifthounds

Yeah, clavamox is known for being one of the worst on the tummy. It's very broad spectrum (also why when given to women, a good doctor will call in something for a yeast infection), so it's a common choice where the cause of infection is unknown. It might be worth it to stop the antibiotic or switch to something less irritating.

Have you considered using emt gel and leaving the wound uncovered?

I have never been able to tolerate antibiotics -- they make my tender intestines worse than they already are and give me horrid D within 2 days. BUT - in December I went on a pre and probiotic combination before taking clarithromycin for 10 days. I had NO trouble and normal BMs, something I haven't had in 9 years without antibiotics!

Maybe a pre/probiotic combo would make her feel generally better. Probiotics alone didn't help my GI tract at all; the prebiotics did. I tried Frindly Flora from Procaps Labs. Just another thought for your first aid arsenal. It's very inexpensive too and contains the combo. :colgate This may well make her feel well enough to eat. I agree to stropping the antibiotics if she has no life-threatening infection.

I second the pre and pro-biotics. I also second something to coat her stomach.

Not sure if a little plain keifer with her food would be enough here as far as the probiotics. The vet should be able to recommend something (and maybe a recc on the bandage situation too- since they have to bandage weird furry places all the time!). And usually I think pro/prebiotics are continued for two weeks after the antibiotics are stopped.

The antibiotics, once started, usually have to be finished. But, I am not sure if they could be switched. Another question for the vet. Would be great if they could get her on something gentler.

And I agree stinky food seems to be the order for encouraging eating. McDonald's, tripe, sardines. Maybe not the easiest on the stomach, but having an empty stomach is no good!

Poor girl, I feel for her. I do not tolerate them well either. But I also, like MZH, believe that these measures help. Glad to hear she's maintaining her weight in spite of it all. Go Chase!!

finalsiggy.jpg

Fat Balls!

raw hamburger, raw eggs with shells, molasses, wheat germ, gelatin, veg oil ,, darn it, and something else,, all mixed together,, feed raw, my doggies love them and will eat 5-6 at a time ,, perfect for getting pills down too.

you might have to search for the recipe, or I have it, just need to find it for you.

Good luck. the old ones are special, and you are doing a wonderful job!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest LindsaySF

Thanks guys. :) I have a call in to the vet asking these questions.

Chase is already getting Pepcid. We've been giving it all along because she was so starved. I had been giving her the Clavamox with her food and Pepcid, but she vomited. I switched to giving her the food and Pepcid first, then the Clavamox about an hour later, and she hasn't vomited since. But her appetite is still poor. Maybe Carafate and some pre/pro-biotics? The good news is her stool is still normal/solid (I'm surprised about that actually).

I've read about satin/fat balls, but I'm hesitant to feed her anything really high-fat due to pancreatitis concerns. Her system is just not used to having food in it, and I'm worried about overwhelming her. The scrambled eggs worried me a bit too. Is there a way to make a lower fat version of satin balls?

Last night I was able to get her to eat some canned dog food by sprinkling parmesan cheese on top. That didn't work today though. I have also tried canned tuna and canned chicken (smells like tuna), but no go. I forgot about green tripe. I'll have to look for some at the store once the snow lets up.

~Lindsay~

Lindsey- Thank you for helping Chase. When my food hound Maddie stopped eating all of her food and leaving most of it in the dish (she still ate her treats though LOL) I resorted to applesauce on top of her food. She started to lose a pound or 2 which is nothing for her but I wanted to nip it in the bud. I found out she liked applesauce after I had a snack pack container of it while on the couch and she stuck her nose in and started slurping away. She is now once again a member of the clean plate club. Just an idea for Chase.

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I really, really wish you'd get her off the antibiotics unless there is a compelling reason not to. She was eating fine without them but not so good after adding them. Since her blood work was quite good for an old lady, she'd probably be OK with a topical antibiotic on the injury.

Just a thought; Pepcid is an antacid. What if her stomach doesn't need an antacid? That would cause her to have low stomach acid, which can cause a different set of digestion problems. This is not conventional thinking but that's how I think. B)

Edited b/c I don't see errors until after I post. :rolleyes:

Edited by MZH

Guest LindsaySF

The vet called me back. We are going to try to finish 1-2 more days of the Clavamox, but we won't go another week. Her sore is scabbed over and on its way to healing, if it wasn't then the vet said she would recommend a different antibiotic for the next 7 days. She said if Chase starts vomiting or gets worse, I can stop the Clavamox now.

Marcia, the vet put Chase on the antibiotics mostly because of her sore, but she was also thinking it would benefit her nasty teeth and provide some protection from any circulating bacteria from her teeth/gums. She really needs a dental, but I don't want to put her under until she gains some more weight, and she might not gain weight on the antibiotic, which she needs because of her teeth. Talk about a catch 22 situation! lol.gif

~Lindsay~

Guest greytbookert

Hi Lindsay,

I'm sorry to hear that Chase isn't progressing as we'd all like. You've gotten some very good suggestions to entice her to eat. Green tripe always worked here and I would be hesitant on the satin balls as well but maybe a couple in moderation might entice her. We didn't go that route with Cindy but she put on weight pretty easily once her parasite infestation was brought under control.

Some other suggestions, not sure if its been mentioned yet but Jack Mackerel, canned salmon, sardines are fun additions and by fun, I mean stinky. We also had some luck with Booker with a little bit of canned cat food, not too much but enough to get the juices flowing so to speak. As you learned parm cheese works, sometimes, not all the time and I've learned that sometimes it will work again. Fruit/yogurt smoothies was another item that worked pretty well to entice some eating, low in fat and you get calories and yogurt benefits, just be careful not to get the kind with sugar substitutes.

I know you don't cook much but you could get some chicken livers ($1.00 per pound), grind them in a food processor adding water if necessary, mix with some flour(maybe a cup or so) and an egg, until you get a brownie like consistency and bake it for about 35-40 minutes on 300. They smell while processing and cooking but I've never had a hound turn their nose up to them. or you could just try grinding up the livers and topping her food with it... that is a big hit here.

If I think of any thing else, I'll pop back in.

Give Chase a kiss from Cindy!

Edited by greytbookert

Also, if you're worried about the fat in eggs, they sell cartons of just plain old egg whites in the store. You could scramble those instead.

Also, baked sweet potato- carby and enticing. Good for helping to gain weight and low in fat.

As for yogurt smoothie, you could try Kefir. It's with the yogurts. A different kind of cultured milk product. Pourable and with 10 probiotics it good for them. Nothing artificial. Kevin likes it plain. But they have flavors. A couple of tbs on top of his food with each meal- it's his favorite part! Plus you wouldn't have to make it up- less "cooking"!

Good luck and tell Chase to take it easy in this nasty weather!

finalsiggy.jpg

The vet called me back. We are going to try to finish 1-2 more days of the Clavamox, but we won't go another week. Her sore is scabbed over and on its way to healing, if it wasn't then the vet said she would recommend a different antibiotic for the next 7 days. She said if Chase starts vomiting or gets worse, I can stop the Clavamox now.

Marcia, the vet put Chase on the antibiotics mostly because of her sore, but she was also thinking it would benefit her nasty teeth and provide some protection from any circulating bacteria from her teeth/gums. She really needs a dental, but I don't want to put her under until she gains some more weight, and she might not gain weight on the antibiotic, which she needs because of her teeth. Talk about a catch 22 situation! lol.gif

~Lindsay~

Ya, I thought the teeth might be part of the compelling reason to put her on the Clavamox. But if she won't eat, she won't get strong enough to have the dental, so catch 22 it is! PS The Friendly Flora will be in tomorrow's mail. I'll send you a link to the stuff if you want to get more.B)

Guest happygrey

Plain kefir would be great and if she's got a sweet tooth she might like some flavored kefir. I'd also suggest sardines & mackerel. What about a peanutbutter blob?

Just a little precautionary word on pre and probiotics. In an unhealthy individual there can be gut permeability and gene transfer issues (whatever that means!) that may adversely affect the patient. I'm fairly confident that that would happen when large doses are given. In my case, my immune system is supposed to be not so good but the stuff I'm taking has done me nothing but good. I guess the old saying, "Your mileage may vary" could apply when using pre and probiotics. You might want to ask your vet about this. (Who is your vet? I used to live near you so I may know her.)

Poor Chase, sending lots of prayers for her. I cook all kinds of concoctions for my 2 hounds and when Sara was sick, she was on carafate(liquid through syringe), not sure if that has been mentioned, she was on pepcid too. I boil chicken livers and sprinkle over their kibble, they inhale it, chicken w/bland gravy(flour w/chicken broth), lean beef(stewing) and I make lean ground turkey w/multigrain pasta. Hoping she is feeling better soon.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

It sounds like Sara eats great and that you could eat the same meal she does, minus the kibble. :lol Yummy!

Our dogs get lightly cooked 80% minimum ground beef over their kibble and cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts pieces for snacks. They love cheese cubes and a smidgen of peanut butter too. Braunschweiger is good for pilling or adding to food. It's salty though but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Freeze dried liver treats are often a great eating encourager too.

I hope Chase is doing better today. Please let us know when you have a chance.

Edited for the usual typos.;)

Edited by MZH

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry for the delay in updates. Been crazy busy!

We stopped the antibiotics on Wednesday. Chase's appetite is better, but not where it was pre-antibiotics. I fear I've created a little diva here with all the special treats she's been getting! blink.gif

Yesterday she ate kibble for the first time. It was Beneful, but I'll take it, food is food. blush.gif Today she ate eggs for breakfast and canned dog food for dinner. So we're getting there, but it's slow going.

Her wound is almost totally healed. It looks great! Now I just need to get some more weight on her so she can get her dental cleaning.

~Lindsay~

Guest greytbookert

Great news that Chase is eating! Keep up the good work, Lindsay. I know you must be exhausted!

Chase - Keep eating, you'll feel so much better when you have some weight on you and then those toofers can get get cleaned!

During my old cocker's last 6 months, when he really needed a dental but we just couldn't risk it, he lived on those natural Balance logs. Know what I mean? Their density is somewhere between canned and kibble. And it must have been very enticing to smell - because he ate that with gusto. And i was worried about too much fat also but this got the vet's OK. just a thought.

You and Chase are in my thoughts and prayers Lindsay. Thanks for your hard work.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest LindsaySF

Thanks guys!

Diane, she's on Pepcid. I asked the vet about adding something else and she said to give it a few days for her appetite to improve, she's not too worried because her stool is normal and she's not vomiting, drooling, etc.

Chase ate more kibble and canned food this morning. She started eating even before her Pepcid, so I think her appetite is on its way back. :) Late last night she ate some Beggin Strips too. blush.gif

Jane, I'll have to look into those Natural Balance logs. I was under the impression that they are high in salt, which is why I've been avoiding them (one of my FB friends suggested them also). But I'll have to find the exact details, I might be wrong! IMO Chase doesn't drink enough water, so I worry about her staying hydrated.

~Lindsay~

Put lots of water in her food. That's the only way we can get enough water into Perri and Rita. They both have pelvic bladders and if they don't drink enough on their own they get UTIs out the wazoo. It should work for Chase's issues too. :)

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Lindsay, I'm glad to hear Chase is getting her appetite back, and her wound is healing nicely.

Regarding the drinking, would Pedialite be an option for drinking to get electrolytes, even if she just laps a little bit? It was one suggestion I had used with Harley when he wasn't drinking enough. I watered it down, and he drank with no problems.

There are many other suggestions in Harley's Medical/Health thread that may be of help to you.

I'm saying prayers for Chase's recovery.

Edited by HappyHarleysMom