We Love Them, But.. But!

Guest Sunset123

Pre is pretty much a pretty greyhound (not that I'm biased or anything :)), but sometimes when we go for long walks and he's not into it, he holds up his paw and fakes and injury. When I try to get him going again he limps on it. I was worried the first time he did this b/c I thought maybe something was wrong, but when we turned around to head for home the "injury" was mysteriously gone. He trots along just fine.

Arrisa does this! The more attention it gets her the more she hams it up. She will hold that paw way up and HOP all they way home... that is until the *magic cookie* comes out, and then she is magically healed. :lol

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm going to jump in on this. Carl was raised and raced as a greyhound, but he is actually a sheep herding dog in a greyhound suit. When I get home I have to "ignore" him or he will jump all over me. Ignoring works, but as I walk into the house he buries his head in my butt and "herds" me into the kitchen to give him treats. First he starts with the butt herding and then switches to walking beside me and herding me with his head pushing my thighs. I love him to pieces, but it is really annoying...though the butt herding does make me laugh!

I think Anna and Carl must have the same herding dog bloodlines. Everyday at both meals Anna feels that I am either not smart enough or quick enough in putting the bowls down so she herds me from one spot to the other until her bowl is set down. Since hers is the 4th bowl to be set down invariably I always get pushed in the back of the knee or get my slippers stepped on because she is following so close pushing me along. I can just hear her now "Come on, come on, let's go! What is taking you so long. "

Bruiser is my whiner. When we go to bed if he is not lying on one of the beds where he can see me he will whine until somebody moves or I get them to swap spots. I also cannot do anything at the kitchen counter without his 100lb bulk hoovering the floor in front of where I'm working in hopes I've dropped something. Lastly the poor guy cannot catch a treat if his life depended on it. He gets so spastic when I toss him a treat, no matter how close my hand is when I toss it to his, mouth he always ends up spitting it back because of the way he tries to grab it.

Chase gets in your face. When I'm sitting down if he wants my attention he will stand with his nose about 3 inches from mine and just stares at me with a silly look on his face. And he will continue to stand there with his nose in my face until he is satisfied that I have given him enough attention.

Beanie also demands attention except she employs the flipping of my hand with her nose method until she too is satisfied I've pet her enough.

Nadir is my stubborn boy when it comes to coming back into the house. I can call till I'm blue in the face. He will come in only when he is good and ready to. You can also add the obnoxiously loud slurping of the privates and lately he has gotten into this habit of, managing to step in poo and get it all squished up into his toes. I have to check his feet now everytime he comes inside.

All these things while annoying are also what endears them to me. It is part of who they are.

Well except for the poo-toes, I could do without that.

Pre is pretty much a pretty greyhound (not that I'm biased or anything :)), but sometimes when we go for long walks and he's not into it, he holds up his paw and fakes and injury. When I try to get him going again he limps on it. I was worried the first time he did this b/c I thought maybe something was wrong, but when we turned around to head for home the "injury" was mysteriously gone. He trots along just fine.

Arrisa does this! The more attention it gets her the more she hams it up. She will hold that paw way up and HOP all they way home... that is until the *magic cookie* comes out, and then she is magically healed. :lol

What, don't tell me that you have never heard of the miracle cookie cure?

Guest mamagrey

I've only had my two for a month and there is very little I find annoying them about. EXCEPT: Top has started eating frozen poop in the back yard. I have ordered a stool guard yesterday. He really doesn't like the cold and snow but now that he has discovered poopsicles he is the last one to come back in. Last night he would not come in. I had to go get the box of milk bones and shake it on the deck. At least there is still one thing he likes better than poop.

Mine is a poop eater also. We live on an acre and he goes way in the back to poop(thats good) but about a day later, he goes back an eats it. It is the most grosses thing a dog could do. What is a stool guard? Ace loves to throw it up in the air then eat it. How can I try to stop him?

I first need to maneuver his head by lifting it (an uncooperative head is surprisingly heavy) through the jammie opening. Then I pull down the jammie along his back and stuff half of it down into the crack between his back and the sofa. Then I grab the dog by all four legs and roll/hoist the whole creature onto his back, with all four legs in the air, so I can reach under is back to grab the other side of the jammie and join the two velcro strips to complete the effort. Sometimes I just leave him with the legs in the air.
:lol:lol:lol

Nutmeg -- 5 months since "your" sofa was given away and a new extra-large sectional sofa brought in expressly to have enough lounging room for greys and humans, and you have yet to put one foot on the new sofa. Instead, you stand in front of it, lower your head, and whine before going over to flop on a dogbed. Get over it already.

Romie -- I can no longer brag about how visually smart greyhounds are; how they never wrap their leashes around posts and poles.

What is a stool guard? Ace loves to throw it up in the air then eat it. How can I try to stop him?
Be strict! Be ever vigilant! Make him keep that poop down on the ground before he eats it. :P

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Sam - another "private parts slurper"

Zinny and Moody - lick lick lick lick lick

Daisy and Maxi - they have to be in sight of you or whine whine whine

Sadie - she has her own set of issues from her previous home

Billy - perfect except he is just NOT bright

and

Dexter - please please please let me sleep past 3:00 am.

Hmm well I guess Jonah has only two. He barks at every dog he sees when we are out walking. Not an aggressive bark or fearful bark, just an uber annoyingly interactive bark.

Susan - I love that bark!

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest Flysmom

Cisco: Member of the private parts slurping club. Master of how to make a small booboo much much bigger by licking it constantly. Giver of the you don't love me looks. I still love, love, love him.

Poncho: Sir Whinealot, Talker and Singer. First Responder to Sirens. Tootsieroll aka Cat poop consiseur. Master Drooler. I still love, love, love him.

Glide our little Foster: First Lady of sticking her cold nose anywhere she can find warm skin. She always has to be where I am, preferably lying down and me falling over her. Preventer of foodborne sickness by taking whatever is in the sink to defrost and eating it. Teacher - teaching me not to put food to defrost in the sink anymore....

I would not trade one of mine for anything in the world but each of them has one (or more) little thing that I wish they didn't!!!

Stella - terrible walker; unless I keep her on a really short leash, she's all over the place and if I'm not careful, I'll either trip over her or her leash. I know she can't help it, but she can't ride in the car longer than 10-15 minutes before she gets sick (even on a totally empty stomach). She picks on Lizzie when they're all playing.

Lizzie - she's pretty perfect....except it takes her 20 minutes to eat (longer if I'm running late!!!). Looks like she takes a piece at a time and chews it up completely before taking another bite. She WILL not eat until the other four are finished and outside.

Hitchie - he's also very, very good....he just doesn't like any dogs that are not greyhounds. He's not very nice to them. My sister has quit bringing her lab over and my brother's boxer will not get out of the car!!!

House - he's racking up the "plucks Momma's nerves" points recently. If he doesn't have his muzzle on, he drags all of the dog beds outside (through the dog door!!!). He has also rediscovered counter surfing....chewed up my prescription sunglasses, two pairs of gloves, a scarf, and just yesterday, a sweater that was folded up on top of the dryer. In his book, there is no such thing as sleeping in.

Kevin - where do I start? Although he's improved 100% in the past year, he still has some really annoying ways. Firstly, he's FOOD OBSESSIVE!!! He would knock me over if he thought there was a crumb on the floor. If one of the others (except for House) is on the bed he wants, he walks all over them and if they don't move, he lays down beside them and pushes them out. Lizzie and Hitchie give in to him every time. Stel puts up a fuss but eventually gives in. He's a terrible whiner and the only way to get a new collar on him, is to cut the old one off.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Well, you all have some real "problems" with your greyhounds. I, on the other hand, have a perfect greyhound. Nothing annoying, no bad habits, no embarrassing behaviors. She's perfect. And she said I can say that about her every day. In fact, she insists. I love the sound of her slurping her privates. I love the cold nose treatment if I'm slow with a treat. I love to let her choose our route for walking. I love how she berates and belittles Sam, the mutt pup. I just love everything about her. And it's a good thing. Because I don't think I'm woman enough to change her! Oh how I love my girl.

OK. Coming Maggie. Yes, it's time for your massage dear.

:lol :lol :lol

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest Hoolyghans

After being home for several years, I started a job in September. It requires me to get up verrrrry early, about an hour before Hubby does. Our Diva dog Abba has taken to jumping in my spot in bed as soon as I get up.

This week was very busy. I had to get up an hour earlier Mon, Tues & Wed. Thursday was back to normal time. Guess who was standing by the side of the bed WHINING 45 minutes before my alarm went off?

Apparently she felt I had used up my bed allotment and she was being deprived of her turn.

Rue did not have any "quirks" at first however, over the years they have developed in buckets.

Eating quirks, will eat anything! poop, trash from cans, learned to open cabinets, has started to steal from the counters or anywhere for that matter.

Whiner traits: she wines when you have something she wants, when either the cats or another dog is in a bed she wants, when she wants a toy another dog has, when she wants in bed with us and she thinks there are too many already in bed (cats),when she thinks she should go somewhere anywhere at any time of the day or night, when she is in the car going somewhere anywhere at any time of the said day or night, or just to hear herself whine.

Potty issues: Always has to be pushed to go out at night, in the morning, at lunch. She will willingly go out at anytime unless it is nighttime or daytime, raining, cold, hot, windy, calm, cloudy, snowing, bright or any other reason she can find. Potty breaks are at her complete discretion. She does not potty in the house unless she has the big "D" 3 floors of tile, wood or concrete and she finds the only room left in the house with carpet to dump on when I have left the gate open to it by mistake!

Sleeping issues: Has become a nester and must be blocked from our bedroom when not at home, sleeps on DBF's pillow, sleeps between us, on top of us, under the covers with us, must be very very close to us, correction DBF.

She fakes injuries when it will get her more attention at anytime.

The list could go on and on but I love her to pieces and would not trade my Mental Maniac girl for the world.

Bug slurps on his private parts endlessley or until I interrupt him.

He also turns his head in the opposite direction every time I start to put his collar on. You would think he'd have that one figured out by now, but nooooo. Always has to give me a hard time.

Jenn

These are hilarious! I thought of this particular post about 3 am this morning when one of my boys started loudly "slurping" on his privates. Why does it always have to be between 3 and 4 am??! Sigh.

I don't know that I have anything new to add. I love my three senior puppers but my two boys follow me CONSTANTLY and EVERYWHERE in the house. Talk about needy and high maintenance! Right on my heels. Also stepping on the back of my slippers and pulling them off because they are totally up my butt. Drives me crazy! I feel like the Pied Piper sometimes. And when it's closing in on meal time, aaaaaargh!!!

All three are dirt diggers and eaters. What a mess they make! One boy is a garbage picker. My girl is a hardcore poo eater. My garbage picker is also an overzealous nester and will nest for about five minutes before he gets it right. Of course, that also occurs in the middle of the night!!

Guest mcsheltie

Breeze whines whenever something doesn't suit her. Everyone can be sound asleep. If she wakes up and the bed isn't just right she wakes everyone up as she gets up (whining) turns around and lays back down. When we are in the car it is the same thing. If she isn't totally comfortable she turns into a whining-stine. It doesn't sound like much when I write it down, but she is just such a diva!

Vanna came home in August. She is exactly the same. Miss Prima-Donna. Things aren't perfect... the whining will start.

At times it scares me. Whining when they try to get up... oh no... well you know the first thought that pops into my mind... I am not going to say it out loud. After getting used to these Prima-Donnas now I am afraid I may miss the first sign of something wrong!

Guest caiteag

Ok.. so in order from best to worst...

Show - seriously.. he is almost the perfect dog. He can get a little too excited and ram his excessively hard head into a variety of painful locations with every bit of strength in his 80lb body.. and he will counter surf if he gets the chance.. but truly.. he is almost perfect in every way.

Choo - Girlie is trouble on 4 paws, in the best possible way.. yes, she wreaks havoc whenever she can find a way to do so.. but somehow it ends up being funny and cute rather than anything overly serious. Her worst sin was eating 2 library books. The bad side to Choo Choo comes out only when Ty gets involved. He drives her nuts (which I will detail in his section) and she can get VERY snarky at him. We've never had an injury, but I am always cautious when she starts going at him.

Ty - *sighs* He is the sweetest, gentlest soul.. but he just isn't wired right. I'm not being mean.. I'm just being completely honest. Ty came to us as a spook.. and he was, but with a lot of work his spooky tendancies are mostly behind him. Unfortunately, his issues go beyond that. He is fear aggressive and can be aggressive over toys and other high value items. We've worked hard with him on this and the episodes of aggression are slowly getting further and further apart. He also doesn't seem to understand normal dog to dog communication. He doesn't understand when the other dogs are asking him for space, he doesn't understand when Choo snarls at him that she isn't comfortable with his behavior, he doesn't understand how to play with other dogs as an equal. We've tried working on his issues from a dominance stand point.. but the reality is, he doesn't seem to have a hard time understanding what WE are trying to communicate with him.. but seems to have no understanding of communication from other dogs. He is also an incessant slurper.. of paws, of beds, of his private parts. It seems to be almost a calming tick.. like he goes to his happy, safe place when he is licking. We try to allow him some grooming, obviously.. but when it starts to become obsessive, we gently distract him and try to re-focus him.

Ok.. so I went all serious on a mostly light-hearted post... but we actually have a behavioral issues dog, so... Ty can get REALLY frustrating sometimes, but I just remind myself that he is lucky he landed with us. We have the time and energy to work with his issues.. there are a lot of homes that couldn't or wouldn't deal with his problems.. and every time we hit one of those moments where I can say "wow... only a few months ago Ty would have freaked out if that happened..." it makes my heart so happy. He is truly a wonderful boy.. he is just different.. but we love him for who he is.

Handsome AND warm, a good combination!!

What amuses me to no end is that when it's cold outside, meaning over the course of the night the house will cool out a lot more, and I have to put Tracker's jammies on before I go to bed is what I have to go through to get it on him. He often has his last walk of the day at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, because he can't be bothered to get up again after that. In the afternoon it's still warm in the house and there's no point yet to putting his jammies on. So when I'm ready to put them on him, he's been a corpse on the sofa for hours, completely limp and unresponsive. I first need to maneuver his head by lifting it (an uncooperative head is surprisingly heavy) through the jammie opening. Then I pull down the jammie along his back and stuff half of it down into the crack between his back and the sofa. Then I grab the dog by all four legs and roll/hoist the whole creature onto his back, with all four legs in the air, so I can reach under is back to grab the other side of the jammie and join the two velcro strips to complete the effort. Sometimes I just leave him with the legs in the air. I don't think he notices any of this. It's very much like diapering a 73lb baby. It cracks me up every night, even though my back isn't so happy about this...

Some may suggest to make him get off the sofa to stand on all fours. To that I can only say I might as well try to ask a corpse to get off the sofa.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Should have started that this a spoot alert!!!

Makes me seriously glad that my 90 lb goofball likes to sleep "nekkid."

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest Nuthatch

It’s not lying that they don’t put a selection of the annoying habits in the “Thinking of Adopting a Greyhound?” books and leaflets – it’s just glossing over the hairline cracks! It wouldn’t have put me off but I would have been ready for it.

Ranger: Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick.....Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick..................... Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick. Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick.................................Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick................Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick............... Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick.

Sable: Me. Me. Me. Me - love me more! Stroke me, me, me, me, me, me, me. Stroke me. Rub my belly. Rub it. Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, STROKE MY HEAD! Me. Me. Me. STOP knitting / reading / speaking on the phone and stroke me. More head, more ear, more neck. Me. Me. Me. Don’t touch that other dog – WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Me, me, me, me, me, me.

Bless.

Guest Flysmom

It’s not lying that they don’t put a selection of the annoying habits in the “Thinking of Adopting a Greyhound?” books and leaflets – it’s just glossing over the hairline cracks! It wouldn’t have put me off but I would have been ready for it.

Ranger: Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick.....Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick..................... Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick. Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick.................................Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick................Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick............... Lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick, lick.

Sable: Me. Me. Me. Me - love me more! Stroke me, me, me, me, me, me, me. Stroke me. Rub my belly. Rub it. Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, STROKE MY HEAD! Me. Me. Me. STOP knitting / reading / speaking on the phone and stroke me. More head, more ear, more neck. Me. Me. Me. Don’t touch that other dog – WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Me, me, me, me, me, me.

Bless.

:lol

Funny stories....

Honestly my two current ones are pretty perfect. Although Dylan has his one annoying slurping his privates at bedtime habit but it isn't every night so not too annoying.

My first grey, Rascal, who I adored was a bit of a challenge. He was more of my equal than my dog. He was a horror with food...anything he could eat he would. He has been gone for a while though and now I just miss all of those annoying things.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Smokey, oh Smokey I love you bunches and bunches but you MUST give me time to get to the back door. Ours are trained to ring the bell on the door if they need to go out. And blind boy does just fine ringing the bell. He hasn't quite got the give human time to get to the door part yet. If we aren't quick enough he pees by the door and goes back to his nap. Fortunately it is an easy cleanup. He is getting better at waiting if we shout COMING SMOKEY so he knows we DID hear him. LOVE my boy!

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

House - he's racking up the "plucks Momma's nerves" points recently. If he doesn't have his muzzle on, he drags all of the dog beds outside (through the dog door!!!).

House, leave the beds alone, you naughty boy! :lol

Jenn

I'll pass that along to him.....maybe he'll listen to you!!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Beau and Elsie both whine in a super ear piercing high pitched whine that makes me want to do not such nice things. When I scream ENOUGH to Beau, he will stop, when I do that to Elsie she will bark right back at me! Brood tude.:lol

We give our puack a small piece of cookie whenever they come in from being outside. This started when we adopted our first and rewarded for doing his business outdoors. Now, they all will stand at the door and wait without moving until we give them a cookie which is normally immediately after they come in. When I say wait without moving, I betcha they would stand there for hours.

Right now, Beau wants something so he is standing in front of me STARING at me and every once in a while whines. I actually came back to this thread now because of what he is doing. I think I am ready to go back to work after 5 days home with the pups!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest twhitehouse

Where do I even begin.... :rolleyes:

Lexi- She's my quirky one with lots of issues so for the sake of keeping this light hearted I'll stick to the everyday annoyances.

1.)I call her my pogo stick. If you mention the work walk or ride she's jumping everywhere, including on you! :angry:

2.) The stare! This girl knows what she wants and will stare you down until you give it to her, be it food, your spot on the couch, or attention. I usually give it to her. :rolleyes:

3.) The licking. She is the loudest, sloppiest licker of all time. She gets in licking trances where she's so focused on licking her paw you often have to yell to get her attention back. :blink:

Tess- She's been my "easy" dog but she has lots of things that can really set me off on a bad day.

1.) Sitting on top of me. Why when DBF gets out of bed can't she just lay nicely next to me and cuddle. Nope...she's got to lay ON TOP OF ME. :headwall

2.) The drippy nose. Seriously! I have stains on my couch everywhere thanks to this dog. Snot everywhere! :crying

3.) The trash stealing. She never does it when we're around to correct her...oh no. The second we walk out that door on the other hand she dive bombs into the trash. No trash is safe...not even the bathroom trash. :puke

On our 6am potty break (no fence), Enzo pretends to be leading me to his "perfects spot," but in all actuality he's leading me to a fresh pile of deer poop, and my eyes are still too sleepy to notice. That's my fault of course, you'd think I'd have learned by now...

3 hours later, I've completely forgotten about the deer poop muzzle, as he's roaching next to me in bed, propped up against me with his muzzle draped across my shoulder, looking up into my eyes with his melt-your-heart gaze.

I love my boy.