We Love Them, But.. But!

:lol At any given day, there is always one of ours that is available for adoption!! :lol

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still stuck on the futon due to my broken ankle. Phoenix has been standing about 1.5 feet away from me, barking and whining. He's been doing this all day. I've let him out but he keeps doing it.

Phoenix licks a lot and he slurps. He is a constant and vigorous nester and is always moving dog beds around. He even piles them on top of each other. This makes it even more difficult to manoeuvre with crutches. If Treasure on the bed that he wants, he'll look at me and whine until I do something about it. He takes forever to eat and will often spit out food or leave the room during a meal. He's prone to throwing tantrums, including stomping feet and whining. He eats frozen poop, although he seems to be ignoring it so far this year. If anybody so much as touches him while he's asleep or relaxing, he'll jump up with a loud sign and give me the evil eye. Phoenix is very, very strange.

Treasure is so sweet, but she's got several habits, also. She seems incapable of learning anything new. In six weeks of obedience school, she learned nothing. She still tries to eat out of any bowl she feel like, and will happily eat Phene's food after she finishes hers. She is the ultimate bed hog. She isn't friendly to anybody during walks. If we stop, she just stands and stares straight ahead. She doesn't seem to have nearly as many idiosyncrasies as Phene does, but she's only been here 1.5 years.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest greybookends

Let's see.

Bill: I bet you can guess my pet peeve with Bill! For the newbies, he is the worlds pickiest eater.

Sheana: We don't call her whiny butt for nothing!

Monty:He won't go out in the rain.

Ginny: Or shall we say MOUTH! She's LOUD!

Huey:Another loud mouth and a food thief.

Daytona: She's just about perfect except for some space issues.

Sherri has been almost the perfect dog since we got her in April 2008, but she has gotten a bit fussy about eating breakfast and will ignore it for over an hour or so,

sometimes not eating it at all. She also licks her bed during the night, which DH never hears, but I always do. One other thing, I would love to be able to go into the

bathroom by myself, just once. At least she doesn't wake us in the morning before the alarm, but the cats are excellent at that! :lol

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Bug slurps on his private parts endlessley or until I interrupt him.

He also turns his head in the opposite direction every time I start to put his collar on. You would think he'd have that one figured out by now, but nooooo. Always has to give me a hard time.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

OK, first, to be clear, I ADORE George. He is what I need--a companion.

And it's not really fair to him, but...my last dog was SO smart, so sensitive to my moods, so aware of what was going on--all I had to do was look at him if he was in my way, and he moved. He soaked up every bit of training I tossed his way with joy. He loved everyone, and every dog. He was brilliant and fearless and he would have done ANYTHING for me. He loved to play fetch and Frisbee. I could take him ANYWHERE off leash, and know all I had to do was call "heel" and he would RUN to my side. He knew voice commands, hand signals and whistle commands. I could put a steak on the floor and tell him "leave it" and he would. He was housebroken in two days at the age of 18 weeks. He never once chewed up anything that was mine.

George is handsome. He was fast. He is friendly, with people. But -- He is stubborn. It's all about him. He has no interest in my moods, my feelings, my likes and dislikes. I have never experienced that in a dog. My family has had a string of delightful, pleasant, easy going dogs--the only issue we ever had was one of them turned out to be unfriendly with strangers--a mystery to us as we bought him from a friend and know for a fact he'd never even had a voice raised at him...

I've tried to train George, but his utter lack of interest makes it frustrating and no fun. Since I've gotten him to walk nicely on a leash, sit, and lay down, do stairs, and deal with most things, I've been accepting of his disposition. I know his life has been very different, and I expect that one of the things that made him a decent racer for a fairly extended period is his total indifference to most everything.

On the other hand, he's a smiler, and I love that about him! He's a good boy, he's just--George!

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

One of the things mine do as a group, if it is around the time we usually go for our walk, anywhere I go, I am surrounded, make that closely surrounded by dogs, and someone is always stepping on my heels and pulling my shoes off. Do they think I might sneak out the door with out them? The whole point of the walk is to take the dogs, why would I go without them? :blink:

This is a seriously funny thread. Maybe I can stop laughing long enough to add my own.

BEDHOG!!!!! He starts out on his own side & sleep comes easily, then I wake up at 4 am hanging off my side with the big goof

stretching & pushing.

OBLIVIOUS!!!! In the morning getting ready for work, sometimes I am not running quite on time, so am hurrying. When you see mama

coming at you like a freight train, you'd think a man would have enough sense to get out of the way. Nuh-uh. He just stands there

in the middle of the hallway...."where ya goin ma?" "wassup?" I've barreled into him; knee to the ribs a dozen times, but he's

90 lbs, so I usually just bounce off.

Sigh. It's a good thing he's handsome, and warm.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

BEDHOG!!!!! He starts out on his own side & sleep comes easily, then I wake up at 4 am hanging off my side with the big goofstretching & pushing... It's a good thing he's handsome, and warm.

I love my hounds beyond belief and they are so good in so many ways, but this would be my number one complaint. I LOVE that Simba is comfortable sleeping with me. But he is huge, and even when we start out sharing the bed, usually he shifts enough so I have about four inches on the edge by morning. He apparently likes being 90 degrees to my position and likes the middle of the bed. A good night is when we settle in and he falls so deeply asleep, he's still in the position he started in when morning comes. I love those cozy nights.

And he chews his nails. Loudly. A little maddening if I'm trying to sleep.

Stella is almost perfect. Almost :) She is a very picky eater (Hi Bill!). She's a major (but so far mostly non-destructive) nester. She also likes to shred paper. Bills. Papers. Books. Sewing patterns. Post it notes with phone numbers. Shredded into tiny, tiny, beautiful snowflakes. (Sorry I didn't call you back about a coffee date, David. I lost your phone number.)

Guest KennelMom

Thought of another one, though not a greyhound...Wooter moves so. freaking. slow. We actually refer to it as "moving at the speed of Woot." Imagine you take molasses and freeze it. Then imagine something that moved even slower than that. I mean, he moves so slow he's almost moving backwards. Of course, this trait only appears when I'm in a hurry.

great thread! My oldest grey Mikee is lucky he's cute cause he's been a challenge at times. The trash can has a heavy bucket holding the lid down. This has been the most successful way of keeping him out of the trash. It doesn't matter if he doesn't want to eat his food he will never pass up a trash can. Getting him to eat is often a challenge and at one point I thought I might lose him because he lost so much weight. He has also recently become a poopcicle eater. ewwww1 I've never muzzled him to go out but I think after reading this thread I'll be putting it on. He resists most attempts to be trained and instead has trained me. I have managed to train him to sit but no longer ask him to do that because of arthritic changes. He is relentless about routine biscuit times and can be quite loud with his reminders. The worst things are the injuries he's sustained. He has had two episodes of major lacerations and I've never been able to determine how he did them. Very scary. My younger grey Stosh is pretty laid back. He will pee in the house if we don't let him out once during the night and he doesn't ask. My son stays up much later than me so we're usually good but if my son is away I can pretty much expect a puddle when I come down in the morning. The strangest thing he does is backing up instead of turning around. Its frustrating when your trying to get around him and he's slowly backing up going through the doorway. Otherwise he's pretty much perfect. My young dobe is a bed hog who pushes me to the edge of the bed. Often wakes me within the hour before the alarm goes off. Pests me relentlessly to play with him and barks at imaginary things. He is also wildly enthusiastic at times and makes me laugh. He's a jumper kinda like a giant sized JRT. You should see him hop from one side of the ottoman to the other.

Handsome AND warm, a good combination!!

What amuses me to no end is that when it's cold outside, meaning over the course of the night the house will cool out a lot more, and I have to put Tracker's jammies on before I go to bed is what I have to go through to get it on him. He often has his last walk of the day at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, because he can't be bothered to get up again after that. In the afternoon it's still warm in the house and there's no point yet to putting his jammies on. So when I'm ready to put them on him, he's been a corpse on the sofa for hours, completely limp and unresponsive. I first need to maneuver his head by lifting it (an uncooperative head is surprisingly heavy) through the jammie opening. Then I pull down the jammie along his back and stuff half of it down into the crack between his back and the sofa. Then I grab the dog by all four legs and roll/hoist the whole creature onto his back, with all four legs in the air, so I can reach under is back to grab the other side of the jammie and join the two velcro strips to complete the effort. Sometimes I just leave him with the legs in the air. I don't think he notices any of this. It's very much like diapering a 73lb baby. It cracks me up every night, even though my back isn't so happy about this...

Some may suggest to make him get off the sofa to stand on all fours. To that I can only say I might as well try to ask a corpse to get off the sofa.

What amuses me to no end is that when it's cold outside, meaning over the course of the night the house will cool out a lot more, and I have to put Tracker's jammies on before I go to bed is what I have to go through to get it on him. He often has his last walk of the day at 3 or 4 in the afternoon, because he can't be bothered to get up again after that. In the afternoon it's still warm in the house and there's no point yet to putting his jammies on. So when I'm ready to put them on him, he's been a corpse on the sofa for hours, completely limp and unresponsive. I first need to maneuver his head by lifting it (an uncooperative head is surprisingly heavy) through the jammie opening. Then I pull down the jammie along his back and stuff half of it down into the crack between his back and the sofa. Then I grab the dog by all four legs and roll/hoist the whole creature onto his back, with all four legs in the air, so I can reach under is back to grab the other side of the jammie and join the two velcro strips to complete the effort. Sometimes I just leave him with the legs in the air. I don't think he notices any of this. It's very much like diapering a 73lb baby. It cracks me up every night, even though my back isn't so happy about this...

Some may suggest to make him get off the sofa to stand on all fours. To that I can only say I might as well try to ask a corpse to get off the sofa.

THIS is hysterical!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest MyHoodies

ok... where do I start...

Bacardi: Diva to the max. Everyone goes out but her. when everyone comes in... then she goes out. It always about her.

Earnie: poopeater to the max (thank goodness for poopguards). why do I even bother buying dog food when I can just go out in the yard and scoop up poop.

Damion: (name says it all) bed licker, mouths the pillows and eats socks (they eventually come back up) :yuck

Rusty: OCD- LICKS ME ALL THE TIME

We keep Protor and Gamble in business due to all the rolls of toilet paper that get destroyed each week.

And at night a song by Aerosmith always pops in my head... "Living on the edge" because that is where I sleep; on the edge of the bed.

But everyday I miss them while at work and can't wait to come home to the chaos that is my house :wub::wub:

This really is a sweet thread.

Maybe it is because they're no longer with me, but I honestly can't think of a single thing that Bailey or Holly did that bothered me...my two perfect angels :wub: :wub:

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Samantha

Licking! Im pretty sure sometimes she does it because she knows I really cannot stand the sound of it.

Then theres the game we play. I pick all the stuffies up, take them to a chair sit down and shout "here Maddison" and she comes running taking them one by one and arranging the 20 or so stuffies (or babys as we call them) on her bed, only for her to come and stand and stare at me again to do this all over again. This whole thing lasts about 30 mins and its quite funny to watch as she lovingly moves "her babys". What winds me up, is its nearly everytime I sit down to watch something really good on the TV!!

More recently with the cold weather I have to go out at turnout time with her or she stands and stares at me (right outside the door) until I do. So even if I am in my jammies I have to put on a coat and Ugg boots to go stand in the garden while she goes potty. Neighbours must think Im crazy at 2am standing in my garden :lol

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty is truly an Angel. Yes, he follows me to the Bathroom and everywhere else, but it's not annoying. Ohhh wait, there is one thing that annoys me.It's super Cold and the Wind is even more and he(Morty) stands there and wants to see whats going on in the Neighborhood before he decides to jump in or out of the Car. :blink: so annoying. :huh:huh:huh

Ooh love this thread! Badger has been a perfect first dog...MOSTLY. Except i think they slipped me a kangaroo cross-breed. When he gets excited, he starts bouncing up and down - not jumping, like on people, but just making these little "popcorn" jumps up and down. Which is cute, until he comes down on your foot, or conks the top of his head into your elbow, or makes you trip over the nylabone...

He's also got a stubborn streak a mile wide. He knows exactly what "touch" (the door, before he's allowed out) and "sit" mean, but he'll only do it if he feels like it. The rest of the time, he'll just stare at you, then at the door, then at you, like, "Come on, woman. Get over it. Not getting any younger, here!"

This is Pogo-ing, a greyhound trait that my friend Mary and I have decided needs much more exploring on a public form :lol We both have Pogo-Boys.

This is seriously funny, I can see it eggzactly. :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Jubilee251

This is Pogo-ing, a greyhound trait that my friend Mary and I have decided needs much more exploring on a public form :lol We both have Pogo-Boys.

Ah, so THAT'S what it's called! I have a Pogo girl, but she also spins while she pogos. She's nuts. :rolleyes:

Bug slurps on his private parts endlessley or until I interrupt him.

He also turns his head in the opposite direction every time I start to put his collar on. You would think he'd have that one figured out by now, but nooooo. Always has to give me a hard time.

Jenn

still laughing at "slurps on private parts"

Ok, I'm going to jump in on this. Carl was raised and raced as a greyhound, but he is actually a sheep herding dog in a greyhound suit. When I get home I have to "ignore" him or he will jump all over me. Ignoring works, but as I walk into the house he buries his head in my butt and "herds" me into the kitchen to give him treats. First he starts with the butt herding and then switches to walking beside me and herding me with his head pushing my thighs. I love him to pieces, but it is really annoying...though the butt herding does make me laugh! I wish he would do that when we walk up a steep hill going to the park!

Claire, well, she is a real sweetheart and clown at home. She runs around with her toys, throwing them, pouncing them, running up to me and giving me a big wet kiss in the nose before she runs off to get at toy, she's sooooo cute! BUT, when we step outside the gate to go for a walk or a ride she turns into a quivering mass of shaking and panting. I wish everyone could see what I see at home and get to know her for the sweet playful girl she really is. It breaks my heart that she is still so fearful outside of her comfort zone.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Hmm well I guess Jonah has only two. He barks at every dog he sees when we are out walking. Not an aggressive bark or fearful bark, just an uber annoyingly interactive bark. And I don't think at 10 years old, he was ever taught any real leash manners at all in his previous home. While he doesn't pull at all, ever, he walks like a drunken sailor. Or he'll start out walking eagerly ahead of me, which I need him to do cause I can't have three and me on winter paths side by side. Then he'll stop dead as if to say are you still coming mum? and if I'm not watching, over I go. Other than those he is adorable.

Jessie doesn't do anything wrong and neither does Josh. Hmmm. That seems blinkered of me.....

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly is generally a real 'boy scout' of a greyhound BUT if you let him out in the yard and there's even a square inch of sun on the ground, he wants to lay in it and won't come in. Usually when I'm rushing to get to work... rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't swap 'im though!