My Millie, My Sweet Angel

dex95lucy

It's been three weeks since I lost my Millie. Never did I think that I would lose my youngest so soon. She just wasn't right that morning, so I took her to the e-vet. Long story short--wrong diagnosis after 7.5 hour wait before surgery. Could the outcome have been different had I taken her elsewhere? Maybe, maybe not. No other e vet option close to here on a Sunday and I had no computer to research. Next weekend emergency, unless it is basic suturing, I have other plans. At this e vet here, you have to settle for which ever local vet is on duty. Very few are greyhound savvy, though they think they are.

Millie grew up on the farm where I worked. Quiet and shy, she once roomed with Miles on this board, who now lives with Shirley in Canada. She was so gentle that she could room with just about anybody. At one point I realized that she seemed more shy and spooky, much more than previously. I decided to take her home to let Bessie socialize her to prepare her for adoption as the farm was closing. However, Bessie died suddenly in July. It wasn't until October that I finally decided to bring Millie home to see if I could help her overcome this spooky behavior that had developed. A few days later I brought home Bancroft. Wasn't too many days before I had to admit that the two of them were staying.

In the first days of being home Millie found a ball in the yard. She picked it up, tossed it, chased it, and had a blast. From then on fetch was her favorite game. She loved the stuffies, never demolishing them, just choosing one, tossing it, carrying it around, collecting them in her crate. Millie was a very busy girl. Often velcroed at my side watching what I was doing, snooping outside to see what was going on, but once she found out, she often lost interest and was off on another search. She loved running the fence line with the other neighbor dogs, though she sustained numerous scrapes and cuts doing so.

I often saw her watching TV. She especially liked the Disney Channel. I have a pic of her watching Homeward Bound. I think she liked Chance.

She was so vocal and had me laughing all the time. If I corrected her, she barked at me. If I corrected Bancroft, Millie barked at me. No barking if I corrected the dachsies. She woke me up every morning by fussing in my face, not really barking, just making those other dog noises, then the barking if I did not move enough and recogize her. She was extremely food motivated and would eat anything I gave her. She especially loved peanut butter. Our bedtime ritual was to cut a piece of peanut butter bread and the two dachsies got a tiny piece, Millie and Bank shared the rest. The look on her face! Each and every night it was as if it was her first time eating peanut butter. No peanut butter bread here since her death.

She never held still enough for many pics unless she was sleeping. Now I know I should have taken those out of focus shots of her nose, eye, whatever. The best pic I have is when I first put the harness on her. She stood like a statue and I got a pic. But the look on her face clearly shows what she thinks of the whole deal. Thank goodness Maxine has some pics of her at a younger age.

Millie very quickly found and claimed the sofa. No room there for Bank. Early this fall I moved the furniture and gave the big sofa to the dogs so both could lay there. It was comical watching them as there was plenty of room for both. But they would never touch each other. The two of them never seemed to bond in some ways that others do. Millie never initiated running with Bank, though Bank perstered the heck out of Millie until she would run. Then the two of them were off doing multiple laps around the yard and barn.

The faces she made, the child-like looks of anticipation and excitement, this led me to call her my Funny Face. Always a comical look. But I could never get any on camera. The memory of them brings a smile and tears.

The house is so quiet. The grief and pain are still overwhelming. But it is time to let go of her. I have others who need my attention, not my tears. I must now appreciate what I still have, not what is lost.

Millie, my little Funny Face, I will always miss you, I will always cherish your memory. Go play with Bessie and all those who have gone before. Run the fence line, chase the birds and squirrels. And when my time comes and you are waiting for me with Bessie, please do not knock me over when I arrive. I will gladly lay down and let you lick me all you want.

love, sue

I'm so sorry for your loss. Millie must've been very special flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Millie, in the land over the bridge, around every corner there is someone who will make you peanutbutter bread until your momma can come do it herself again. Sweet dreams, precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Sue, my heart is so broken with yours. Sweet, funny, beautiful, loving Millie - gone but only physically. :bighug to you

Run with the angels Sweet Millie, you are with the very very best ~

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 She left much too soon.

Godspeed Millie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest RiverCityGang

Oh, Sue, you know how much I hurt for you. Losing Millie was such a shock. She will always live on in your heart and your memory. Close your eyes and there she will be for you until you are together again.

Hugs to you -

Deb

I am so very sorry that your Millie had to leave far too soon. In tears for you here -- she was so lucky to be loved by you, and your tribute is as beautiful as she. It sounds like she had the gift of childlike joy, which is simply a treasure.

Godspeed, sweet girl.

What a tribute, Sue, my eyes are leaking all over the place :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

I have been thinking of you and hoping that your poor heart is mending. I know it will take a long time.

:grouphug :grouphug sadhugsmiley.gif

Rest in peace, Millie...

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Dear sweet sweet Millie...you are missed but never forgotten. :grouphug losing our beloved greys is so painful

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What a beautiful tribute to your sweet girl, Sue. We are very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you from us.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest 4rooers

What a beautiful tribute for a very special girl. Your love comes shining through in the words you wrote. I'm sorry for your loss of your precious Millie.

Run fast and free, sweet girl. :f_pink:gh_run:f_pink

How you loved her! It's clear that you shared a very special bond, and are missing her so much.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious little Millie.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown