Deeni Was Hit By A Car Last Night

Guest BooBooMama

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear she is doing better at home. Deeni - no more scaring your momma - Okay ? Just keep resting and eating. :getwell

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

I'm so glad she's on the mend.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest bluefawn

Just read this thread for the first time. I'm so glad that Deeni is home and healing well! I am also happy for prayers answered :) I know this was a huge scare for you. Happened to me too, a couple of years ago. Penny slipped past me while we were visiting a friend. I now always make her "wait", whether coming out of the house, car, or wherever. It feels good to have the support of this group doesn't it? :) Looking forward to more great updates Gigi!

Guest BooBooMama

So glad to hear she's home and on the mend! Re: the bowel movements, I know that pain meds can cause constipation, and that roughed-up muscles make 'going' quite painful and difficult...maybe the vet will prescribe a stool softener?

That is what I was thinking- a stool softener. I see the vet at 11:00 AM today so I will ask. Thanks!

Guest greyt2love

You've already had this mentioned (stool softener) , and since you are seeing your vet today, it will probably not become an issue, but don't wait too long. Speaking from personal experience after my surgery in June, I was on pain meds and could not move my bowels. By the time I decided to "help" things along, I was miserably uncomfortable. I felt 10 months pregnant and stuffed to the gills! Since Deeni can't tell you if she's uncomfortable that way, I thought I would mention it. Hopefully, she will be functioning normally long before she reaches that point. (Stupid me for waiting so long! );)

Guest BooBooMama

MONDAY UPDATE:

I took Deeni in for her vet appointment this morning and in the parking lot (I swear this is the ONLY chat board where I can share this)- she pooped! It was a bit soft (possibly due to the antibiotics) but I am grateful because she yelped when she went. The vet thinks that her abdomen is so sore that when she 'pushed' it hurt. But if it continues to be uncomfortable or gets worse I am bringing her in ASAP.

Deeni's blood count continues to rise (yeah!)and her lungs and heart sounded OK.

The bad part is- she is terrified of the vets and staff. She whines and cowers and before they can even touch her she screams. It is heartbreaking to see. My vet wants me to bring her in every week for 'visits' and bring her favorite treats with her so that each member of the staff can pet her and give her a treat. We hope that as the weeks go by, she will become less stressed in their presence.

She has come a long way but we still have some distance to go before she is well.

SO GLAD to hear she is doing better!

And I am glad to hear the vet would like to help on her training. Do you go to North Heights?

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest BooBooMama

And I am glad to hear the vet would like to help on her training. Do you go to North Heights?

Yes I take her to North Heights. I see Drs. McDermott and Byom. (We saw Dr Byom this morning.) They really go the extra mile for my greyhounds.

Poor baby being afraid of the vets -- she must have really been hurting when she was first seen. But glad she's on the mend and that your vet is being proactive about her being scared.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Just seeing this now :( sending many healing hugs and prayers she continues to improve!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yes I take her to North Heights. I see Drs. McDermott and Byom. (We saw Dr Byom this morning.) They really go the extra mile for my greyhounds.

They certainly do! I LOVE that place, and recommend it to all adopters!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Wonderful, wonderful updates! I hope the treats and frequent visits will help Deeni get over her fear of the Vet and staff. Poor baby! She was just too hurt to realize that they were just trying to help. She sounds like she is healing very nicely! Yay, Deeni! Keep up the good work! Sending prayers for continued speedy recovery.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh gosh :ohno Just seeing this thread and read the whole thing. My heart just stopped when I read your first post :ohno:cry1 I am SO glad your girl made it through and is home and healing. Thank goodness.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest vahoundlover

Just seeing this as well. I am so glad your baby girl is home and doing well. Sending lots of quick healing thoughts and prayers. Your vet sounds awesome!

That's the way Deeni, keep it up and you will be fully recovered in no time!!! I hope she is able to eventually be less stressed at the vet over the coming weeks.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BooBooMama

UPDATE: EMOTIONAL SETBACK

Deeni was doing OK this weekend. She was sleepy from the pain pills but I could get her to go outside in the yard with me (on a leash) to do her business. Then yesterday I had to take her to my vet for a blood check. She screamed the GSOD whenever they came near her, so I held her and stroked her and talked to her so that they could take blood. Ever since we got back from the vet- she screams whenever I touch her. She will not let me take her outside. If I do- she cowers in the grass. I try to coax her with treats and soft talk but all she wants to do is run for the house. I keep her on a leash but now the sight of the leash makes her scream.

It is ripping my heart apart to see her act this way with me. The first day she came off the track she was affectionate with me- no fear. Now she is a basket case. I need to get her to go out to relieve herself and to keep moving to prevent pneumonia but I do not want to have to force her and traumatize her even more.

What do I do?

UPDATE: EMOTIONAL SETBACK

Deeni was doing OK this weekend. She was sleepy from the pain pills but I could get her to go outside in the yard with me (on a leash) to do her business. Then yesterday I had to take her to my vet for a blood check. She screamed the GSOD whenever they came near her, so I held her and stroked her and talked to her so that they could take blood. Ever since we got back from the vet- she screams whenever I touch her. She will not let me take her outside. If I do- she cowers in the grass. I try to coax her with treats and soft talk but all she wants to do is run for the house. I keep her on a leash but now the sight of the leash makes her scream.

It is ripping my heart apart to see her act this way with me. The first day she came off the track she was affectionate with me- no fear. Now she is a basket case. I need to get her to go out to relieve herself and to keep moving to prevent pneumonia but I do not want to have to force her and traumatize her even more.

What do I do?

Oh...I am so sorry!! Are you sure that there isn't something medical going on....I hate to even ask that, but given that she is shrieking when you try to touch her, I would be concerned about internal issues - though I know you said this didn't start until she went back to the vet. Does she let you touch her when you are in the house? Again, I hate to even bring it up. Many prayers.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.