Deeni Was Hit By A Car Last Night

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

Poor Deeni and you! :bighug

I'm with the time and patience crowd, and also for trying the RR, and also for seeing how she does after the meds clear her system before trying new drugs.

Calming signals might really help, too. If you're not familiar with these, there's a slim volume by that title, maybe you can find it, or someone can send/lend it to you? There are even some vids on youtube. I'm thinking, coming close to her reaction zone (but not in it), sit down looking anywhere but at her, and yawn a lot, like it's just the most relaxing, boring moment. When she relaxes, move a little closer, and repeat. Maybe she'll even come to you. Just yawn, and look around, maybe adding a little "nose lick" (for humans, just flick your tongue up on your upper lip a few times, like dogs do when they're getting a good scritch, or meeting a new dog they might like). Take her cue if she comes to you for how much touch she actually wants. She might just be comfortable with being close only, at first.

I did this a lot in Dewey last week, and several dogs that were pretty wound out, shy, or over-stimulated, calmed down and pushed their noses into me for pets. :)

Good luck for a speedy and full recovery, mentally as well as physically! :bighug

Thank you!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long should I wait? She was fine with me until last night. Should I wait until she is off the pain meds or call my vet now? I can't imagine that they would want to add anti anxiety meds to the mix she is already taking- pain meds, antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds.

And I don't know that they *will* add anti-anxiety meds. But if she's still doing this by Thursday, I'd let the vet know and at least hear before the weekend what they might recommend. Meanwhile, anything soothing you can think of can't hurt and might help.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Swifthounds

If she's on tramadol for pain, I would steer clear of any psych meds. MAOIs are contraindicated with Tramdol because of its mood altering effect.

If you want something that might take the edge off without side effects, try a product called "Content Um." It's an amino acid formulation that gives a feeling of calm contentment without mood altering, a drugged feeling, or any risk of interaction. You can get it online or at a Petco.

I've used Content Um with my senior boy who is wind and storm phobic and has a touch of neurological issues. He's less stressed, more focused, and less confused with it. We had been through a lot before stumbling upon this supplement. Along with patience it has worked wonders for him, as well as our puppy mill rescue IG.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, keep you thoughts positive. She may never be the same. You may never be the same. Life can sometimes turn your world upside down. Granted, the journey you're on now may not be the one you planned, but you're in this together. If the road doesn't lead you back to the same place, it can still lead you together to a place of healing, and you'll have a stronger bond for it.

Here's a link to a Texas A&M piece on canine PTSD. It doesn't have a lot of answers, but it's a little bit of an orientation at least.

http://tamunews.tamu.edu/2010/10/07/ptsd-in-dogs/

Gentle virtual hugs to both of you. :bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest TBSFlame

How long should I wait? She was fine with me until last night. Should I wait until she is off the pain meds or call my vet now? I can't imagine that they would want to add anti anxiety meds to the mix she is already taking- pain meds, antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds.

And I don't know that they *will* add anti-anxiety meds. But if she's still doing this by Thursday, I'd let the vet know and at least hear before the weekend what they might recommend. Meanwhile, anything soothing you can think of can't hurt and might help.

You might be able to get something to calm her down when going to the vets. I use to give my cat something to calm her down when going to the vets b/c she got so upset.

Guest BooBooMama

WEDNESDAY MORNING UPDATE:

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Xan and John.

Last night I tried some of Turid Rugaas' calming signals with Deeni and she relaxed enough so that I could hold her and cuddle her the way we always do at bedtime. While she was in a relaxed state I massaged her entire body including her neck to see if maybe we are dealing with true pain related issues and she never flinched.

That being said, early this morning after checking to see if she was awake, I reached down from my bed to pet her while she was lying on her dog bed and she screamed. I think I am beginning to see the difference between touching her and setting her off. If she thinks I am going for her collar in an attempt to hook her up- she screams. This morning I had reached down to scratch her neck, something she normally loves but an act that could easily be misinterpreted as ‘going for her collar’.

She does NOT want to leave the house- plain and simple. I hate to allow her to ‘hold everything in’ for an entire day but I think I am going to have to let her call the shots for a awhile at least. I did not take her out at all yesterday afternoon and night. At about 3:30 AM she woke me asking to go outside so I took her out with me. Luckily in the small Midwestern city and quiet neighborhood where we live there were no cars driving past our house at the hour so she was relaxed and walked around the yard with me to relieve herself so she will ask when she is ready.

Since it seems that we have the pain well under control, I will start slowly reducing the Tramadol today and hopefully this will also reduce its psychotropic effects which may be acerbating her fears and anxieties. I am beginning to feel that this is going to be just a little rough patch in her healing process and that we will overcome this. I want my little girl back and now I know she will come back to me.

I'm so glad that you and Deeni got to snuggle last night. IMO, it shows that she wants that part of her life back as much as you do. And that is amazingly sweet. Deeni :wub:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I'm so glad to hear this bit of good news. Good for you for loving her enough to learn ways to reach her. Sounds like she's on the road to finding her confidence & well-being again.

I've also learned much from reading these tips others have been giving here. Isn't this just the best site ever!!

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Guest BooBooMama

It breaks my heart that Deeni is not trusting you. :weep I don't have as much experience as the rest of these folks, but I do know that once they get scared it takes a long time for them to get it out of those pointy little heads. But I do believe that patience and love can overcome a lot.

I don't know if you or Deeni would be up for it, but I am planning on taking Lila to the meet & greet here in Green Bay on Saturday. Maybe a group of friendly people and hounds could help? We would love to meet you!

Thank you for the invitation but as much as I would love to meet you I think putting her in a car and driving 20 miles would be too traumatic for her. She does not want to leave the house at all, so taking her into a busy pet store would not be a good idea. Another time perhaps.

Guest TBSFlame

I have a pack of 5 and the only scheduled outside time is right after they eat. Any other time they come and tell me when they want to go outside. I know your girl will come back to you. I would just let her call the shots for a while. Poor baby.

WEDNESDAY MORNING UPDATE:

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Xan and John.

Last night I tried some of Turid Rugaas' calming signals with Deeni and she relaxed enough so that I could hold her and cuddle her the way we always do at bedtime. While she was in a relaxed state I massaged her entire body including her neck to see if maybe we are dealing with true pain related issues and she never flinched.

That being said, early this morning after checking to see if she was awake, I reached down from my bed to pet her while she was lying on her dog bed and she screamed. I think I am beginning to see the difference between touching her and setting her off. If she thinks I am going for her collar in an attempt to hook her up- she screams. This morning I had reached down to scratch her neck, something she normally loves but an act that could easily be misinterpreted as ‘going for her collar’.

She does NOT want to leave the house- plain and simple. I hate to allow her to ‘hold everything in’ for an entire day but I think I am going to have to let her call the shots for a awhile at least. I did not take her out at all yesterday afternoon and night. At about 3:30 AM she woke me asking to go outside so I took her out with me. Luckily in the small Midwestern city and quiet neighborhood where we live there were no cars driving past our house at the hour so she was relaxed and walked around the yard with me to relieve herself so she will ask when she is ready.

Since it seems that we have the pain well under control, I will start slowly reducing the Tramadol today and hopefully this will also reduce its psychotropic effects which may be acerbating her fears and anxieties. I am beginning to feel that this is going to be just a little rough patch in her healing process and that we will overcome this. I want my little girl back and now I know she will come back to me.

:yay

This is fabulous stuff!! I'm so glad you're finding a way in so soon, and that you can begin to deduce the things that are most triggering to her! Yeay!! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest longdoglady

I totally feel your pain, it is awful when your dog stops trusting you but Deeni will overcome this with your help. My previous dog, Jack, was savaged by a GSD and just looking at me seemed to bring it all back, he lay in the corner of the room facing the wall so that he could not see me :weep

We overcame this by me ignoring him so he could come to me in his own time (very hard to do when all I wanted to do was comfort him), using calming signals when he looked at me and plugging DAP diffusers around the house. He soon began to lie near me, but no touching or looking at him allowed, then I was allowed to give him brief strokes on his body and to brush him. Before long we were back to normal and I had my loving boy back :)

You are doing the right things, just ignore her (the hardest part :nod ) and carry on as normal, you will soon have your little girl back. :gh_bow

Thank God for Deeni's continued recovery.

A couple of months ago, my little Angel had a tumor on her elbow that had to be removed. It WAS benign, by the way! YEAAA!! However, she had to keep going back for bandage changes, staple redos, and so forth. It was a very very painful area for her. I could hear her screaming out in the waiting room!!! Her sister Bella who always came along for moral support was frantic too listening to her. Half the times they had to put her under. She was so traumatized by associating going to the vet with PAIN, that she did not want to even do her FAVORITE thing in the world- "go for a RIDE"!! I hated hated it. I had to be so extra gentle with her, and I would lay with her in her bed and sing to her and stroke her and hand feed her treats. It took a few weeks before I could slowwwly get her out to the driveway. But eventually she did. She is not due to the vet for about nine months, but I hope that will be enough time.

By the way, my girls have gotten away from me a couple of times and I am VERY careful. It can happen to anyone in the world. It is just one of those times that being human just cant cover 100%.

I am praying for you and Gigi. God Bless.

I'm so happy to see this wonderful news. You'll get your girl back, I'm sure.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest BooBooMama

A couple of months ago, my little Angel had a tumor on her elbow that had to be removed. It WAS benign, by the way! YEAAA!! However, she had to keep going back for bandage changes, staple redos, and so forth. It was a very very painful area for her. I could hear her screaming out in the waiting room!!! Her sister Bella who always came along for moral support was frantic too listening to her. Half the times they had to put her under. She was so traumatized by associating going to the vet with PAIN, that she did not want to even do her FAVORITE thing in the world- "go for a RIDE"!! I hated hated it. I had to be so extra gentle with her, and I would lay with her in her bed and sing to her and stroke her and hand feed her treats. It took a few weeks before I could slowwwly get her out to the driveway. But eventually she did. She is not due to the vet for about nine months, but I hope that will be enough time.

By the way, my girls have gotten away from me a couple of times and I am VERY careful. It can happen to anyone in the world. It is just one of those times that being human just cant cover 100%.

Poor sweet Angel. Deeni knows just what she felt. Deeni used to LOVE rides- my first GH that likes the car. When we had stretches of rainy days this summer I would put her in the car and just drive around the city. She looked SO happy sitting on the back seat looking out the window. Now she is terrified of the car- convinced that I am taking her to the vet. Her elbow was gashed in the accident and she has staples that need to be removed in 14 days. I dread that day. One step at a time.....

Poor sweet Angel. Deeni knows just what she felt. Deeni used to LOVE rides- my first GH that likes the car. When we had stretches of rainy days this summer I would put her in the car and just drive around the city. She looked SO happy sitting on the back seat looking out the window. Now she is terrified of the car- convinced that I am taking her to the vet. Her elbow was gashed in the accident and she has staples that need to be removed in 14 days. I dread that day. One step at a time.....

Yes Gigi, one step at a time. Deenie will eventually come out of this with your sweet love to her. I takes a lot of gentle love - it did for Angel anyway because Angel is so sensitive anyway. But sweet little Deenie will have all the support here from Greytalk and prayers. I am so glad all your staff at the vet is so loving and supportive to her. I will pray for her emotional trauma to swiftly heal over.

May I share a pic of my sweet Angel??

%3ca%20href=Copy1.jpg">

Edited by LadyGrey

I hope you can appreciate the HUGE leap toward recovery that Deeni has taken by allowing you to touch her - and all within such a short time after following Xan's advice! Reading about it just sent chills up my spine - it was just fantastic! While it may not seem fast enough to you, I think it was monumental. Please continue to do whatever you are doing and you will be rewarded tenfold! I hope you can help her reconcile the car issue. Don't you just wish you could plug into her psyche for just a moment? Sending powerful prayers of recovery and emotion healing white light to Deeni.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

my gosh, you and your sweet Deeni are going through so much :( :( :( getting hit is bad enough but now with her being so freaked out....I can't even imagine. I'm glad Xan's advice helped -- and I'm sure it will just take some time -- and will get better when she's off the medications. Who knows what that is doing to her frame of mind right now.

continuing to send many hugs Deeni's and your way! :bighug :bighug

ps. she is BEAUTIFUL!!! love me them black houndies :D

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

She is beautiful. Ditto on the black houndies!! I have a soft spot, too!

Continued wishes for her fully recovery.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest BooBooMama

my gosh, you and your sweet Deeni are going through so much :( :( :( getting hit is bad enough but now with her being so freaked out....I can't even imagine. I'm glad Xan's advice helped -- and I'm sure it will just take some time -- and will get better when she's off the medications. Who knows what that is doing to her frame of mind right now.

continuing to send many hugs Deeni's and your way! :bighug :bighug

ps. she is BEAUTIFUL!!! love me them black houndies :D

Thank you. But Deeni is white with red markings. Angel (LadyGrey's dog) is the pretty little back GH in the photo.

This is Deeni

Houdini51320104.jpg

Guest BooBooMama

Thanks, but the pretty little black hound is Angel- LadyGrey's dog. This is Deeni:

HoudiniSweetFaceAugust32010004.jpg

Thanks, but the pretty little black hound is Angel- LadyGrey's dog. This is Deeni:

HoudiniSweetFaceAugust32010004.jpg

I am so sorry Gigi for parading my girl in your post. I was being too mommy there. Your Deenie is just LOVELY!! I wanted to see a pic anyway!!! Still praying for the sweet baby. She has sweet eyes too!!