Hardday

Guest greytlady

Guest greytlady

I'm sure in everyone's life is a moment that stays time. A moment where your life is changed, where your path is pointed out and your feet set in a new direction. Such a moment for me was the day that a dark brindle boy with one eye walked into my home. The previous weekend I walked thru the kennel looking at all the dogs, trying to pick out my first greyhound to foster. "Not that one" I said about the brindle boy that barked the whole time I was there. I was very disappointed when it was that dog that was delivered to me the following weekend. That disappointment lasted less than a day as that dark brindle boy worked his magic on me. The perfect dog I told eveyone. But perfect can't begin to describe what Hardday was. He was my confident, he was the warm body that snuggled with me at night, he was the wagging tail with the happy feet that greeted me every time I came home. He was the beginning of a journey that has given me the most joy and the biggest heartache ever. For 11 years his one eye has missed nothing. He kept order in the kennel, he graced my bed and was always there putting his nose in my hand and giving his strength when times got tough. Every Star City Greyhound, past, present and future has Hardday to thank for their new start in life. For all his easy going manner he had a core of steel and a determination to do things his way no matter what. That determination carried him thru the last few years as his body got frail. Many thanks to Dr. Simms, Hardday's acupuncturist, whom he referred as the cookie Dr, for helping to keep him going. Last night Hardday had a stroke. His weak rear gave out and he could only go to the right. He fought and thrashed for hours. Getting him in a vehicle was out of the question. I fussed, argued and begged him to stop. He had beaten every other road bump in his life and he wasn't about to give up without a fight. I finally got him calmed down and resting and got a few hours sleep before he was up and at it again. He had to pee and he was going outside no matter what. Once that was done I laid with him on his bed and he let me know that he was done with this body and ready to move on. All he wanted in the end was for me to be with him. Such presence, grace and dignity as he had allowed him to leave with a slight sigh and a promise to wait for me. Right now I'm lost. My compass, my solid base that grounded me, my reason for everything I do is gone. I'm glad you are free my sweet man, but OMG how I miss you!

post-8382-12774822029127.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an amazing, magical fellow. I'm so sorry he had to leave you.

Godspeed, Hardday.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry.grouphug.gif But Hardday will be with you always. Love as strong as what you two shared can't just disappear because an old body gives out. Love is energy (like everything else) and it can't be destroyed. He'll always be there for you. Death is not strong enough to contain the powerful love of our hounds.

flowers_red.gifghrun.gifflowers_red.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. Hardday had a good, long life with you. He sounds like he was a joy to share your days with.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I am so sorry. What a beautiful, moving tribute to your "compass" (oh, that is wonderful! blush.gif ). Remember, missing someone is a way of keeping them with us even when they are not. I hope you find some comfort in this. grouphug.gif

Godspeed Hardday ghrun.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What a beautiful and moving tribute to a very special dog. Your heartache at his loss comes through your words. He held a very important place in your heart and will always be there. May all the memories of Hardday and the wonderful times you spent together bring you comfort.

flowers_yellow.gifflowers_yellow.gifflowers_yellow.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

What a beautiful tribute...I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest greytlady

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and comforting thoughts. His ashes came back home today and once again he is keeping an eye on things.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 What a wonderful tribute to your special boy.

Godspeed Hardday.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)