Bessie's Toe Amputation Update

Glad she's feeling better now (how are you?) One thing I would find out--is she spayed and did they have problems with that sx? IF she didn't have problems in the past she may just be a non-MH pup--just a thought.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anesthesia protocols have changed a lot over the years; I think that it's a myth that a dog who has a bad reaction once can "never" have it again--I hope so, because George also had a bad reaction to it when his teeth were cleaned, but it turned out fine.

Suggest your vet go here and read the article under #4: Linky on OSU web site

They have never suggested he cannot have anesthesia again.

Hang in there Sue! I know how scary it is, but I think she'll be just fine.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If dog did have MH, pretty sure wouldn't want to use gas anaesthesia again, only injectables. Not sure if *all* injectables are safe or only some, OP could email feemandvm and ask. Big fat red note should be put in dog's file.

Hope Bessie is on the road to a full recovery this morning!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

oh gosh!!! sending prayers for Bessie!!! :( :( :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Our adoption group arranged to have some Dantrium on hand at our local Greyhound vet. It was very difficult to find, and eventually got some at a local hospital.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Oh no! What a frightening turn of events for you and Bessie. Prayers coming that your girl is going to be just fine.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Sue, the first place I would check is the local hospitals pharmacy dept and see who they get theirs from. They are a good source of information and contacts. I have called the PharmD on our ICU and asked him where we get ours (1800 bed hospital). Will post when he gets back to me. One of the things that my vet and I are using and have been for quite some time is (Oh goD, here it comes!) is Propofol (Diprivan). Its short acting, and if used properly, does not have too many side effects. We use it frequently in our unit in conjuction with other drips, especially for head injuries with intracranial pressure issues. Its perfect for some simple and short procedures and after turning it off, patients start to wake up within about 10-15 minutes. It can, however, if run too fast or too large one time dose, cause a drop in blood pressure. For more involved procedures, we go the usual anesthetics route.

L.

How is Miss Bessie this morning. Waiting for an update...

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

My vet uses Propofol as the anaesthesia induction agent for all sighthounds. Only problems we -- and they! -- have ever had with it is once Joseph would not go under and they had to mask him down. He's had at least two procedures since then with no incident.

The thing I like about it is, my dogs seem to wake up better/faster than with ketamine/valium induction.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Bessie is now at the home vet just three miles from home. She walked out of the e vet office but collapsed in the parking

lot. Her temp is 100.7 but now her blood pressure is too low and heart rate is too fast. I am allowed to go sit with her in

one hour. These are not good signs. Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts.

Sue

Continued prayers for your sweet Bessie.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Continued good thoughts and prayers for Bessie and for you. Please get well, sweetheart!

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest greyt2love

Checking in, hoping for a positive update on Bessie. You and your lovely lady are in my thoughts and prayers, hoping for big improvements as the day progresses !

Guest Energy11

As you said, there was no way anyone knew it would happen, but, I agree that the vet SHOULD HAVE had that drug on hand, just in case!

We are praying for Bessie here. Love, Dee and The Five

Sending more prayers.

I'm so sorry this has happened to Bessie - I hope she stabilizies very soon. :getwell:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis