Polli Tripped

Polli is out of surgery.

I have a tripod. I can't believe this. As someone said (Sorry, my head is spinning) this all happened so fast, a trip on the steps, a whine and BOOM- amputation.

She did "well". What does that mean? it was clean, leg off, little blood loss and they will keep her sedated/asleep all day today/tonight. I opted to have round the clock nursing for her so she is not alone during the night. This way, they will check in with us as often as I need. Every hour, every other hour...whatever.

Sigh. It's all very surreal.

Now she can get on with recovery. You however, will take a little more time to come to terms with it all :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin I'm so sad to hear this. We send you all our very best. Jack, fortunately didn't break his leg, but he is still here with me 5 months later post diagnosis and no treatment. There is hope for you and Polli. You and Polli are in for a long haul I know but we are all here for you. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Vinnie

Robin - We know how hard and surreal this all seems, especially when it seems like there was no warning - it was just a whimper from a trip - a broken leg - and then, head first into the wall - surgery - and now you will be bringing home your sweet girl as a tripod. And while this all seems insane - keep in mind that they adjust very quickly to life as a tripod. The first couple of weeks are the hardest as you all adjust after that it will seem like someone just flipped a switch and bang, she'll be flying around your house and bossing everyone around. Contacting Dr. Cuoto is a wonderful idea, he can give you advice on the best chemo once they are able to complete the biopsy. He is wonderful and helped us so much with our Angel Vinnie. Gentle hugs to you all and extra scritches for sweet Polli. We are here for you.

Guest MySkye

You have her! Robin, I know it isn't the path you had hoped for yesterday with your first quick post, but right now, right this second, you have your beautiful Polli, alive to touch, to snuggle, to hold. I bet she is a fighter! I am so pleased to hear she is out of surgery and it was not wrought with complications.

I feel selfish asking for updates when you have a million other things to tend to, but I will check back in often hoping to hear recovery is going well. Please kiss that little angel just once for me.

My thoughts to you and Polli-O!

Warmly,

Lori and Mystee...

Edited by MySkye

You have her! Robin, I know it isn't the path you had hoped for yesterday with your first quick post, but right now, right this second, you have your beautiful Polli, alive to touch, to snuggle, to hold. I bet she is a fighter! I am so pleased to hear she is out of surgery and it was not wrought with complications.

I feel selfish asking for updates when you have a million other things to tend to, but I will check back in often hoping to hear recovery is going well. Please kiss that little angel just once for me.

My thoughts to you and Polli-O!

Warmly,

Lori and Mystee...

I wish I could see, touch, love her but I have to do it via osmosis. They will keep her sleeping today. IF she tries to get up, they will re-sedate her. We can't see her as I know it's not in her best interest to see her. She would get excited, possibly try to get up and it's not time yet. I wish I had some of the meds she has now so that I was numb from feeling the pain that I am feeling but I know I need to be as clear headed as possible for her. It's all about Polli, it always has been.

I am praying that we will be able to take her home Saturday evening.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Polli, what a clever girl you were to trip on those steps and get the attention you needed riteawayquick! Heal well, little one, and give your mama some kisses! You're on the candle list here in ND.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest greytmonty

You and your family and hounds are all in my thoughts, especially you and Polli. Thank goodness she did so well in surgery, now onto recovery.

Polli, what a clever girl you were to trip on those steps and get the attention you needed riteawayquick! Heal well, little one, and give your mama some kisses! You're on the candle list here in ND.

Interestly enough, we have thought the same thing. She had had abad limp exactly one year ago. It lasted 6 weeks. It was bad but all the x-rays were clean.

This time I did not panic when she started limping. I had planned on waiting several weeks to see if it healed since we have been through this before.

I guess "someone" up there figured it wasn't a good idea to wait so she tripped, fractured her leg and we had to take immediate action.

I don't know what to do with myslef.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Robin, I am so very sorry. I know you are reeling with shock and it all did happen so quickly. . There is a wealth of wisdom and experience from those in this forum who can help guide you and Polli through the recovery stages. Polli will be in my thoughts and prayers for safe and rapid healing.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Wow. That happened so quickly. Now you and Polli are through Round 1 fighting the cancer. It must be a lot of absorb for you. Continued good thoughts for Polli and for her family. Hang in there. :grouphug :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

OMG I missed this thread! NO! :ohno Not Polli too... :cry1 :cry1

Robin - I don't know what to say. I am so, so sorry. :( Everything happened to quickly, I can't believe she's already had surgery. I hope fervently that you can bring her home on Saturday... I will be out of town all weekend, most likely with no access to a computer, but I will be thinking of you, your DH and above all your beautiful girl.

Sending lots of hugs, hope and good thoughts your way. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest wmlcml6

I'm so sorry, Robin. I love the fast action by the vet though. Here's hoping and praying that Polli is running around again in no time, and that the surgery got rid of all the nasty C stuff.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm so sorry to hear it was cancer. My tripod sends hugs to your tripod.

Morgan_no_leg.jpg

Maybe white/orange brindle babies are lucky. Look how well Winslow and Morgan have done after their amputations. Morgan is now 33 months past his.

I'm so sorry to hear it was cancer. My tripod sends hugs to your tripod.

Morgan_no_leg.jpg

Maybe white/orange brindle babies are lucky. Look how well Winslow and Morgan have done after their amputations. Morgan is now 33 months past his.

This is truly inspirational to me. JUst what I needed to see... and hear.

Vet just called to say, she is resting comfortably. her head is up. She is in a suit to keep her incision compressed. She said that starting the chemo within 72 hours after amputation will increase her chances of it not metastizing.

Tomorrow they will start carboplatin. What else can / should they be doing. If all goes well, she will come home Saturday.

They gave her a dental as she has gum issues and her breath was getting stinky. 3rd dental in 13 months and I brush EVERY night. Their reason was 1) I did ask them and 2) she was out 3) vet said that chemo greatly reduces the immune system and with dental disease, it could cause more problems.

Edited by RobinM

Not the news you or any of us wanted hear Robin. I am sorry. All our thoughts are with you and let's concentrate on getting Polli better, she is such a cutie. Morgan's story is incredible, let's hear the same for Polli in the years to come.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.