Bailey Bloated Last Night

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

First, I got a wonderful explanation from Shelley on CoG on what happened with all the proper medical talk. Here is the proper explanation:

Eva-- Let me see if I can help you understand the medical terminology better. The "pyoderm" is actually the pylorus (exit from the stomach into the small intestines.) Sometimes in bloat it will actually twist on itself, cutting off the blood supply to both the stomach and the spleen. The nodules on the spleen are called "siderotic plaques" and they are consistent with older dogs but the pathology will tell for sure. I am so glad that she is doing well after surgery--the first 24 hours afterward are the most important!!! White light streaming out to Bailey!! (and Andy and Ella!!!) Shelley and all the kids

And here is the latest update on our sweet Bailey girl.

***UPDATE Friday August 8****

How to recover....Bailey style...

She didn't want to be in the house, so I laid out three blankets for her under the tree - this was at 2pm

Photo_080708_001.jpg

As you can see she was very relaxed

Photo_080708_006.jpg

Then the sun started encroaching on her, so I made her a make-shift shelter to shield her from getting hot. There was a wonderful breeze yesterday

Photo_080708_013.jpg

And of course Andy and Ella were not far from her. Andy is actually sitting on her tail in this photo... must be as close as possible :wub:

Photo_080708_021.jpg

And then I don't know if you can see it under the chair, but there is a robin that was bouncing around Bailey this afternoon. The animal communicator told us that every time was saw a robin, that it was Carrier's spirit... so he too was with us enjoying the sun yesterday

Photo_080708_015.jpg

Bailey stayed like that from 2 - 6 pm. throughout the afternoon she had sips of vanilla ensure and at supper time she ate some cooked chicken. She had another small portion around 8 and again at 11 - she was very hungry.

She had a good night, slept most of it, but was a little agitated because she needed to take a poop but refused to move.

Tim and pulled out the futon and slept on the floor in the living room with her. At 5 am she woke up and walk straight into bed with us. She laid with her back up against my tummy and nestled her head into my chest. Then she pawed Tim over his arm and slept like this until 7. :wub:

I gave her some sulcrate and an half hour later some cooked some ground beef. At 7:30 she was ready for breakie and ate 1 1/4 pounds (normally she has 1 1/2 pounds).

The vet is coming later this afternoon to check on her. Her back foot is swollen and she has a bump on her bone so he is going to check that out. But she is walking fine, so here's hoping that's nothing.

She even got up to see Tim off to work and wagged her tail. :blush She is sleeping soundly now.

Thanks everyone for caring so much for our sweet girl. I'll let you know how we make out today.

Edited by LadyBailey

That is great news! She looks comfortable laying outside. I hope she continues to improve, knowing that her brother is watching over her.

Keep us up-to-date!

Mindy

Mom to Max (grey), Buttermilk (grey) and Winston (iggy) and Skinkids, Ally and Ben! In loving memory of Angels Chelsey(Weim), whom we lost on August 26, 2004, Majestic(Chow) on November 20, 2005, on October 5, 2007, we lost Natasha(lab mix), and on May 28, 2009 we lost our greyhound Ike born 7/31/2005 You were too young to go!!!! We lost Monte(Whippet) on September 23, 2009. We miss you all!

I'm so happy that she is feeling better and eating and even wagging her tail. I hope that the tests come back o.k.

She is a beauty, but I'm prejudiced because she looks a lot like my girl. :colgate

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Thank goodness she's doing so well. Such a pretty girl. :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a wonderful, heart-warming update. I'm so glad she seems to be on her way to recovery! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. :goodluck:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest EmbersDad

bailey, im glad u are home and on the mend. now please tell me u didnt get this silly idea to bloat and rearrange yer insides from watching the house repeat with the hasidic jew woman whose kidney was in the wrong place. please leave the drama to the teevee actors, your mum doesnt need any more :lol

Another update from this morning....

Her vet just came by to check on her. She had just come in from a pee and was standing in the living room when he walked in. She actually trotted wagging her tail to him to say hello. And then quickly realized that he was "the" vet - so she ran to sit down... too funny.

He checked out her foot - poked and prodded with no reaction from Bailey. It looks a bit better so we will just watch it now.

He checked out her incision and all looks good. Her colour is nice and red in the mouth - so that is wonderful too. And then he gave her a loving rub and some scritches.

He's on call all weekend... thank god... I hope we don't need him.

Edited by LadyBailey

Wow, Bailey looks fantastic; you'd never know she had a splenectomy a couple of days ago. Your vet is awesome in every way!

Marcia in SC

Oh Bailey!! It's just amazing how resilient these guys are, given even a portion of a chance!

You must have a great vet, too, to make a housecall like that!

Keep up the spoiling and cuddling and all that good stuff!!

Hooray for good news!! :confetti :confetti

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Bailey looks so content and happy to be home. It is wonderful that she is doing so well and recovering from her ordeal.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest paulamariez

Bailey, sweetheart, you look greyt!! Keep healing up and enjoy all the extra love and kisses from your family! I will keep your precious Bailey in my prayers for a complete and complication free recovery!!

Continued positive thoughts for sweet Bailey. There's no place like home. She looks so happy and content to be there.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

****UPDATE from this afternoon****

I put a t-shirt on Bailey and it helped to keep her from licking her tummy. She slept most of the afternoon. at dinner time she came when I asked her if she was ready for dinner. She ate her entire dinner of cooked ground beef and sweet potatoes made special for her.

She went out and did a jaunt around the yard and finally had a bowel movement. She was outside just as Tim was coming home and she trotted to the gate to welcome him. She was wagging her tail and even did a helicopter tail!!!!! ... then trotted back inside. At the moment, she is sleeping soundly on a double decker dog bed - she loves those.

thanks again for your well wishes. She a lucky girl to have so many good people thinking of her.

Good night.

Edited by LadyBailey

Guest Winterwish

She looks so beautiful! I'm so,so glad Bailey's going to be okay! and I hope you can begin to get some real rest for yourself soon. :wub: Bailey,Andy and Ella :wub:

She's a lucky girl to have you! :)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

She looks so comfy and relaxed outside

She sounds like she is doing really really good after surgery. Super news!!