Bailey Bloated Last Night

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*****UPDATE Thursday Morning*****

Sorry for not updating last night, I was so tired. I can't believe that there are 6 pages of good thoughts here! ;) You guys are the best. She is such a special girl.

So here is the update:

The vet called me and explained everything again. The tissue that was removed was actually scar tissue at the bottom of her stomach and it was blocked the space that leads to the intestine. Her spleen was actually so large that it was adhered to the other end of her abdomen - so given that, she probably would have never gone into torsion because the spleen wouldn't of had the momentum to actually flip on her stomach. I am still not 100% clear of all the medical talk - but I do understand what happened.... I just want to know the exact words to understand it better.

Anyway... I went up to see her at 3pm. Before I saw her I asked to see the spleen. OMG!!! It was freakin huge!!!! I actually took photos of it. It was about 2 x 1 feet and really ugly. Since it's so big, they can't actually test the entire thing, so they are taking samples from all corners and sending for path. I am scared as I know there is a chance that we could be dealing with Hemangiosarcoma. We won't get the results until Monday. But the spleen looks normal just very large.

So then I went in to see our girl. She was sitting with her head up but really out of it. She tried to get up a little when she saw me and let out some ever so sad cries. I sat down with her and comforted her. She settled after a few minutes. I wasn't planning on staying long, because I didn't want to bother her, but she was ended up taking some nice deep breaths and sighs and sleeping sound soundly, that I stayed with her until we transferred her to the after hours clinic... so I was with her for 4.5 hours. I settled her in at the after hours clinic and went home to see a very confused Andy and Ella. Bailey was lucky because they didn't set her up in a cage - she was on a pillow on the floor beside the nurse, so that made me feel better knowing that she wasn't caged up.

I checked in at 10:30 pm and they had just given her some more pain meds, but they drop her blood pressure, so they reversed it and waited to see if she needed any pain meds for the moment. When I spoke with them this morning, they said she had an okay night but around 3 am she was restless and started to shiver a bit, so they gave her another pain med and that seemed to do the trick and she settled afterwards and feel asleep.

Her regular vet is picking her up this morning and then calling me with next steps. I hope she is able to come home this morning. I also wish they had the same protocol for pain management as OSU - because Carrier was high as a kite and very happy for the first 5 days after his amputation not feeling a thing. I hope we too can manage her pain over the next few days and have her feeling better quickly.

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts. They mean a lot. I will let you know how we make out today.

It sounds as though things are progressing well. I hope she's soon home and healing nicely.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Glad to hear things are going smoothly so far. That's one big-a$$ spleen! Pics? :P

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sending good thoughts for a speedy, painfree recovery and that the path report comes back clean!

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest gr84me

I'm just now seeing this, and I'm so glad that the surgery was successful! I'm hoping that nothing shows up in the spleen, and for a quick, painfree, and uneventful recovery for Bailey (along with some really good pain meds).

And I hope you can get some sleep. I know you must be exhausted, too. :grouphug

One thing sticks in my mind of what my vet told me. If you catch hemangiosarcoma before it bursts, there's a 97% survival rate. So, even with the spleet that size, it sounds like it probably has not burst. Good thing for you!

Good wishes for Bailey's recovery.

Guest trevdog

Glad to hear she is doing better....hope she gets to come home soon where she can recover. I'm sure not being crated really helps too.

****UPDATE****

Off to get Bailey girl. I am nervous.

They say she is well enough to come home. She isn't eating for them, so I will pick up some lean ground beef and rice and make that for her.

Any tips on what she should or shouldn't eat? She is on a raw diet. I won't be giving her raw meaty bones for a while as I figure her tummy needs easy to digest food, so I thought just the ground meat and veggies would do.

We've had two dogs who had splenectomies for different reasons. They both took quite a while to recover, so if Bailey's not "bouncing around" soon, don't be surprised. They *did* recover eventually though, so don't lose heart.

Chaucer wouldn't eat for the longest time (2-3 weeks). We finally tried lamb baby food and that worked! Tucker wouldn't eat either. We gave him a doggy liquid diet that we got from the vet and gave that until he could eat solid food again. Can't remember the name of it -- I hate when that happens. Sorry!

I hope Bailey is one who eats as soon as she gets home and that she really does bounce back quickly.

Marcia in SC

Would be best to cook the meat for her for a couple weeks, until she's fully healed from the surgery. I usually do it on the stovetop but microwave works, too.

Hope her recovery is totally uneventful!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad Bailey is coming home today! get better soon sweetie. :kiss2:bighugsmileyhug.gif

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Kenny recommends bananas with peanut butter.

(He recommends this for everything though, so I'd check first with your vet to see if Bailey can have this as treats.)

Get well soon sweetie!

(And stop scaring mommy!)

GoinGrey

:paw

My Current Signature

Eva, I'm just reading this now...sending healing thoughts to Bailey and hugs to everyone.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Hurry home sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.