Bailey Bloated Last Night

Hi everyone,

I can't believe that so soon after our sweet Carrier left us, we are dealing with another medical crisis.

Here is a copy of my post on CoG - sorry for the cut and paste, but my brain is functioning properly.

Please send good thoughts and any advice on this would be great as the search function on GT isn't working.

thanks,

eva

------

Copy of CoG post.

Hi Everyone,

Our greyhound Bailey, who is angel Carrier's littermate, bloated last

night. She is going to be 11 on October 13.

We responded quickly to her symptoms and rushed her to the e-vet and

they were able to tube her and release the gas in her tummy that

way. That was 4:30 this morning. They kept her for the morning on

IV's and I called at 7 for an update. They told me that they tubed

her again and her tummy was not full of gas, so that is good and she

is doing fairly well. Her regular vet picked her up at 7:30 and

brought her back to their clinic. They are taking an xray right now

and we are waiting to hear what is going on and what the next steps are.

Anyone with experience with this, please let me know. Healing

thoughts are appreciated too (((Hugs)))

eva and angel carrier... and our sweet Bailey girl

UPDATE 10:00

We went out to see her and speak to the vet. They took another xray and she is getting bloated again. Their reco was to do the surgery to tack her stomach down to prevent torsion. She is distressed and looks angry. (that's our girl :) ) They will do the surgery this morning. Andy and Ella are pretty lost this morning and just keep looking for her outside. She is our alpha female and they completely adore her.

Please send good thoughts. I am sure Carrier is watching down on her.

thanks everyone.

Edited by LadyBailey

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o h geez, this so sucks. sending best thought to you, Bailey and the rest of your family.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sending my prayers. Please update us as you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh no Eva!

Prayers for Bailey! Pull through this and get better, sweet girl!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Sending lots of prayers! It sounds like she is bloating with no torsion(?) I hope the tacking down procedure is improved over years ago. Most times it did not work :(

Yes, she's just bloated.. no torsion. They were able to tube her without problem, so that is a "good" sign.

Our vets have done over 60 "tack" surgeries and only one continued to bloat after about a year or so and had to be put to sleep. So we are optimist that we caught in time and reacted quickly so there was no torsion... and also the fact that the vets are experienced with this. When we walked in both the vets came out to see us and said, "what? life was too boring for you, so you thought to spice it up?" We laughed because they know how crazy we are with the dogs... and they were unbelievable with Carrier's care... right down to when we had to let him go. I just pray that they don't find anything else in there, like a mass or something....

Edited by LadyBailey

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Bloating without the torsion is a good thing. Well a good thing for a bad thing if that makes sense.

I had a Neo mastiff that bloated then torsion and he was saved due to quick action. They did tack his tummy but a few years later he bloated and torsion again and we lost him :(

Most of the time the biggest worry when they go into the torsion is the back up of all "bad stuff" when they straighten it out all that "bad stuff" rushes their system and causes major problems.

We lost a racer after surgery was done due to this :(

Many good thoughts and tons of prayers headed your way. Do they have any idea why she's bloating so much?

Guest IndysDad
Sending lots of prayers! It sounds like she is bloating with no torsion(?) I hope the tacking down procedure is improved over years ago. Most times it did not work :(

I dunno, over the years, we've had far more than our share of Weims bloat/torsion..had the tack surgery done and were fortunate not to have had any problems/recurrance after having it done...possibly a different technique or just good surgeons?

Either way, here's hoping Bailey has an uneventful recovery :)

Sending tons of prayers and healing thoughts for Bailey. I'm so sorry you have to go through this ordeal.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson