Dancer- Dana’s Hilda 4/10/94 To 10/19/07

GreyTzu

Today Dancer joined our other beloved greyhounds at the bridge. She has been on a slow decline for several weeks and today we made the decision to release her. It was the hardest and yet most loving decision to make.

39f57860-2.jpg

Dancer was our first greyhound, coming home in April 1998. We had no clue! :lol She did! ;) We bumbled into PetsMart knowing we were ready to add a big dog to our household. We knew there was a greyhound group there on weekends so we went. And we met Dancer. And we were lost in the lipid pool of her gentle brown eyes and in her soft downy coat. She came home a week later. And she changed our lives forever.

pic021.jpg

Dancer had a presence about her. She just exuded elegance and grace. She commanded respect and she got it. She was the Queen in our house and everyone knew it. And she loved Kevin and had him wrapped around her paw. :wub: It was common to see Kevin on the floor with Dancer, nose to nose or just cuddling. I guess he’ll probably lose a “man card” after that revelation. :rolleyes:

IMG_3977.jpg

Dancer also possessed what we referred to as “Psychic Greyhound Powers.” When she was younger she would sleep on the couch. Heaven forbid, one of us were on the couch at nap time, or any other time she deemed nap time. That is when she would invoke her “Psychic Powers.” She would come to the couch, and stand and stare. And then she would stand and stare some more. And then she would whine a bit, stare at you and then look at the couch. After a bit she would whine and stare, sigh heavily and with great forlornness and walk away very dejectedly, only to come back and stare some more. Eventually we moved and she happily jumped onto the couch and roached out while we watched TV. Yes, our psychic greyhound!

804Dancertheroach.jpg

There was also the Greyhound Rub Wall. Along our hallway she had a rub mark down the entire length of both sides. She would start with the very tip of her elegant pointy nose at the corner of the hall and rub her entire body down the hallway wall. And when she reached the end, she would turn around and repeat it on the other wall. That was interesting explaining to the contractor during hurricane renovation. :lol

IMG_4001.jpg

Dancer welcomed everyone into our home with her little grin and fancy prance. She quickly taught them that she was the undisputed Queen of all things with four legs and everyone respected her iron paw and velvet snout. I think the only one who even remotely challenged her was little Xena, a nuke cat that we rescued. Kevin brought her home and set the cat carrier on the floor. Dancer happily pranced over, sniffed and play bowed. We opened up the door and Dancer repeated her happy greeting. To which this 5 pound ball of fluff responded to with a swift whack on the nose. Dancer huffled and walked off. Xena sauntered out of the carrier and into everyone heart, including Dancer. Dancer quickly whipped all new dogs into shape and everyone existed peacefully.

IMG_4339.jpg

I think the one thing that amazed me most about her is how she loved kids. If there was a kid around, Dancer would get all excited, want to run over and sniff them and play bow to them and all kinds of gross things. More times then I can remember I got dragged over to some kid and had to endure prattle just so she got petted. :rolleyes: Fortunately Kevin usually took over the leash at this point. I would run off to get out the doggie wipes and be ready scrub her up after. ;):lol But she did love the little kids. While I don’t think she would have done well in a house with them full time, she truly enjoyed her few minutes of germ-infested pats and sticky kisses. (Ok, I’m kind of skeeved out just typing that!!) As luck would have it, I have no pictures of Dancer and any two-legged children. :D

IMG_4229.jpg

Her nemesis was the dreaded tree rat!! It was her life’s mission to rid our yard of any and all squirrels. And she tried dearly to do that. There for awhile I think she though she had succeeded. After the hurricane of 2004, we had all the trees from our yard removed. And for while she would run into the yard and look around for those fuzz tailed demons. It seemed that just when she thought she had won the battle, we fenced off our extra lot, thus increasing the size of her domain. While our new enhanced yard still had no trees, it did provide a panoramic view of the great blue sky. And of course what lives in the sky? Birds!! Yes, she would run into the yard and scan the sky looking for those flying foe. Gosh help any that made the mistake of landing there or of being anywhere near our yard. She ran wildly, barking and leaping at them, making sure they departed the area, post haste. And speaking of yard, she patrolled our fence line daily. Every time she went outside, she walked the fence, looking for whatever it is that greyhounds hope to find beyond the fence. This morning Dancer and I took one last slow perimeter patrol and I knew she wad ready.

IMG_4175.jpg

8fde95dd.jpg

And no story could be complete without mentioning Dancer’s famous “Opposable Noseable.” She did truly amazing things with her wonderful bendy nose. Put a bowl of food in front of her and she would use that nose to ferret around until she found the tastiest tidbits of food. And just when you thought she had finished, she would grab the bowl, turn it a quarter of a turn and dive back in with that velvety snot-locker digging out that last morsel of goodness. Never did she notice that the tasty piece was stuck to her nose and she was oblivious to it. In our home, Dancer’s nose is legendary.

IMG_4379.jpg

19677654.jpg

Above all things, Dancer was a heart thief. She indeed stole our hearts and has set into motion a legacy of love and caring that I hope never ends. She taught us many things unto the greyhound ways. Chief among those deep and mysterious things was that we can never love too much and there is always room in your heart for another.

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

c16e47bb.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Those painful moments spent making the final decisions can never be allowed to overshadow the many years of love, happiness and joy that you brought into our lives. Take care of Dixie and Dylan and I know some day we will see each other again. Run free beautiful girl.

IMG_4394.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I stop crying I'll try to write more. I am so sorry.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Wendy she is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing her stories. I'd love to see pics of her rubbing-wall. :lol

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

What a nice pictorial tribute!!

:grouphug for you and Kevin....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of Dancer.

She will always be with you in spirit.

Godspeed Dancer, you are terribly missed.

:f_pink:gh_run:f_pink

Hugs,

Carla

Wendy you helped me get to know her. Thank you! Hugs to both you and Kevin. :f_pink

Godspeed Beautiful Dancer :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Very Beautiful Tribute :cry1

I'm so sorry Wendy and Kevin :grouphug She was a beautiful girl. Thank you for sharing her story with us :)

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

So sorry for your loss. She is a beautiful girl with a lot of love in her eyes.

God Speed Dancer.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so sorry. :cry1

What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful girl.

(She bears an uncanny resemblence to Piper :()

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Wendy. :grouphug

Run with the angels Dancer..........

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

What a girl! She Who Must Be Obeyed .....

I'm sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, gorgeous. And thank you for training your people so very well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.