Marla Seems Slightly Depressed, Sometimes Won't Eat.

ZoomDoggy

She gets a Pepcid once daily. FWIW her appetite was lousy for a month before even starting the cipro. I have sucralfate left over from Chancy, but my vet said he didn't feel that's necessary yet. I can ask him about using Chancy's prednisone. Hell I have a well-stocked geriatric dog pharmacy left over from Chancy's last few weeks. :cry1

She still acts like she is hungry, still comes in to watch me prepare food. But just doesn't want to eat it. Not in her dish, not on a plate, not from a spoon, not from my hand. She will not eat Green Eggs and Ham...

Guess I'm getting punchy. :rolleyes: The not eating is soooo precisely like Sissy and Chancy in their final weeks, every time Marla snubs food I want to cry.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is just pneumonia and scar tissue and the Cipro is going to work it just takes some time. I am going to say that and mean it and believe it unless forced otherwise, cause that's how I roll

:grouphug

:kiss2

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I'd talk to the vet about using pred and carafate.

Ditto ditto ditto. The dose of pred needed to get B eating again was small -- he had to go out a lot for several days but that wore off while the good effect on his appetite remained.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just left the vet a voicemail saying unless I misunderstood him yesterday, (if it's cancer, it's untreatable, if it's not cancer, we continue with the cipro as we already are), I see no point in doing the ultrasound and biopsy. I did ask about adding a light dose of prednisone to stimulate her appetite. This vet is usually very responsive, so I expect he'll call back within a few hours.

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

oh Aimee I just saw your update. How sad and frustrating. I wonder if Dr. Couto would be willing to look at the films to give another opinion.

:grouphug Marla :grouphug

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Sending prayers. :hope

Maybe try Zantac instead of Pepcid, and twice a day?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

The vet returned my call. He agreed that my choice to decline the ultrasound is reasonable. So we'll continue on with the antibiotics, and possibly add in a new prescription on Thursday to help stimulate her appetite. I can't recall what it's called, but it's an anti-nausea med that has an additional effect of increasing appetite-- I hope! He said that prednisone wouldn't be the best choice for Marla right now because of her high WBC (pred would suppress her immune system, which is not what she needs).

I'm home now. Marla ate a hotdog and part of my pita bread snack (I chose not to offer her my hummus). :chow:

If it's a pneumonia, it seems to be a very untypical pneumonia as normally there are symptoms of high fever, coughing

and difficult breathing. Did you run a tick panel...just in case? Lethargy and anorexia (loss of appetite) are some

of the symptoms of a tick disease...does Marla have any fever?

I hope your sweet Marla will recover soon!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

I don't know if this will help at all but last November my son had a horrible bout of atypical pneumonia. His symptoms were that of a severe stomach virus and he couldn't eat for over a week. He was vomiting, spiked a high fever and needed IV rehydration. Finally admitted to the ER an X-ray was taken of his lungs that showed he had pneumonia. No coughing, nothing previously to indicate his lungs were involved. There was scar tissue on his lungs for a while that went away after a time.

It took a while for his appetite to return. Maybe the same thing has happened to Marla. Would she eat warmed up mashed potatoes with small pieces of boiled chicken mixed in? This was the only thing that sparked our Hobbes appetite when he was ill in August. He turned his nose down at his usual dog food and many of the treats we offered.

My thoughts are with you. I know you are beside yourself with worry and you have been thru so much already. May all the good thoughts and prayers going your way heal Marla.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Marla has had no fever, no vomiting, no coughing. Yes it's very odd. :dunno: That's precisely why I debated so long about whether the not-eating was just behavioral, or if something was actually wrong.

Marla slept on our bed between us last night (barely needed encouragement to hop up there this time ;) ), and I was actually encouraged by the fact she grumbled at hubby every time he shifted in his sleep. :lol That's normal for her, and it's something she hasn't done in a while.

I tried a new recipe on her last night: Boiled ground beef with brown rice and a touch of garlic salt. She ate it so eagerly, I gave her a second helping! :chow: I also discovered she really likes plain yogurt, so she got large dollops of yogurt for dessert after her beef/rice meals last night and this morning.

It made me happy to see her eat something with relative zeal (though I know this may not last either), but I'd be even happier if she ate actual dog food. One thing at a time, I suppose...

Upshot is, she's hanging in there, and doesn't seem worse.

Thanks again everyone, for caring about my little mopey Marsie-doates. :wub:

If she's up to a short play date this weekend, let us know. We don't need to run around outside if she's still limping around. You know Passion loves to explore your house :lol

I just had a good chuckle thinking of Marla's reaction if we did come over.

Marla:

That whiney brat is back????

Passion:

whine, whine, whine

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Marla's foot is feeling much better. She's almost walking normally again. I still put the Therapaw on her when we go out for walks though, until that pad heals a bit more.

A playdate would be fun. Marla would likely just choose not to participate. That's how she was during the pupsitting of the last few weeks.

Guest Winterwish

Oh Aimee if Marla's eating better,maybe the antibiotics is all she'll be needing. Sending payers this has all been only the pneumonia. Get well wishes sent out to Marla! :hope:heart:dogcookie

:bighug