Marla Seems Slightly Depressed, Sometimes Won't Eat.

ZoomDoggy

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long afternoon.

Good news: Marla isn't sad.

Bad news: Marla has pneumonia.

We don't know why. We're going to start with antibiotics and wait for a radiologist to examine the xrays to determine if we should aspirate and analyze the fluid in/around her lungs. The vet told me to stay positive.

:sad1

Sending POSITIVE thoughts and HUGS for you and Marla!

Prayers for Marla. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest LolasMom

I'm so glad to hear that you atleast discovered the problem. Poor little one.

In the cases I've seen, pneumonia is very treatable. Staying positive here. :hope

Guest BlackandBrindle

Well at least now you know what's causing the lack of appetite. Hopefully these antibiotics will knock that crummy pneumonia right out and Marla will feel 100% again :grouphug

Sending lots of good thoughts to your girlie :hope

Sending lots of good and healing thoughts to Marla...how did they discover that was what was going on, fluid?

Yes, there were pockets of fluid visible on her chest xrays. The films are being sent to a radiologist to determine if anything else is visible that my vet might've missed. The radiologist may or may not recommend doing a fluid aspiration to find out what exactly the stuff is. In the meantime: cipro, and now I can finally offer her anything her little heart desires to eat because now at least I know the not eating isn't behavioral.

She still wasn't much interested in dogfood of any variety this morning, but did eat two scrambled eggs with gusto. And she came into the kitchen with the rest of the pups (full house with two additional hound-guests this week) to beg for a treat (which she even ate!). That seemed like a good sign. :)

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

If it's just fluid, the cipro should help her feel better. They gave that to Jam when he had fluid, unfortunately it didn't help as it wasn't just fluid.

It does sound like she's feeling a bit better....

:kiss2

Hope Marla is feeling better (and hungry again) soon!

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Thank you for the kind thoughts everyone. :) Just cuz she's cute, here are a few Marla pics I like:

Marla_10yo.jpg

marla_pool.jpg

marla_roach3.jpg

They gave that to Jam when he had fluid, unfortunately it didn't help as it wasn't just fluid.

May I ask what it was in his case?

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Sending more prayers. The only thing that has helped Cody Angelo with all the fluid in his chest is Predisone and without that he coughs and the fluid builds so quickly. His biopsies from his surgery did not show lung cancer as they thought but lung irritation. Feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Marla has eaten her last two meals very well (after snubbing the first two recipes I tried). I fear it's temporary, just because that's the way she's been lately. :rolleyes: But the stew of fresh boiled turkey and canned food seems to be pretty tasty for now. <knock on wood>

She doesn't seem to show any increased energy yet, but I'm hoping that's just because her back right foot has been very very sore from where they hulled two corns from one toe on Wednesday. She's been three-legging it since then. :(

She was a little restless last night, so I hoisted her up onto our bed to sleep between hubby and me the rest of the night. She seemed to like that (it's a rare privilege, as Sissy was the only people-bed regular here). :)

Guest nerak254

I am wondering if recovery form pneumonia is basically the same for them as it is for us. If it is, I'd expect that she'll be a while before she's her bouncy self. It's been 5 weeks for me and some days are ok an other days I can't wait to go back to bed.I'm glad she's feeling better and eating. She might like Dinty Moore Beef Stew while she's being picky. Someone suggested it to me and it worked for Ms. Jessica.

Normally the symptoms of pneumonia are heavy breathing, high fever, coughing etc.

Here's a link of canine pneumonía:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu.JtYf1GPyQB...management.html

I hope she feels better soon...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Thank you for asking. :)

Marla seems to be holding steady. Her appetite is the same, which is to say, very reluctant. Her energy is the same, still low. Still not the way she used to be. I must confess I'm very frustrated and weary of trying to come up with novel foods to tempt her with. I really miss the eager little hoover who would drool profusely over the potential of any kind of treat. I miss Marla's little stuffie-tossing-squeeking and fuzz-plucking play sessions she used to do before each meal. I miss her deep yoga stretches in the mornings. She's just not the same dog anymore and I don't know what to do for her. :sad1

I'm supposed to hear the radiologist's opinion of the xrays we took last week, maybe today. He is supposed to advise as to whether we should try aspirating a sample of the fluid to determine what it is.

<sigh>