Marla Seems Slightly Depressed, Sometimes Won't Eat.

ZoomDoggy

Just when I think I'm all worried out... Now I think something's up with Marla, my little 10 year old girlie. She's very hard to read, so I'm having trouble figuring out if she's really not feeling well, or if she's depressed, or if she's just playing me to try and get different food...

We've had Marla since December, and I still sort of feel I don't really know her very well. She came from a home where her owner passed away. Marla has always been a little mopey, which I had attributed to missing her owner. (She's the first bounce I've ever seen who was relatively well cared for) She has occasional bouts of playfulness with her stuffies, but it's not consistent. She doesn't like going for walks, which may be due to the corns I see on her back feet. She doesn't usually limp, but will sometimes if I make her walk too far.

What really is starting to concern me is that since Chancy passed away, Marla seems even more mopey and had intermittently stopped eating. I thought perhaps she was reacting to my depression, but when the weather turned cold late last week, she seemed to perk up, both energy- and appetite-wise.

She went on a hunger strike for a couple days early last week when I tried to transition her back to her regular kibble (when Chancy was sick, I had been giving Marla a dollop of Chancy's soft food mixed with her kibble). Marla wouldn't touch the regular kibble until I resumed putting the dollop of soft food in. At that point I figured she was playing me to get the "better" food. :rolleyes:

But yesterday and today, she doesn't want the kibble no matter what incentives I add to it. She drinks and eliminates normally, and she even comes in to watch me prepare her meal, as though she's hungry, but as soon as I put her dish down, she sniffs, and walks away.

In desperation to get her to eat anything since it had been since Saturday evening that she last ate, I thawed some of Chancy's leftover meatballs and Marla ate those just fine.

So. Is she just upping her manipulative food-games? Or is something wrong?

Her last bloodwork was a few months ago, and all was normal. If she doesn't snap out of this weird funk soon, I'll have to take her in. I just feel sort of drained both emotionally and financially since losing Chancy. I feel like I barely have the energy to worry about Marla right now. :sad1

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only say that Alan, who is 10, makes me wonder a lot of the time. Sometimes he seems depressed, but he is an only dog - no losses there, sometimes it seems like he doesn't feel well and sometimes I think he is playing me. He is more finicky the older he gets. One day he is fine, the next different. I don't know if it has anything to do with being older or not, but I have him for 7 years (almost) and he is different.

I would go ahead and take her in for a thorough physical and labs, it could be something simple but you never know until you have her checked. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Two of mine pulled off kibble they have been eating for almost 2 years. They like Mizzy's kibble. So, today I am going to the store and buy the kibble they like. I don't consider it a game, I think they should be able to pick one kibble over another if possible. Also, nine times out of ten, they eat what they need.

I always add even a tablespoon of something. Who wants to eat the same thing day in and day out?

If it's been awhile since blood work, I'd get a panel done.

Sending prayers!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Her last bloodwork was June 21st. The only thing I see slightly off is creatinine 1.7 (range 0.5-1.6). That doesn't seem too bad to me. :dunno: But it's possible she's been drinking a little more than usual... Or maybe my panic-prone brain is imagining it... :unsure:

I don't mind giving her whatever food she wants, I just fear going down the path of encouraging a picky eater to be pickier. BTDT, it's a maddening game. :rolleyes: Marla wasn't picky at all the first 6-7 months. This past month, she's become pretty finicky. Today and yesterday I can't even tempt her with various dollops of soft food mixed in. I thought at first she was just jealous of all the good stuff Chancy was getting, thus I started adding the spoonful of goodies to Marla's kibble. That worked well for a while. This past weekend, even that won't do.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and bring her in. :(

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

The creatinine seems fine for a grey. Have you done full thyroid and TBD panels? That's where I'd go since your bloodwork was recent. Full thyroid from MSU and TBD from NC if you can. If not, full TBD from Protatek and follow-up testing from NC if necessary depending on what shows up in the results.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest nerak254

Aimee, I'm wondering if she may benefit from a change of scenery for a coupe of days. When Jessica died, it was a huge problem for Missy as you may remember. The weekend of DD#2's wedding you were wonderful enough to hook me up with Gobi's parents. Missy was a different dog when she came home, but for us the damage was already done and we had to move. Maybe she needs something like that too....or the DQ delivery service is still open.

That's what I would do. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest jurishound

Hmmm. In my experience, a gradual loss of appetite is worrisome. I would have her checked out too. We have a senior hound who we adopted relatively recently and is a picky eater. Batmom's meatloaf has turned out to be a great appetite booster. The recipe(s) are in this thread:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=179389

Sending good wishes your way!

Since the "goodies" are not tempting her...I would take her in for a quick "look and see" and some labs. Lack of appetite was our Angel Queenie's first indication that she had Renal Failure. Probably your little gal is just being picky but it is best to be sure. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Winterwish

If Marla ate the meatballs just fine,I would lean more towards it being a depression reaction to Chancy going to the bridge,along with how sad she knows you have been.

Kind of like when ice cream or rice pudding is what you want when you're feeling sad. A real meal? not up to it. A bowl of vanilla ice cream? well okay. :sad1 Know what I mean?

Sending hugs Aimee and Marla, :bighug

Guest LolasMom
Since the "goodies" are not tempting her...I would take her in for a quick "look and see" and some labs. Lack of appetite was our Angel Queenie's first indication that she had Renal Failure. Probably your little gal is just being picky but it is best to be sure. :grouphug

I'd say a check would be a safe bet. She seems to be acting more like a pup that might have something upsetting her tummy or making her a little nauseous. The way you described her watching you make her food, looking interested, smelling it, then turning away, sounds like she wants to eat. Sometimes the smell is enough to convince them they're tummy isn't ready.

If she does eat a particular food, then it sounds like she may be a little depressed. Either way, I hope she feels better soon :beatheart

Guest Tenderhearts

Not to alarm you, but going off of feed was the first indication anything was wrong with Skittle :(

I also vote for a vet visit :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Thanks you for the replies. I think I will schedule an appt for her. It's just that I can't really point to much in the way of "symptoms" so I feel sort of vague and alarmist...

I would take her to the vet if she were mine. I'd also be wondering it another dog might perk her up. Any chance of that?

You mean my Tipper-boy doesn't count? Poor Tippy. :lol

Hugs for Marla and for you too Aimee.

I think our 'instinct' when it comes to our babies is usually pretty good. I know you tend to be firmly rooted in your 'eeyore pessimissm' and I try to bounce you out of it with my 'tigger optimism' :lol but I would say if you are leaning toward her needing to be checked out then it is probably a good idea.

Does she cheer up and eat when other pups are around? have Kari bring S&P over to test that theory ???

Crap, how could I forget Tip, probably because he never causes any trouble so doesn't get talked about much :lol

:grouphug

Edited by Mystella

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I think our 'instinct' when it comes to our babies is usually pretty good. I know you tend to be firmly rooted in your 'eeyore pessimissm' and I try to bounce you out of it with my 'tigger optimism' :lol but I would say if you are leaning toward her needing to be checked out then it is probably a good idea.

Crap, how could I forget Tip, probably because he never causes any trouble so doesn't get talked about much :lol

:lol Thanks Carolyn. I know I can be pretty negative. It's one of the reasons I like GT-- helps me get a smattering of other opinions before I utterly freak out with worry.

Yes, Tipper has really been in good shape for all the 4 1/2 years I've had him (except that recent stupid dislocated toe incident, which led to my baseless bone cancer panic :rolleyes: ), so the poor boy does get taken for granted sometimes. Knock on wood.

He eats like a champ. If he ever skips a meal I would run, not walk him to the nearest E-vet. :lol

Does she cheer up and eat when other pups are around? have Kari bring S&P over to test that theory ???

Sparks will be there Thurs-Monday so hopefully that will cheer her up a little.

Altough I feel guilty as heck to be adding to the stress by sending him over.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sparks does not add any stress. Don't be silly. He's a perfect boy. :wub: As is Gobi, so I have no worries that our guest hounds will cause any problems. Sounds like Willow may not arrive until Sunday. She's no prob either, the little cutie. :)