Marla Seems Slightly Depressed, Sometimes Won't Eat.

ZoomDoggy

I know my vet tends to disapprove of Tramadol as a pain med for greys for some reason. But at this point, I'm considering it anyway.

Anyone know offhand if Tramadol has any interactions with Cipro and/or Metoclopramide?

I'll be calling my vet again in the morning.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burpdog would know. I don't, wish I could be more help. Just, the other meds are harder on the tummy and she doesn't need that right now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Go with tramadol because if you do decide at some point to add pred, you can. I've given tramadol with several drugs.

Many vets are not familar with it and many underdose.

Tramadol

BRAND NAME: ULTRAM

AVAILABLE IN

50 mg

TABLETS

BACKGROUND:

The search for the relief of pain has existed for centuries if not millenia. It has long been known that the opiates are able to produce excellent analgesia as well as feelings of euphoria. Unfortunately, they are also habit forming, cause respiratory depression, sedation, and hallucinations. As science has examined the brain, several types of opiate receptors have been found such that stimulation of different receptors is responsible for the different effects of the opiates. For example, the “mu” and “delta” receptors account for analgesia (pain relief), euphoria, addiction, dropped heart rate and respiratory depression. The “kappa” receptors cause dysphoria (unpleasant feelings), constricted pupils, and sedation. The “sigma” receptors account for hallucinations. In the laboratory, it is possible to create opiates that stimulate only some receptors and not others. With delicacy it is possible to create a drug that creates analgesia and euphoria without being addictive or sedating. Tramadol represents such a drug.

In veterinary medicine there has been a recent explosion in the development of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications for the control of animal pain, particularly canine arthritis. These medications act by inhibiting cyclo-oxygenase, an enzyme that creates assorted inflammatory biochemicals. Unfortunately, cyclo-oxygenase also creates some much needed biochemicals as well and there are different forms of cyclo-oxygenase with different functions. These medications are virtually never safe for feline use (except in as one-time doses as in the control of pain associated with surgery). Further, occasionally, a dog will develop a reaction to one of the so-called COX-inhibiting anti-inflammatories. For these patients, a “mu” agonist like tramadol may be just the ticket.

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED:

Tramadol can be used for pain relief in both dogs and cats. (Most non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are dangerous for feline use so this provides a nice choice for cats with chronic pain issues).

Tramadol is given two to three times daily.

SIDE EFFECTS:

If a pet develops apparent sedation or bizarre behavior, the tramadol dose should be reduced.

Upset stomach is occasionally observed with tramadol.

Pupil constriction and panting may occur with this medication

Decreased heart rate may result but should not be problematic

Constipation may be a side effect

Overdose may manifest as seizures, pinpoint pupils, and mental alterations. Seek veterinary assistance at once should this occur

Side effects are generally considered rare.

INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS:

The beauty of this pain reliever is that it is compatible with all the COX inhibiting non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It is also compatible with all the joint pain nutriceuticals such as glucosamine, MSM, etc.

Tramadol is NOT compatible with Deprenyl. Animals taking deprenyl either to control Cushing’s Syndrome or to control senility may not take any sort of narcotic agonist medication including tramadol. Similarly, tramadol is not compatible with other psychoactive drugs such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, or monoamine oxidase inhibitors. If you are not sure if your pet is on one of these medications, check with your veterinarian.

CONCERNS AND CAUTIONS:

Tramadol is not passed to nursing young and should be an acceptable pain reliever for a lactating mother.

Tramadol is removed from the body by the liver (70%) as well as via kidney excretion (30%). Should disease be present in either of these systems, a dose reduction may be necessary

A human product called “Ultracet®” is available. It contains acetaminophen in addition to tramadol. This product is NOT safe for use in pets.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Ahhhhh Aimee. Just sending hugs and prayers.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest luluaz

Oh, Aimee, just seeing the latest :(

Solid Gold's Green Tripe(canned) is smelly and may get her going.....I know this is so hard, believe me.

When we discovered Gypsy had a lung mass, she was still happy and playful, but they go so fast and the ultrasound showed much more was involved :weep

Prayers for more good days and quality time :grouphug

Lisa

Oh, Aimee, just seeing the latest :(

Solid Gold's Green Tripe(canned) is smelly and may get her going.....I know this is so hard, believe me.

When we discovered Gypsy had a lung mass, she was still happy and playful, but they go so fast and the ultrasound showed much more was involved :weep

Prayers for more good days and quality time :grouphug

Lisa

Tried and rejected the green tripe already. :( Still have 90% of the single can I opened in the fridge.

May I ask, Did Gypsy show any symptoms besides not wanting to eat? I'm going crazy here trying to figure out if something else is in play here. Marla just doesn't show the classic signs of pneumonia.

We're not really having quality time now. :cry1 I'm spending almost every free moment trying to coax her to eat, or shoving medicines down her throat. I HATE that I'm having to do this again so damn soon after poor Chancy. I'm just having an impossible time accepting that Marla is terminally ill. I just can't make myself believe she won't bounce back and be my playful little stuffie-plucking black-velvet girlie anymore...

What does a nervous breakdown feel like?

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Oh no AImee....

I was hoping she was improving while we were gone....

Many :grouphugs to you.....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest Josquin

Oh, Aimee. This is just wrong. I don't even want you in this forum. You should be in "cute and funny" not worrying about anything. We love you, and of course we're praying for Marla. :hope

Guest Winterwish

Thinking of Marla. :hope Aimee,I wonder what being on an I.V. for a day would do for her? I'm wondering of a day of fluids would revive her some,and give her some energy so as to eat a small meal,unless going to the vet is very stressful for her.

Maybe she'd have some liver today?

Sending hugs, :grouphug

Mary, I tried cooking up some chicken livers last night. She ate about a tablespoon of it, minced up. I might try some more again later today. For breakfast she had one little jar of veal baby food with missing link added for nutrients, and 1/4 cup of yogurt. I had to syringe most of it into her, but she did enjoy licking the yogurt bowl at the end. I'd have liked to stay and feed her more, but I had to get to work. I did give her a Tramadol last night and this morning. It may have helped a little. It's hard to tell.

One interesting thing is, in the last few days, she seems to be having a lot of very loud yippy barky dreams. Wonder what that means.

Guest Winterwish

Oh that was good using the tramadol Aimee. Actually I'm heading out with Dreamer in about 10 minutes to get some more for him.

Aimee,funny you say that about yipping in her dreams. Dream has always been a dreamer,but last nite,when he did fall asleep,he was also making a lot of yippy sounds. I thought he must be very hungry and is barking for food.

Maybe that's the case for your Marzie-girl too. Maybe she's uncomfortable -for whatever the reason. I feel if the tram helps,best to go with it and after they're eating better,hopefully the reason for it can be figured out and it won't be such an upsetting diagnosis afterall. :hope

Maybe Dreamer and Marla are barking at each other in dreamland. :lol

Well I've given up on the "appetite stimulant" medicine as it appears to do nothing for her. Marla hasn't eaten any solid food in several days, and hasn't voluntarily eaten anything since Monday evening. I've been syringe-feeding her. I've found a fairly easy way to liquefy her regular kibble, so at least I can get her old "regular" diet back into her. I'm hoping that helps her poor upset bowels (the baby food and yogurt diet with the cipro was starting to take a toll). She really doesn't seem to mind the syringe-feeding, but she doesn't even try to lick the bowl anymore. :(

I've sort of become resigned to the fact Marla may not ever get better. She's been off her food for about six weeks now. I'm now focusing on just keeping her steady and comfortable for as long as possible.

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Geez Aimee - I'm just not accepting the possibility that Marla isn't going to get better. I wish there were a way to have her understand about her previous owner's passing. I know there are dogs that can languish away in grief, stories have been written about them throughout history - and maybe Chancey's passing stirred up her unresolved grief. If the weather isn't horrid, mom and I will stop by on Sunday afternoon, probably around 4 o'clock. I know you have a GPA event, so don't worry about not being there. I was just thinking Marla might see mom in her wheelchair and that might help her...don't ask me why I think that way. My Sadie Sue loves old ladies!

I'm home Friday night and most of the week-end if by any chance you think Tip and Marla would like to sniff in my yard with my crew. I've had quite a bit of dog company lately and I'm sure the smells are heavenly out back. I'm getting the straw bale this week-end too so will have fresh smells from that as well. Hope to hear things are better. :gh_face Carole and her crew