Would Appreciate Some Prayers

Guest Tenderhearts

Guest Tenderhearts
"Blocky" you say . . . . envision "built like brick outhouse" or "NFL linebacker" This is one sandbag of a dog!

Very true, but she can still pull off a double strand of pink pearls quite nicely, don't you think? :nod

proud.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had two non-greys who had cruciate tears and had surgical repairs done with good results. It has been a few years, but our vet charged about $700 for the surgery and the recovery time was about a month. The first week was the hardest. During the rest of the recovery time we had to keep the dog on leash to go out to prevent them from running until the repair had healed. When it did heal, there was no limp or problem in that area again. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Hugs to Ms. Skittles! :wub:

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Check out bulldogs.com disscussion boards. I know skittle isn't an english bully but ACL tears are really common in all the bully breads and I'm sure someone on there might be able to recomend a vet near you who could do a much more reasonable price.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest Winterwish

Skittles I hope your leg will be feeling better soon. :hope:hope And if anyone was made for a double strand of pink pearls,it's you sweetie. :wub:

Lucky was quite overweight after Cosmo died (Lucky used to take the uneaten gourmet food I'd offer Cos to try to keep weight on her), and so Lucky blew out her ACL about 3 months later (a complete tear). In Aug/Sept '04 it cost about $900 to redo Lucky's knee.

At the time, the vet told me that there are several ways to repair the ACL, and the choice was primarily based on what the vet was familiar with.

Since then, my neighbor's grand-dog had a partial tear and had it repaired before it totally let go. That dog had a shorter recovery time than Lucky (we had to leash walk Lucky for about 4 months, vs ~1m for the other dog).

$4-7,000 sounds like an awful lot of money. I'd ask what technique they want to use, and why it's so much. Unless the vet wants hazard pay for working on the Fruit Bat, I don't know why it would be so high. ;)

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Hope the fruitbat feels better soon.

Must say 4-7K sounds like a heck of a lot of money in the land of the $50 spay. :eek If you want to explore surgery I'd most certainly get a second (or third or fourth) opinion/estimate. Hope she feels better soon. McDs fries do have magical healing properties or so I'm told.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest GiJenn51

Devon that does sound like a lot of money for that surgery. I'd get another estimate.

I'm glad to hear that she'll be OK.

And the Fruitbat has impeccable style, notice please . . . . a single strand of pink pearls would have been overwhelmed totally--but a DOUBLE strand . . . . sartorial genius . . . . made all the difference in the world!

Feel better soon, honey, and help your mommy find a vet with fewer delusions of $$$ grandeur for your knee repair.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Fruitbat, you look stunning in your pink pearls! Good luck as your Mom finds the best option for your knee surgery.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Sending along hugs and smoochies and good knee thoughts for baby girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Haven't read the entire thread but did see the absurd cost for ACL repair. It should cost between $450 and $1500. The old surgery has been found by some vets to be better as repairing the new way can cause the other knee to go.

Can you find a greyhound vet in Wichita to do it? Tell them Skittle is an honorary grey :D Should be a lot cheaper since they probably do quite a few.

I will tell you this, not to worry you but to push for the surgery. When Sweet Pea's tumor popped up it was on an unrepaired ACL tear and the vet said that is common if you do not repair it.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Hm! A lot to consider, DeVon! I hope you can find a good, affordable-ish way to deal with this soon. Meanwhile, Skittle is always lovely, in our out of pearls! :wub:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

My very best wishes for a speedy recovery of your sweet girl!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Poor Fruitbat!

That fee sounds high to me too DeVon. Our angel Rosie le Mutt and anterior crusiate ligament repair for about $600. Our vet said expect the other knee to need the surgery as well within a year - and he was right. Both surgeries were tolerated well and healed fast. Rosie was a calm dog but turned into a rocket if she saw a squirrel.

I hope you find a less expensive solution for Ms Fruitbat. Miss Pudge le Mutt sends sniffs and licks.......

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Heal quickly sweet Skittles...

DeVon .. I've no personal experience with this but .... from some of the things other folks have written, even with the current cost of gas you could save $$ even if you drove to one of these other vets! And, since people are posting their personal experiences, you know these vets do a good job! Wanna make a road trip this summer??!!?

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Oh no! Poor little Skittle and you too Devon. Know that my prayers and white light are on the way special delivery with hugs too! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

For what it's worth, Brett's parents' westie completely tore her ACL at age 11. Their vet told them it would be 5 grand (which is absurd) to do surgery, or they could get her on some joint supplements and a therapy regimen.

She's leash walked for potty anyway so the therapy really wasn't any big deal. We put her on some glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combo that we bought at Target. Took about 3 months for her to be really super improved but she seemed to feel much better pretty soon after starting.

I should also mention she was on prednisone for a separate medical condition, so that may have helped as well but I'm not sure.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest KyGrey

DeVon, I am just now seeing this. I am sending prayers to the Fruitbat. So what is she doesn't have the greyhound body. She's a grey is I ever saw one. Hope she feels better soon and you can find a less expensive way to get her surgery done.