Would Appreciate Some Prayers

Guest Tenderhearts

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you this, not to worry you but to push for the surgery. When Sweet Pea's tumor popped up it was on an unrepaired ACL tear and the vet said that is common if you do not repair it.

Our first experience with an e-vet was the local vet hospital that did many different surgeries. Anyway, while we had Jake in their to fix his pad, another owner came in to pick up a refill on pain meds for their dog. From what I heard the dog tore it's ACL and they waited to do the surgery. After the surgery was finally done the poor dog developed cancer a year later.

Keep checking around for different prices. That price sounds like what you would pay at a special vet hospital. I hope you can get Skittle fixed up right away.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest TanyaM

Sending good healing thoughts and prayers for your Skittle girl.

To echo in agreement about the costly surgery: I will say that my brother has 2 dogs (mixed breeds) and both of them tore their ACLs in both knees over the course of the years - my brother always jokes that they ran out of knees. No way did he pay anything close to $4-7000 per knee. I can't remember what he paid but if he paid that amount? he would have been screaming to the high heavens and I would have remembered :lol I believe it was close to the $1,000 range.

I'm just coming across this thread today, DeVon, and sending gentle hugs :grouphug and prayers :hope Skittles' way.

Edited by jodyksam

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Oh dear, poor Skittle! Well first off, hugs to her! And truly, the pink pearls are just HER!

Anyway, our husky mix tore her ACL when she was 9. She was a good sized girl - here is some of the information I got from that experience. It is almost necessary for the larger dogs to have the surgery. Puppies and smaller dogs can often heal without surgery, because they just don't have the weight putting strain on it. It is likely that she developed a small tear in it some months prior to actaully ripping it - I'm pertty sure when, she was playing hard in our yard with a puppy. She completely blew it a few months later, playing with my brother in our yard. She was running circles, took a tight turn and went down screaming. If Skittle just has a tear now, the surgery is less complicated now then if she blows the whole thing later. Kasper had to be confined to her crate for apx. 4 weeks, then we started leash walking in the yard, and a few weeks later, short leash walks, gradually working up to her regular routine.

That quote seems really, really high - Kasper's surgery was less than $2,000 and it was a significant tear.

Good luck, Devon - I guess I would recommend the surgery to repair the tear, so it doesn't progress.

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest meandmygreys
And the Fruitbat has impeccable style, notice please . . . . a single strand of pink pearls would have been overwhelmed totally--but a DOUBLE strand . . . . sartorial genius . . . . made all the difference in the world!

Feel better soon, honey, and help your mommy find a vet with fewer delusions of $$$ grandeur for your knee repair.

The 4-7 grand does sound a bit much !!...I keep thinking of the Jeff Foxworthy skit where he brings his car to the mechanic and the mechanic says " Call my wife and tell her to pack her bags, we're going to Hawaii !! "

Just seeing this and hope all is going well for Skittles.