Would Appreciate Some Prayers

Guest Tenderhearts

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Skittle,

It's Sweet Pea here and I hope you get to feeling better. From one bully to another get well soon.

Love Sweet Pea

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

I hope the fruitbat is feeling better soon. I'll check for an update later.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

:goodluck

Begging for fries is a good sign, I think.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Tenderhearts

First of all, I have to brag on how good she was at the vet's. You have to understand this is a dog who comes completely unglued outside of her home environment.

Because she has the potential to be a fear biter under extreme circumstances, I got her under the front legs and the vet on her back legs to get her on the table. She actually ended up relaxing enough we were able to roll her over on each side while he manipulated her hips/knees.

She has a partial tear of the cruciate which explains the intermittent limping I've seen off and on recently. Most days it's her walk that's just a bit 'off' on the right side if that makes any sense.

I've been giving her Ascriptin and this is what I feel so bad about. She was 80 pounds two years ago when I took her in, too heavy for her frame, which the vet noticed, so I started cutting back on feed and more exercise. She had lost a lot more weight than I thought, she is such a blocky muscled dog anyway (just ask Patsy).

She's down to 66 pounds, so I was giving her too much Ascriptin, which likely caused an upset belly and thus no eating this morning.

Her temperature was on the high side of normal, 102.6, but he wasn't concerned since she was so nervous at the clinic.

Surgery will run anywhere from 4-7 grand, depending on where I get it done. My vet said he would be comfortable doing it on a dog her size.

He suggested I go ahead and start her on the GlycoFlex for now. Oh, and try to keep her from playing the great white locomotive at full speed in the back yard :blink:

So that's where we are at right now. I thank you ALL so much for the prayers, and Skittle thanks you too!

Guest greytexplorer

OK. I'm not uptospeed with dog physiology

I have torn ACLs in both my knees. Usually there is an occasional day of mild pain, and slight swelling. Dr says I don't need ACL surgery because I'm not playing competitive tennis/training for a trizathlon/etc. And I'm 50.

Does a greyhound need to have this surgery?

Guest WarmheartedPups

My lab had the same problem....The vet did a TPLO....its a permanent fix...and expensive and the rehab is grueling....only because the dog CANNOT walk off leash or go up or down stairs, etc. for six months. The first few weeks the dog was pretty much confined to an x pen. Maybe with a lab it was harder ...greys being used to crating and all. It was worth it.

They can do a cheaper surgery using wires to hold everything together, but I was told by the U of M that with larger dogs, the TPLO ( trans patellar lateral osteotomy ?) takes more pounding etc than using wires. The TPLO puts in a permanent plate and screws.

My dog did really well after the surgery....except her blew out his other knee on the last day of rehab from the first surgery!! :eek

Good luck!

I am glad Miss Skittle Diddle Knick Knack's upset tummy will feel better soon. $4000 - $7000 for surgery to repair her cruciate? Ouch!!!!! Any chance there are other more reasonably priced options? Accupunture, hydrotherapy, anything?

Hugs and scritches for your fruitbat. A triple scoop chocolate ice cream cone with your grandkids for you.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest Tenderhearts
OK. I'm not uptospeed with dog physiology

I have torn ACLs in both my knees. Usually there is an occasional day of mild pain, and slight swelling. Dr says I don't need ACL surgery because I'm not playing competitive tennis/training for a trizathlon/etc. And I'm 50.

Does a greyhound need to have this surgery?

I guess I should clarify that the dog I am speaking of is a non-grey, but she is a large dog.

I am glad Miss Skittle Diddle Knick Knack's upset tummy will feel better soon. $4000 - $7000 for surgery to repair her cruciate? Ouch!!!!! Any chance there are other more reasonably priced options? Accupunture, hydrotherapy, anything?

I signed up on a cruciate maintenance list earlier today and am open to any suggestions. I also have some option where I can apply for financial assistance on the surgery as a last resort, but if there is any way to manage/treat this without surgery, I'll do it.

I also post on a lab forum, and I know there are some folks there experienced with cruciate tears and will see what they suggest.

She's still not wanting to eat much, picked at her kibble, so I gave her a pepcid and some chicken broth. She's snoring in her crate right now :sleepy

Guest Lori

Hmph. Ruby got her ACL replaced last summer (the vet said she ripped it but good), it was 'only' $1100. Wonder why it would be so much more for Skittle?

Prayers for your sweet marshmallow girl!!!!

Sending lots of hugs to Skittles. :bighug :bighug Could they try wrapping the leg and give the ACL a chance to heal? I have seen it done before. Good luck

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Oh my, what a relief!

Sure hope you can find less expensive alterntives--that's mind-bending!!

"Blocky" you say . . . . envision "built like brick outhouse" or "NFL linebacker" This is one sandbag of a dog!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota