Winslow's Diary

Hello Winslow - this is Darcy

My brother Tetley is shedding. His fur is coming out in tufts. I think he looks ridiculous.

My brother Striker is shedding too. He looks like nobody cares for him because he has glossy patches of fur and then falling out patches of fur.

Mother says she could knit a new dog from both of my brothers. (I hope she doesn't).

How can your Mother say you are lazy when you swim 21 laps?? I'd not swim 21 inches. It's bad enough when they make me go for a walk.

Here is a picture of me taken just now. I am laying in my dinner bowl.

Love, Darcy

xxx

darcy290509a.jpg

PS Talking of hair - I am (quite obviously) having a bad hair day. My hair looks like it has exploded.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 18, 2009

Good Evening, Diane,

It's been a rough couple of days here at the house of Winslow. About 2 weeks ago, Winslow got a bump on his toe. At first I thought it may be a bee sting or a thorn. It didn't hurt him and he wasn't limping, so I just watched it for a few days. It was about the size of a pea. I kept measuring it and it didn't grow. Craig and I decided that we would take him to the vet because it wasn't changing at all.

Tuesday evening, we came home and there was blood splattered all over the living room.. the floor, sofa, bed... The bump had ruptured and was bleeding. I got an appointment yesterday, not with the oncologist (too busy) but the regular vet at the practice. She's very good. She did needle aspirations and made slides. She consulted with our oncologist and we got an appointment with him. He looked at the slides and called me last night. He said that he saw abnormal cells, but didn't know if they were from inflamation or possibly cancer of some kind.

Obviously I've been freaking out.. just the mention of cancer does that to me.

Meanwhile, the vet made the cut in this thing larger. Because of his tripod status, I didn't want it bandaged. This morning, I could see into it with a flashlight and magnifying glass. It was bleeding when he went for walks and stopped when he was resting. For the first time, he wanted to lick it.

I spent the day putting antibiotic cream on it, preventing Winslow from licking it, and monitoring it. By this evening, it was no longer bleeding on walks, Winslow decided not to lick it and the shape changed from round like a pea, to sort of like a squashed pea, but it's still the same size and still causing no pain. We went out for awhile this evening and when we came home, it was still not bleeding.

Winslow is not sick, has no symptoms of anything, isn't limping and the "thing" doesn't hurt. He wants to know why I didn't take him swimming today.

We go early Friday morning to get the results from the pathologist and see what we need to do about it. We will be moving to the basement next week because regardless, this has to be removed. Winslow has done two legs before and fortunately this is the same foot as the two legged episode a couple of years ago. But, he can't do stairs on two legs.

I'll keep you posted about the progress of this.

Thanks for all your help. If not for you and Marilyn, I would have gone totally off the rails by now.

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Well, day-um! Winslow, you're in on the candle until this gets figured out. Sorry about your swimming, sometimes mommies have to do things we don't understand.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Awh, Winslow. :( I'm sure the bump is nothing and soon it will be removed and you will be feeling all better in no time. :nod

In the meantime, make sure to pretend like it hurts so your mom and dad give you extra treats and stuffies. I know they're pretty strict over there and you probably haven't had any in a while. This is a great opportunities to get some. You didn't hear that from me though. :mum

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Glynis, I was just thinking about you and Winslow! Actually thinking that we hadn't heard anything from you for a while---and I thought I should touch base just to see how you're doing. I think about you both so much, and it just makes me feel that things are okay in the world if I know Winslow is out there doing what needs to be done, and you are supporting him all the way.

Of course, none of us wants to hear of ANY lumps or bumps on this precious boy. We'll certainly be thinking of him, and waiting for some positive updates.

Oh, yeah, they're pretty strict over there. Right. :lol

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

The bump is nothing. So I say and so it shall be :nod

Scritches to the spoiled brat. He's obviously just growing random nothing lumps for attention now, the bugger.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Go away (and be nothing) ridiculous lump.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

It's a spindle cell something cancer. Winslow will go to the vet tomorrow for preop blood work and chest xrays. A plan will be formulated at that time.

Please remember Winslow, Craig & Glynis in your prayers that this all works out. Hopefully it will be toe be gone and he will be fine!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Well, drat. Hope Winslow has an easy surgery and recovery and NO recurrence!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

All good thoughts coming from here :grouphug

Ugh. Good news on those is that removal with clean margins is fairly curative. They don't aggressively spread like OSA. Sending tons of good thoughts to Glynis, Craig and Winslow.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

June 19, 2009

Lung xrays look clear :yay They will be read by a radiologist. Blood taken. Winslow will be driving to New Hampshire on Tuesday for Wednesday tumor removal by his surgeon, Dr. Massat. Because the tumor is fairly high on the digit, his oncologist doubts the toe will be removed. Most likely Winslow will have radiation to clean up anything nasty left, since margins are quite high for that area of the body (i.e., hard to get the margins on a toe/foot).

Winslow loves road trips. I hope he still does after this is over :rolleyes:

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest EmbersDad

hey winslow, stop by chez tomas here in joisey if you want. im glad it looks like everything will be ok. ember told me it would be :-)

Edited by EmbersDad

Well that all sounds as GOOD as it possibly can :D

May I breathe properly yet? :rolleyes:

Continued big prayers for this brave boy and his mom and dad.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

. . . . breathe in . . . . breathe out . . . . repeat as necessary. Sounds good. Will you be taking his personal floor fan along with you?

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

June 19, 2009

Hi Diane,

Well, Winslow is booked into a brand new Hampton Inn in New Hampshire.. Oddly he raced there, at Seabrook.

Says he prefers the Hampton Inn.

He plans to spend his recovery time (We are staying a few days) luxuriating by the pool. He wanted to Wow all the ladies with his swimming skills, but since he can't go in the water, he will just be showing off his great bod. He's also been asking about how many pillows and what kind of sheets will be on his king size bed. Asked me if I checked the thread count. Wants me to call them again to find out.

Says he wants to ride in the "ding ding box" so he hopes we are on the top floor (Winslow LOVES elevators). We are on the 1st floor but I promised him some rides anyway.

We will be packing his beloved travel fan. I don't get 2 changes of clothes... we need fan, dog food extra dog bed, bowls and all of Winslow's other stuff. I'll be lucky if I can take a spare tire after he's done packing.

He's going to spend this weekend socializing with (and shedding on) friends and just having himself some good fun.

We thank everyone for their care and concern! We are believing that this is just another chapter in Winslow's Diary and there will be many more to come. His vets are superb, Dr. Couto has consulted with me, you and Marilyn have kept me sane.

Winslow has special angels Ember and Queen Winnie watching over him and Darcy sending vibes of love from her big, beautiful eyebrow, and everyone on GT who laughs with us.

I'll be in touch,

Glynis

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits