Winslow's Diary

great news!!!! :yay :yay :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're long overdue for a Winslow update. How is the boy doing?!!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

November 2, 2009

Hi Diane,

You asked me how Winslow is doing. Well, I went away for 10 days and when I got home, things were really rough. It's no secret that Winslow is spoiled, but while I was gone, he took "spoiled" to a whole new level.

First, the midnight walks. The "Blue Flame", protector of the neighborhood has decided that he needs to patrol twice during the night. No potty, just walk around the neighborhood in the cold. Sometimes at 1 and 5, sometimes at 2 and 4. It's cold at night now, so he loves it. When we get home, he runs in and gets in bed with whoever didn't go out, stretches out so the "walker" has to sleep on the sofa.

He has also decided that he should have treats during the night. So, he gets up, goes to the door, whines like he really has to go out. One of us gets up, puts on boots, gathers flashlight and poopbags. Then he dashes into the kitchen and throws himself down on his "food bed". GRRRR! I guess Craig has been giving in to this because it happens every night. So, give him a little banana (he knows where we keep them). Remember this is a dog that eats 4 times a day. He isn't hungry. He wants a snack.

Later he will stomp his foot (another new trick. Stomping his HIND foot) and stand by the bananas for more. Now, lets talk about the foot stomping. Since his amputation, we all sleep on a mattress on the dining room floor. He gets up and manages to hop up and come down really loudly on the floor with that hind foot. That goes right through the mattress and there is no way anyone could sleep through it. Not only that, he gets out of bed and stands over our heads, looking down.. like nose to nose. He whines, breathes out that canned dogfood breath, and his nose DRIPS. What a way to wake up.

He's taken to head butting me from the rear to get what he wants. Yesterday, I wasn't expecting it and he really rammed me. I nearly fell. Since he's now afraid that he won't get his dinner on time (daylight savings time) he starts stomping, pacing and ramming at 4:pm. Even though the clocks were set back an hour, he still starts the breakfast stomp and drip at 6:30.

He's smart. I can't even get angry about it because he is so funny. So, we laugh about it and do what he tells us to do. During the day,while we are working, Winslow is upside down, stretched out amongst his pillows. When you ask him if he wants lunch, he wanders in. Ask if he wants to go outside, he's too tired. Later, he says, you know 2:am.

I've attached some photos of him just after he rammed Craig. Then, telling Craig how to fix the meal. Oh yea, he wants to be sure it's just right.

When he is sleeping between walks and snacks, he has taken to "spooning" with Craig. Winslow is the "spooner". He throws his front and hind leg over Craig and sleeps like that. I'm going to try to get a photo of that for you. It's very funny.

So, looks like Winslow has successfully taught his old dogs some new tricks. You know he's thinking, "I wonder what I can make them do next?"

Don't be surprised if I pass an agility test or an obedience test.

Geez.

He'll be on the phone to Meredith telling her that I won't drive him to Dairy Queen or something.

On a more serious note... Winslow's health is good. He's obviously happy (wouldn't you be?) still swimming every week. (I am waiting for him to make me swim while he holds the rope.)

He has already made plans for his birthday party and wants me to invite everyone now... It's Feb 13. 7:00 ish, our house. Mark your calendar.

(10 + 3).

I better go, his Highness is waiting for me to come downstairs and watch tv with him. I watch, he sleeps.

Glynis

2009_1102winslow0020.jpg

2009_1102winslow0021.jpg

2009_1102winslow0022.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

OK Winslow!

I won a painting by Winslow in the poop bag contest. It arrived yesterday! It's bright and vibrant, just like Winslow seems to be :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

It just gets better and better!!! Glad Winslow is still healthy!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Winslow is out there kicking butt and taking names---all is right with the world!

Barring a blizzard of epic proportions, we plan to be there to help celebrate 10+3. I've already bought him a present. It's BIG!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest eaglflyt

This is such great news!!! However, I hope the humans in the house manage some sleep and bananas of their own on occasion. ; )

Keep up the good work Winslow :D

Darcy sends a high three :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• 1 month later...

December 5, 2009

Good Evening Diane,

Today was our first snow here in Virginia. As expected, Winslow took us out for his "I'm from New Hampshire" romp in the snow.

Not bad for someone who's cruising toward 10 years old!

He really does think he's still a puppy.

Fine with me as long as he doesn't start eating shoes or worse.

Says he's not getting old, period. I agree. Here's his holiday greeting card:

Birthday party Feb. 13... He's inviting anyone who is adult, human and wants to show up. Says to send him an email. He's using my email these days. Very easy to get on his guest list. No secret service, no dress code, crashers welcome. (If they did things his way, the white house would have a much easier time of it and nobody would get fired. Winslow says they should hire him to work the gate.)

G.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• 1 month later...

January 18, 2010

Hi Diane,

Well, here's the latest on Winslow. He is now 3 years, 15 days post amp and behaving like a puppy! Still swimming every week and running the show. There are a few changes and I guess they come with age.

Winslow has become more bullheaded than ever. Recently he decided that he just didn't want to ride in the car anymore. His rides have always been fun. Not just to the vet, but other places, too. I didn't have a wreck or slam on the brakes or do anything to make him fearful.. He just decided that he doesn't want to ride.

Since the swimming pool is 50 miles from our house, I don't know what he was thinking! He loves to swim.

We started putting treats in the car. Ok, that worked a little, but there were still those times he just wouldn't go.

So, we started getting him out for rides and the last place we went was for a little ice cream. Since Winslow gets the big D very easily, it's just a little ice cream. I have a special dish for his ice cream. Now, problem solved. I show him the dish and he can't get to the car fast enough! After we go anywhere, the last stop is ice cream.

UNFORTUNATELY, the turn for ice cream is on the way TO the pool.. Every week, when we get to that turn, he goes nuts. We only get ice cream on the way HOME. So, for a full 5 minutes, there is nothing but whining, crying, huffing and pouting. Gets pretty loud. BUT, the car issue is solved.

The other thing is that Winslow has decided that he likes COFFEE. Any coffee. He wants it. A few weeks ago I was sitting in my regular chair, drinking my regular coffee, talking to Craig when Winslow came over to me. I started to pet him, not really paying attention. Next there was a splash, I was wearing coffee and Winslow had that big nose way down in my coffee cup. Ok, I know that's not good, but it was funny. So, I thought it was the cream. Next day, I had black coffee. SAME THING. Now, when we make the coffee, he smells it and comes running. We have made coffee every day since we got Winslow over 5 years ago and now the sudden interest??

I asked the vet who said: Give him decaf. A teaspoon of coffee won't hurt him but regular coffee is bad for his heart. As far as a physical reason he would want coffee? No. So, where does that leave me? I buy a small jar of decaf, make it weak, give him a teaspoon with cream (very, very little coffee). He's fine with that. Tell me, am I supposed to get him donuts too???

Winslow thanks you for the marionette. Craig really liked it. So did Winslow... a little too much. Sorry to inform you of puppet's demise.

Fun while it lasted.

WINSLOW IS HAVING HIS BIG BIRTHDAY PARTY! All are invited (except kids and pets.)

Saturday, Feb. 13

7:00 (Dessert, beverages and biscuits for the pups who have to stay home.)

Our house, here in Northern VA.

Please let everyone know that they can email me for info!

10 + 3.

I know you are coming, so we will see you then!

This is big news, we are really happy to be celebrating once again!

That's about it from here!

Glynis

Wincoffee.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Winslow, you're a stinker! :lol :lol

glad to hear you're doing well :D :D :D :D Wish I was closer so I could attend your Birfday party! :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 2 weeks later...

February 3, 2010

Hi Diane,

Winslow's birthday cake, biscuits and heart cakes arrived today. NOTHING was broken.

Those heart cakes are really cute. They should appease all dogs who are not invited to Winslow's party.

A very nice gift. Thanks for making them.

When the boxes arrived, of course Winslow was there waiting. I gave him a biscuit right away. He watched me so carefully as I put everything in the freezer. When he figured that he couldn't get away with stealing the box and running away with it, he attacked me for the empty paper bags. I swear, I do feed this dog. He gets treats every day. He is not starving. He just likes to open packages.

The party preparations are moving right along. Still some room on the floor for anyone who wants to come and stay over. Coffee and bagels in the morning. If you have friends coming, just tell them to email me so I can give them directions.

We look forward to seeing you. Winslow, too. He know's its time for his party. We are all getting excited. It's the event of the neighborhood and a good thing to do in the winter.

Oh, yea,

Here's the video :

Glynis

I'll have cake!

cake.jpg

Give me the crumbs!

partybag.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Winslowsmom

Winslow wants that duck in you picture. He has a couple of pheasants which are some of his favorites. When he went through the "amputate the toys" phase, he tore off their legs.

Thank you for all your kind wishes

Glynis and

:paw:paw

:paw

Guest eaglflyt

If I can find another duck at the pet store, I'll get it for Winslow and contact you for mailing info! Ady Bea will be so excited to send a present to Winslow!!! :colgate:inlove