Dandi - Good Update 1/3/2012

Big Bad Galgo Dandi is in hospital tonight, being treated for dehydration and critically low albumin. He may well have protein losing enteropathy.

Long story short, he's had progressively worsening diarrhea - it used to be episodic but has become chronic over the past month or two. Last night he looked awful to me -- lethargic, depressed, miserable. No problem with eating, but he's been having intractable diarrhea -- sometimes in the kitchen -- and combined with voluminous water intake, it's become obvious there are problems. (Because I've been out of work since June, I was hoping he'd stay stable until I was working again and could afford a comprehensive workup -- I'm still waiting to start my new job, but Dandi couldn't wait any longer.)

He's receiving IV fluids and Hetastarch. He was quite dehydrated. His bowels appear edematous on xray but no masses were seen. His lipase is off the charts (not a new finding -- it was the same last year). His weight has been stable for the past 3-4 months. A year ago, he was becoming quite overweight (91 lbs) so I cut his food back, got him walking, and he dropped 10 lbs in about 6 months. He did drop about another 2-3 lbs and has remained at around 78-79 since then.

We'll see how he is in the a.m. and decide how to proceed. I'm ready to take him down to my regular internal med vet tomorrow if he needs it.

Dandi is my tough cookie with other dogs, but a mama's boy with me. He came from Spain with a lot of baggage, but I came from the Bronx with a lot of baggage too, so we really understand each other. He's really a love, so please tuck him into your heart tonight.

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw jeez. Lots of prayers for your boy, and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good thoughts for your Dandi. I hope he will feel better soon.

I know, coming from the Bronx is like arriving from Spain. You silly head.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Jordan, I'm so sorry! How old is Dandi? We went through this with Ducky at age 12. It is an awful roller coaster ride. Sending positive wishes to you & your pack.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Jordan! :grouphug :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Tucked!!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Your sweet boy deserves lots of good thoughts, so we're sending them to you both.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thanks so much,everyone!

Jennifer, I'm not sure how old Dandi is (or any of the galgos). He was estimated to be 5 when he came in 2006, so perhaps he's around 10 now. I'd add a couple of years onto that given his life before he was rescued. I have a photo of him in a cage, taken just before he was rescued, and whenever we were having a rough "Dandi Day" and I was tempted to fly him back to Barcelona, I'd pull out that photo and remind myself why he has "issues". And I'd cancel the plane ticket. ;)

Just had a call from Fiona, my vet - she thinks he's perked up considerably on the IV fluids/hetastarch.We'll connect again in the early morning and figure out the game plan. My research points to his needing endoscopy/bx to confirm dx and get him onto appropriate treatment. I think Fiona is hoping to stabilize him conservatively and keep his albumin up until I'm working and can afford the mega-workup. (I *really* hope to be credentialed to start work next week.)

On a cheerier note, here's my big maroon a few years back:

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Prayers that the fluids continue to work their magic for Dandi!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending good thoughts for you and Dandi! :hope What have you tried so far for the diarrhea? While the endoscopy/biospy to confirm the diagnosis is obviously the ideal way to go, if it's not looking like that will happen in the near future, there's also the option of starting treatment for suspected IBD/PLE. If you haven't already, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start him on a limited antigen diet and metronidazole (or tylosin). Adding pred is the one step that I really try to avoid until we can confirm the diagnosis since it can interfere with testing. In cases where the owner has no plans to pursue further diagnostics, if all the signs point to IBD, I'll go ahead and start the pred too.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I hope he is feeling even better today! Paws crossed here for Dandi and that your credentialing goes smoothly and quickly!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Poor handsome Dandi, and poor worried mom too! I hope Dandi continues to improve.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Good thoughts for Dandi. I hope he gets better soon and will be home with you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Good thoughts from me as well. That's scary stuff. It's even more stressful when money has to make some of the decisions. (And money always seems to have it's say so at some point for most of us.) To your maroon from my gang of ultra maroons, we send well wishes.