Three cheers for the Happy Hoodie

Okay, yes, he's still in the bathroom with his emotional support system sister, but he's not trembling and panting and panicking for a change. I think this thing was worth it! So far, I'm seeing more improvement than I have with Xanax, plusalso he looks very cute. https://a.co/d/7NHKrhh (size L).

53023929350_c552305c58_z.jpg

53023707459_8dab6b0ce8_z.jpg

Practice run the other night:

53022959387_8aa669850b_z.jpg

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Aww, precious! I'll have to recommend that for my friend with the nervous beagle. And oh, look, Jimbo Scotty in another nervous boy...

The Girl With The Dogs on YouTube uses that for her grooming clients.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Just now, palmettobug said:

And oh, look, Jimbo Scotty in another nervous boy...

Yep, you warned me when he first arrived that he might have "noise issues" based on his pedigree, and boy, were you right.... :lol 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

We went through way too much Xanax with Petunia and Kate. Petunia wouldn't have tolerated the hoodie but Kate would have been okay with it. I think we tried everything that we knew to try but I never saw this one before. Glad it's working for him. This and New Year's Eve are the worst nights of the year. For lots of reasons, but especially this one. 

Hang in there, Doolin!  Great job, Willa! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:yay This is great! Something that works!

Plusalso :beatheart

53023707459_8dab6b0ce8_z.jpg

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Rachel, did you also use the squishy balls in the ears?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

20 minutes ago, macoduck said:

Nothing in the ears—I had no idea there was such a thing! 

Interesting! How does it work? Compression? Or muffling sound? I guess it doesn't matter as long as the sweet guy gets some relief.

Did Willa go by him of her own accord? Or was she lured in with that big fluffy rug? 

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

14 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Interesting! How does it work? Compression? Or muffling sound? I guess it doesn't matter as long as the sweet guy gets some relief.

Did Willa go by him of her own accord? Or was she lured in with that big fluffy rug? 

Both compression and sound muffling, as long as you fold their ears down under it. It wasn't quite as effective for thunder, presumably because he can feel the atmospheric changes too, but it worked a treat for the fireworks.

Willa is such a good sister. When he's distressed, she always wants to be near him and whines if she can't get to him, so we always move a bed for her next to him. Funny story about the big fluffy rug: it's actually a bed I got accidentally from Paw.com. I'd ordered a thicker orthopedic one, but they let me keep this one too rather than dealing with a return of something so massive. $150 value—score! The faux fur cover and waterproof liner are washable and both dogs prefer it to the bed I actually ordered, which lives on the porch. :lol  

Edited by ramonaghan

24 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Willa is such a good sister. When he's distressed, she always wants to be near him and whines if she can't get to him, so we always move a bed for her next to him. 

That is the sweetest thing ever! :wub:

That fluffy bed is awesome! What a great accident that you got it.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Cutest little hoodster ever, AND it helps.  Good job.

Milo has been bombproof his whole life but between becoming more sensitive in his old age and the next door neighbors setting off fireworks for the first time, so that the sounds were much closer, he was a shaking, nose-dripping, miserable houndie.  It felt like karma when a sudden hard rain shower put the kabosh on the fireworks.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Just now, EllenEveBaz said:

Cutest little hoodster ever, AND it helps.  Good job.

Milo has been bombproof his whole life but between becoming more sensitive in his old age and the next door neighbors setting off fireworks for the first time, so that the sounds were much closer, he was a shaking, nose-dripping, miserable houndie.  It felt like karma when a sudden hard rain shower put the kabosh on the fireworks.  

Aww, poor Milo; I'm glad it rained too. I figured for $12 the hoodie was worth a shot. An Ace bandage would probably work too.

I try to accept fireworks for one night a year since I remember them fondly from childhood, but it's infuriating after 10pm and when it starts 3 days before and goes 3 days past the actual holiday! Not to mention they're illegal here....

2 minutes ago, Duke said:

Is this for fireworks and or thunder?  What is your honest opinion? I will try anything!!

It worked very well for fireworks and to me is worth the $12 for that alone. It's not as effective for bad thunder phobia, but that could also be a timing thing. We had a pop-up storm yesterday and Doolin was a trembling mess as usual. This and CBD oil helped take the edge off and eventually he conked out, but I want to try the hood again when I know a storm is coming and can put it on him preventatively. It doesn't seem to bother him to have it on, but Willa isn't a fan. Fortunately, her storm phobia is pretty mild.

P.S. Here's the CBD oil we like: https://www.rrmeds.com/products/pet-tincture

Nice find, and inexpensive compared with almost all other approaches! I wonder if this would work for Logan on walks? He is fine in the house, on the 4th he was flat out sleeping in the middle of the living room as the city fire works were blasting off like a war zone. But on a walk, one teeny, tiny pop way out in the distance, and he's turning around to head for safety. Even motorcycles and muscle cars scare him nowadays.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

31 minutes ago, rsieg said:

Nice find, and inexpensive compared with almost all other approaches! I wonder if this would work for Logan on walks? He is fine in the house, on the 4th he was flat out sleeping in the middle of the living room as the city fire works were blasting off like a war zone. But on a walk, one teeny, tiny pop way out in the distance, and he's turning around to head for safety. Even motorcycles and muscle cars scare him nowadays.

Ugh, we had a muscle car start up behind us this morning and everyone jumped! I think the hoodie's worth a shot if you don't mind the weird looks you'll get. :lol 

On 7/5/2023 at 7:56 AM, macoduck said:

Late to this thread, but...

Many, many horses are sensitive to noises  - most usually when their at shows - and many, many owners/riders use 'ear stuffies' with great success.

They come in a couple different styles...soft and fluffy like an old fashioned wool pom-pom

or a firm foam construction  https://www.doversaddlery.com/horse-ear-plugs/c/3805/

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

1 hour ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Late to this thread, but...

Many, many horses are sensitive to noises  - most usually when their at shows - and many, many owners/riders use 'ear stuffies' with great success.

They come in a couple different styles...soft and fluffy like an old fashioned wool pom-pom

or a firm foam construction  https://www.doversaddlery.com/horse-ear-plugs/c/3805/

I had no idea! Thanks for sharing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Rachel, I want to thank you for sharing Doolin's experience--I recommended it to my friend with the nervous beagle and told her of your success. Her female beagle has been thunder-phobic from day one, she has tried multiple things with no long term results or with awful side effects. She is seeing a marked improvement w/the Happy Hoodie! So, fingers x'd this is the solution they've been looking for!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

1 hour ago, palmettobug said:

Rachel, I want to thank you for sharing Doolin's experience--I recommended it to my friend with the nervous beagle and told her of your success. Her female beagle has been thunder-phobic from day one, she has tried multiple things with no long term results or with awful side effects. She is seeing a marked improvement w/the Happy Hoodie! So, fingers x'd this is the solution they've been looking for!

That's great to hear—I'm glad it's helping!

• 5 months later...

Bumping, because I want to know if there is continued success??:goodluck

4 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

Yep, I've been very pleased with it for Doolin (Willa is not as anxious and prefers nekkid ears), though for storms it's all about getting the timing right, of course. I know Jan @FiveRoooooers has also had success with her homemade version (vet wrap, I believe) for Punkin's noise sensitivity.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

9 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Yep, I've been very pleased with it for Doolin (Willa is not as anxious and prefers nekkid ears), though for storms it's all about getting the timing right, of course. I know Jan @FiveRoooooers has also had success with her homemade version (vet wrap, I believe) for Punkin's noise sensitivity.

Thanks again for suggesting this and the R&R. Hunting season was horrible for Punkin and she's still wary about going for walks after 2:00pm. Even loud hammering or a  truck door slam can worry her now. I used a hooman headband over which went a healthy amount of vetrap and it def helped. The R&R has also been helpful.

• Like 1

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Punkin’s wrap

IMG-3118.jpg

• Like 2