Tapioca Pudding and other meal incentives

It's not a vehicle for meds that I'd ever thought of with any of the previous campers. But a spoonful of Tapioca Pudding on top of some kibble and Punkin gobbles up her pills like it's nobody's business. The groceries here don't always carry it and on those occasions I make it from scratch which allows for using less sugar and it turns out quite well. I just wanted to put this out there for those looking for another possible option to dispense pills to picky hounds.  

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Do you stick it in the pudding itself?  Or hide it under?  (Asking for a friend.)

Wondering if Punkin would like just egg custard, too.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

4 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Do you stick it in the pudding itself?  Or hide it under?  (Asking for a friend.)

Wondering if Punkin would like just egg custard, too.  

I just drop the pill/s into the pud of pudding and cover it up just a bit.

Egg custard might be too smooth to try to disguise a pill :dunno but Punkin would certainly enjoy it as a topper, thanks!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We sometimes use plain oatmeal in bland diet meals.  The dogs love it!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...

Tapioca pudding and today's discovery, part-skim ricotta cheese. Sigh.

• 6 months later...

Bumping this to add some new discoveries for when Miss Picky Pants isn't in the mood to eat, or when she is but nothing seems quite right:

Nutritional yeast. Like shaky cheese but isn't. She loves it, go figure.

Both of these stews have been great toppers and also pill hiders, and they freeze/defrost really well: 

Boil lean ground beef, add zucchini shredded on the second smallest hole of a box grater, and some canned pumpkin.

Boil chicken breast, add shredded zucchini, and when the chicken cools chop it as fine as possible. Add some cottage cheese. 

There have been a few mornings when all she wanted was sardines packed in water, which makes no sense to me :rolleyes:

• FiveRoooooers changed the title to Tapioca Pudding and other meal incentives

Petunia and Rocket were big fans of cottage cheese. If either of them turned down cottage cheese we knew it was tine to go to the vet. 

Rocket would also take meds in squirty cheese (yes - the kind that comes in a can.) Even better if you made him a cheese sandwich using squirty cheese on a Kings Hawaiian Roll. (KNOT that he was spoiled) :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 11:48 PM, FiveRoooooers said:

Tapioca pudding and today's discovery, part-skim ricotta cheese. Sigh.

The ricotta works for us as well. But liver pâté is what gets him crazy for the pills :)

But I have to say the last pill (Metacam) we had, they said it was honey taste and my dog just ate them as if it was his kibble! 

I never thought I'd need the ideas in this thread for Nate, my dependable eager-eater chow hound.  But he's on strike and I'm now here gathering ammo for the food fight. :lol: 

What's working right now for him is "peanut butter sauce" on kibble.  That's a big dollop of peanut butter and water mixed.  Off the the grocery today with the idea from this thread on my list.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

6 minutes ago, LBass said:

I never thought I'd need the ideas in this thread for Nate, my dependable eager-eater chow hound.  But he's on strike and I'm now here gathering ammo for the food fight. :lol: 

What's working right now for him is "peanut butter sauce" on kibble.  That's a big dollop of peanut butter and water mixed.  Off the the grocery today with the idea from this thread on my list.

Aww Nate, wot's going on? This is from Seamie's List :heart :brokenheart that may be helpful 

Noms I might enjoy today. But KNOT tomorrow. But perhaps again another time (pick a day …) Compiled by: A senior hound

Kibble: pulverized; wet with chicken broth or water

Chicken: ground; breast or thigh nuked and cut into pieces; rotisserie

Turkey: ditto

Beef: ground; cheezberger plane

Sardine Saturday

Peanut butter: plane or on anything!

Scrambled eggs; plane or add cheese (cottage; cheddar, American, spray, shakey)

Scrambled eggs with ground turkey or chicken (add cheese?)

Pasta, any shape

Egg noodles, plane or with: butter, peanut butter, ground chicken, turkey, or beef

Waffles, with butter; peanut butter; syrup (small amount)

Pancakes: ditto

Oatmeal: ditto T

EXAS Toast, with butter or peanut butter

Ensure (vanilla or strawberry)

Vanilla ice cream or yogurt

Applesauce

Liverwurst, sparingly

Hot dogs, chicken, turkey, beef; boiled; sliced small & nuked til crisp; use as meal/topper.

Shakey cheese - Any cheese! Nutritional Yeast.

Assorted canned noms: Merrick’s Grandma’s ChickenPotPie, 95% Tripe, any flavor; Purina One chicken; whatever flavors they’ll eat: Alpo or Pedigree Natural Balance (or other); Canned puppy food to keep weight on old bones

Crockpot Stew: water, broccoli, canned (real) pumpkin, white rice, chicken breast, water

Lemon Loaf

Peanut Better Biscuits

Cereal: Chex Mix, Cheerios, Kellogg’s Corn Pops, Apple Jacks

Bananas, Apples Green Beans Zucchini

Sweet potato: nuked or baked; plane or with butter Instant potatoes

Vanilla Oreos

White bread, with seedless strawberry jam (PB&J!)

Quinoa, with or without butter and/or shredded or shaky cheese

Your LEFTOVERS!!

1 hour ago, Greysfriend said:

The ricotta works for us as well. But liver pâté is what gets him crazy for the pills :)

But I have to say the last pill (Metacam) we had, they said it was honey taste and my dog just ate them as if it was his kibble! 

Your boy has an elevated palate, liver pâté! :lol

Good to know about the Metacam, wow, thank you!

Smeared, whipped cream cheese in the bottom of the bowl. Makes 'em work to get to it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sauerkraut and cole slaw. Weirdo dogs!:P

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg