Euthanasia after x-ray - waking up or leaving sedated

MattB

I am preparing myself for all eventualities after Charlie's x-ray tomorrow. The vet has advised that if it is osteosarcoma that it would be best for Charlie to be put to sleep. Our last greyhound was kept under sedation and we were with him while he was put to sleep; it was very peaceful and I cherished being there with him when.

The other option the vet suggested would be to wake him up and then put him to sleep - my instinct is that I'd worry he'd wake up feeling groggy and confused and then he'd see me briefly before he was put to sleep and it would be better for him to remain sedated.

I'm just wondering what people's take on this is? Like I say I am hoping and praying but I want to be prepared for everything.

If Does Charlie need to be sedated for the xrays?  Nixon was awake for his leg/shoulder ones.   

At any rate, if the news is very bad...bone about to snap... then you could PTS. 

If it's just the beginning of osteo and can be managed with better/more meds then you can bring him home and spoil him rotten for a few weeks.  That is what we did. 

:bighug

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

28 minutes ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

If Does Charlie need to be sedated for the xrays?  Nixon was awake for his leg/shoulder ones.   

At any rate, if the news is very bad...bone about to snap... then you could PTS. 

If it's just the beginning of osteo and can be managed with better/more meds then you can bring him home and spoil him rotten for a few weeks.  That is what we did. 

Thank you - I'm just going with what has been suggested by the vet - I'm not sure if things are different here but I've never heard of x-rays without sedation.

as i had mentioned in my post on your other blog i would have let emily go while she was under sedation.  and btw, annie showed no signs of cancer- jumped off the bed onto a carpet, when we returned home, and horrifically broke her rear leg. the x-ray at the e-vet revealed cancer. she was in excruciating pain, drugged on morphine while they came up with a diagnosis. it was not a dignified way to go.it does take a while for dogs to come out of anesthesia, and they are not themselves for a good bit- why put your pal thru that?  hugs- it ain't easy. on the other side of the coin- if x-rays reveal an old injury that he can live with then out for coffee and pastries to celebrate! but i am really strange, when ever i loose a dog (or family member ) it's a big  dinner and lots of wine to celebrate their life! :grouphug

1 hour ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

This.

If the vet feels that sedation is absolutely necessary, I would ask about giving as light a dose as possible. We've not needed to sedate for any films except for Trevor :heart :heart and when the news was devastating, after spending some private time with him I let him go right then. He'd been only lightly sedated and we were confident that he was aware enough that his mom was saying see you later.  I hope you receive better news, but BatterseaBrindl's comments above are spot-on. :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you all. You've given me a lot to think about. 

I'm going to knock work on the head for today, go out and get some more of Charlie's favourite treats which he's allowed until 8pm.

What's so difficult is that he's having a good day today - given he couldn't come on a walk but he's super alert on his bed, watching over our 2 year old (they adore each other) and I feel like I can't be potentially having to make this decision today. 

Ok, I'll wash the red puffy mess that is my face and get to the shop. 

They often have a good day right before the end. It can make it harder on you, even if you follow the “better a day too soon than a day too late”  but I like to be grateful that their last day was pleasant, not painful and full of fear. I’ve had two that broke their leg with no previous suspicion of cancer, and believe me, you never, ever want to go through that. I hope the x-rays won’t show the worst, but I would say good bye before he was sedated, and let him go without waking him if it is bad. Waking him up again would be for you, not for him :grouphug If things turn out well, he won’t care that you said good bye and then did a “never mind” :lol

1 minute ago, Remolacha said:

They often have a good day right before the end. It can make it harder on you, even if you follow the “better a day too soon than a day too late”  but I like to be grateful that their last day was pleasant, not painful and full of fear. I’ve had two that broke their leg with no previous suspicion of cancer, and believe me, you never, ever want to go through that. I hope the x-rays won’t show the worst, but I would say good bye before he was sedated, and let him go without waking him if it is bad. Waking him up again would be for you, not for him :grouphug If things turn out well, he won’t care that you said good bye and then did a “never mind” :lol

Thank you for this. In my illogical mind I keep thinking 'will they find something on the x-rays because they're looking for it. I know it makes no sense I'm just in a dark place today.

I've been going through this with Maya my 13 1/2 year old. Limping & yelping in pain.  1st vet had to sedate her.  Nothing to report on xray.  Bring her to different vet (1 hour away & more experience with greyhounds).  They want updated xrays.  I ask do you need to sedate her they did not.  Said they very rarely need to sedate a greyhound especially a senior.   So frustrating. Hoping this turn out negative & pain meds help.  

10 hours ago, zimsmom said:

I've been going through this with Maya my 13 1/2 year old. Limping & yelping in pain.  1st vet had to sedate her.  Nothing to report on xray.  Bring her to different vet (1 hour away & more experience with greyhounds).  They want updated xrays.  I ask do you need to sedate her they did not.  Said they very rarely need to sedate a greyhound especially a senior.   So frustrating. Hoping this turn out negative & pain meds help.  

Thank you. 

Unfortunately it was the worst news and there wasn't a choice at all - Charlie had bone cancer which had spread to his chest. He was in a lot of pain, more pain than he'd let us see, so we said our goodbyes. Our hearts are in pieces. Good luck with your Maya.

11 hours ago, MattB said:

Thank you. 

Unfortunately it was the worst news and there wasn't a choice at all - Charlie had bone cancer which had spread to his chest. He was in a lot of pain, more pain than he'd let us see, so we said our goodbyes. Our hearts are in pieces. Good luck with your Maya.

I'm so very sorry. That is such a hard thing.

You made the right choice. By the time my little lurcher was showing the pain it was much too late. On the way to the vet for xrays her leg broke. Xrays showed the extend of the metastasis. I had no idea but feel like I should have and unintentionally let the poor girl suffer.

Run free, Charlie. Be well and whole again. God speed.

I am so sorry.  My guy broke his leg and it was then when we discovered it was cancer.  It was terrible and shocking.  I will never forget that day.   Run free, Charlie.  You were loved and will never be forgotten. 

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

MattB, give yourself some time and then make a post about Charlie in the Remembrance section. Many of us find comfort in recalling the younger, sillier, healthier days of our new angels.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I’m so sorry, I too, was hoping for a better outcome.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross