Elevated Beds

PaulnPam

We bought one for Rocket and he would never get on it. We ended up donating it to a GPA Picnic Auction. He didn't like the spongy feeling of the bed. When he would step on it his weight would make the bed bounce a little, and ' think he didn't like that feeling of unsteadiness under his feet. I've seen lots of other hounds use them with no issue, so YMMV.

A greyhound will often curl up to get into the smallest bed in the room, so fitting on one shouldn't be an issue.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We have a Kuranda. Got it for the porch. No dog was interested in it, but I realized the surface got quite warm from the sun. Brought it inside. Still, no dog was interested. Tossed a dog bed on top of it & then they started using it. The material on the Kuranda I bought is a bit slick. It's also firmer than the foam beds they were used to. I think that's why they only used it with the dog bed on it. We've only one dog now, but I've kept the Kuranda in the living room. My Grey is on it right now. I won't buy another one. It's just not best for our situation.

As for size, ours is about 36"x24". My Greys have all been on the smaller side. Depending on the size of your Grey, a 40"-42" long bed may be better. The width only needs to be maybe 24" wide, give or take. Regardless of the size of the bed, Greys tend to either curl up small, causing you to wonder why you bought such a large bed, or hang half their body off the bed, again making the bed look too big. :lol

Your problem with the mud is that it would get on the dog bed so your dog would still be laying on mud in the end, though not as much.

Edited by kudzu

We have a Coolaroo that come out of bulk trash. It was in excellent shape. It was Buck's favorite bed inside with a comforter tossed on it. Smaller Barkley and Maggie also loved/love it.. Outside I'd toss a cheap beach towel on it. Throw straw down in the mud tracks. You can straw at a lot of Ace Hardware stores.here. It will hold down the mud.
https://www.chewy.com/coolaroo-steel-framed-elevated-pet/dp/53803

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We have a Coolaroo as well. It gets sporadic use during the summer so we keep putting it out. If you have and old blanket or scrape of fabric to cover it that they've used inside it makes it more likeable.

The best thing we've done, however, is put an old bed or very cheap one, outside on top of a pallet or two stacked together. I pick up the pallets in scrape piles around manufacturers in our area - they are just throwing them away anyway. Secure them together with nails or bungee. Toss a bed on top. Viola!

The pallets last quite a while if you pick them up during the winter. And the beds are ones we were tossing anyway, so it doesn't matter if they get a little wet from time to time - they dry out pretty fast in the summer.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We spent considerable time making elevated outdoor beds a few years ago. None of the dogs liked them.

DH repurposed the frames into a blind for hunting :)

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

$14.99 on improvements catalogue years ago(largest size). it does squeak, so if you are going to keep it inside i would go with a better plastic model. my dogs love it and when i visit a friend who uses them for her kennel they never get off of them. they are on super sale right now, the sun shade is not necessary. i believe the company is going out of business https://www.improvementscatalog.com/indoor-2foutdoor-dog-bed/pet-supplies/13140

a rectangular dog bed or thick blanket does the trick. old man felix has a feather bed topper on his, he never gets off of it!

Edited by cleptogrey

We have a Coolaroo. Neither of my Greys would use it until I put a crate pad on it. Now it's got an entire Mammoth donut bed on it! It is under a covered porch, however.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm hoping to get one of these before spring:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XH1J2VH/?coliid=I1ZZ970R5Z527X&colid=2DD3SFC3BFO52&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They're the only ones I've seen with a bolster. I think Violet would be much more inclined to use it as it will feel more secure to her.

$14.99 on improvements catalogue years ago(largest size). it does squeak, so if you are going to keep it inside i would go with a better plastic model. my dogs love it and when i visit a friend who uses them for her kennel they never get off of them. they are on super sale right now, the sun shade is not necessary. i believe the company is going out of business https://www.improvementscatalog.com/indoor-2foutdoor-dog-bed/pet-supplies/13140

a rectangular dog bed or thick blanket does the trick. old man felix has a feather bed topper on his, he never gets off of it!

Wow, that's a great price! Wish they had a bolster option.

FYI, for anyone who ends up buying one, there is a coupon code right now for an additional 70% off that just worked for me: save70. :o

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

i find the dogs always seem to be lying in their's with their head hung well over the edge. or go for https://kuranda.com/dog-pads/bolster-with-reversible-fleece the kuranda beds last for decades, multiple options of covers and the bolster is a newish option. excellent quality product. my friend who owns quite a few power washes them daily. the covers need to be replaces after 20 some odd years and that's with hot texas sun.

Edited by cleptogrey

All my greyhounds love my Kundara bed. I bought it for my first greyhound Luka when I learned the adoption group he was at uses them in their kennels.

I put a fake lamb skin cover on it along with a heavy flannel blanket and a full sized pillow. I have had the bed 12 years. A great purchase.

We have some homemade elevated beds that are made of PVC pipe and canvas. Some of the hounds enjoy them but mostly they prefer the old futon mattresses that are directly on the ground. Weirdos. :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The pallets last quite a while if you pick them up during the winter. And the beds are ones we were tossing anyway, so it doesn't matter if they get a little wet from time to time - they dry out pretty fast in the summer.

Love this idea!