Estate Sale Find

Found these four doggos at an estate sale today.

49343102_2157205141262620_86750769757038

This mark is from the second one from the right

50107937_2157205254595942_79472857307854

The seller has them marked $20 each but will take $60 for all four. Thoughts please on what they actually are and perhaps their real value.

If anyone is interested in them I am probably going back tomorrow for some other stuff I also had my eye on :D

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Nice!

They'd make a decent donation to an auction if you don't want to keep them yourself....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

It's hard to tell the actual value of tchotchkes. Though anything worth anything will likely have makers marks and be from established companies like Lenox.

IMO, $60 is a lot of biskie monies for UCT (unidentified ceramic tchotchkes! ;) ). Especially if there are any condition issues.

They are cute though! And would be great auction items if you can get them cheaper.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

pin cushion? we had a small brass gh/lying on a pink pin cushion. GOOD FIND!!!

I was hoping you would see this. The seller kept referring to them as Staffordshire. I am not convinced. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I also have the 2nd from the left on the purple base. Mine says made in Japan. We paid $12 in an antique store in Cape May, NJ. You love them; they are worth the world to you for whatever you paid for them.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Personally it'd depend on how much I wanted one or more for myself; I'd try bargaining down to $50, in any case, just because I always do. And any you didn't want would sell on ebay/ at a greyhound rescue auction, I am sure.

All 20th century, all produced from moulds. The two central ones are meant to look like Staffordshire, yes. On a first glance I'd thought the one second on the pink cushion might be Victorian and the genuine article, but if Houndtime has one similar marked "made in Japan" that figures. Because they are collectable fakes have long been churned out, at first in Staffordshire using the old moulds and then in the Far East.

The second one from the right, also shown in the upside-down photo, definitely isn't Staffordshire - wrong sort of body (i.e. clay) and finish (glaze not glossy enough).

They have charm, though!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Personally it'd depend on how much I wanted one or more for myself; I'd try bargaining down to $50, in any case, just because I always do. And any you didn't want would sell on ebay/ at a greyhound rescue auction, I am sure.

All 20th century, all produced from moulds. The two central ones are meant to look like Staffordshire, yes. On a first glance I'd thought the one second on the pink cushion might be Victorian and the genuine article, but if Houndtime has one similar marked "made in Japan" that figures. Because they are collectable fakes have long been churned out, at first in Staffordshire using the old moulds and then in the Far East.

The second one from the right, also shown in the upside-down photo, definitely isn't Staffordshire - wrong sort of body (i.e. clay) and finish (glaze not glossy enough).

They have charm, though!

agreed, lots of staffordshire look-a-likes. most likely 1930-40s. it's all a matter of condition, condition, condition.

DD used to collect small dog figurines when she was young and shopping for antiques. back then, 30 years ago, her top investment was $1!!! when she was getting ready for college she sold off her collection to purchase new strings and music.i too sold off my collection of yellow ware bowls to help pay for UCLA. my top investment was $15, return- we should all be that lucky!

the concept it to ENJOY what you found! ENJOY looking for it and ENJOY your dogs and life. HAVE FUN PICKIN!

I love these! But I'm saying that as a collector of anything Greyhound that speaks to me, and doesn't cost a lot. We have 2 of the 4---the one with the purple base, and the little guy on the far right. And I know we didn't spend more than $10 dollars for them, if that. I wouldn't spend $60, but that's just me---and Doug too, who would say I was crazy for spending that much. But it's up to you. See if you can get her to come down. I've found that at estate sales, prices are usually way too high. They are run by companies that do that, and they want to make the highest percentage possible.

We just went to an estate sale a good friend was having, working with a company. Things were SO high. But Doug came back at the end, and our friend ended up practically giving him some things (in fact, she DID give him some things). I'm not saying that will happen, of course, but at the end of a sale, they are likely to mark things down if they really want to sell them.

I'm not an antiques expert by any means, but they do look like they're in less than pristine condition---the cracked base, paint loss, some discoloration, etc. And that is important for collector value. But they are still really charming. If I saw them, I would be excited, and eager to snatch them up. But not for $60. I just showed my expert, Doug the cheapskate, the pictures. He said the most he would go would be $40. But it would hurt him. :lol

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

my best, very best finds were always on the lower end of the $$$ spectrum. yes, estate sales are CRAZY these days. we wait until the last day or leave a bid. but everyone thinks that they have GOLD! there are some finds in antique shops but from what i have observed they are either very high end these days or glorified goodwill shops. when we resell items we ALWAYS look for goods in great condition, unusual or quirky things and objects that i would keep. those are our basic guidelines. then people ask why stuff is the price we mark it. we try to keep prices reasonable but it's hours of looking, miles of driving(8 hrs r/t for 10 fantastic items!) to bring greyt stuff.

the price that was spent doesn't matter- the enjoyment of owning it does! (otherwise we would be out of business). and yes... we have more goodies for GIG this year.

If you like them you should get them. As already stated, they’re worth what you’re willing to pay.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I do love antiquing (Brimfield) and know that feeling when you spot something you just have to have. While I *like* these doggos I don't love them. They shall have to camp out elsewhere :lol The best score from that sale was a bunch of towels and sheets for the campers :lol

Thanks all for your thoughts. I do love antiquing (Brimfield) and know that feeling when you spot something you just have to have. While I *like* these doggos I don't love them. They shall have to camp out elsewhere :lol The best score from that sale was a bunch of towels and sheets for the campers :lol

we sell at hertan's- often stay wed. only, booth 200, near the back entrance. contact me if you are going in may!

"The best score from that sale was a bunch of towels and sheets for the campers :lol"

Score for the campers. :flip

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)