Need Help - Osteosarcoma, Uncontrolled Hyperthermia

:clap

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wonderful news!

You might want to try full fat yogurt, just make sure that it does not have "funny" sugars in it. My dogs that had amps would usually respond to yogurt and one just loved cheerios in it. They liked the vanilla flavored one.

Jeff came home earlier today, very thin, but more energy than he's had. Need to check again in a bit, but his temperature this afternoon was 101.5, yay! Still extremely picky about food, but ate a little and I have more things to offer later. Big hit is still cheese.

He is very happy to be home. Was thrilled to see the car when I picked him up, and a bit reluctant to get out when we got home LOL. But once out he was quite happy to inspect the back yard and water the grass. Main issues now are eating and licking, though the licking is not as obsessive as before. Hopefully once he is more active that will subside.

A good friend sent him new toys, one of which was introduced tonight and that definitely generated a lot of enthusiasm. As long as this antibiotic continues to do its job, each day should be a little better.

Thank you so much for all your food suggestions, we have quite a pantry and fridge full of goodies, and I don't want to have to eat them all : ) Please send eating vibes !

Edited by Rickiesmom

Go Jeff!

:yay :yay :yay

And please eat. Lots. :chow

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Finally :yay

Jeff is home in his own beds, let the real healing begin!

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Mary, I just read this thread from beginning to end. What an ordeal for you and Jeff. My stomach was in knots but as I came to the last posts I was so happy to see that Jeff was home, the antibiotic was working and he is eating again. You have been on my mind and I have been hoping for this good news.

All my good wishes and thoughts for you both that he has permanently turned the corner and will recover quickly.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thank you. His appetite waxes and wanes (waning at the moment) but when I find the right thing, some goes down, and anything down is a good thing.

The area of his suture line with the infection is oozing quite a bit - what looks like very thin blood, and if I press below, more comes out so the pouch is not shrinking. Still early days though.

It stayed dry all night, but he barely moved which is likely why. I am leaving the bandage off for now since it will just get soaked and need changing again, and am dabbing it as needed. Also applying a cold pack every hour or so.

The hospital should call later, and I will fill them in.

I wonder if Manuka honey might help the incision to heal? With your teams ok, of course. Hang in there you guys!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Mary, I’m so sorry you’ve gone through this with Jeff. I had no idea because I haven’t been on gt for awhile. I sure hope Jeff continues to improve. Please let me know if I can help in any way. I’ll email you soon. Again, I’m heartbroken for you and really hope Jeff heals and feels better soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Jeff has been through a lot since I last posted. Tying it into the posts above:

August 7 he was discharged, as his temperature was stable in the normal range, he was eating a little, and had been on an IV antibiotic the incision bacteria were sensitive to for 24h. They sent us home with the oral form, Claveseptin. The infected pocket in the incision was continuing to ooze, not surprising since he had been on the correct antibiotic for such a short time. However, as the days went by it oozed a lot more and what was coming out was like thin blood. He was also showing signs that maybe the bladder infection had returned,

August 9 I decided to take him to my regular clinic. They are closer, I love my vet, and wanted her to look him over, especially the oozing area of the incision, and also to take a cysto urine sample for culture. After the cysto my vet examined him and noticed he was showing a bit of bruising at the cysto site. Checked his gums and found a few petechiae. Called the hospital, they agreed that my clinic would also take blood and I would take the samples and Jeff to the hospital. He was admitted and the blood was sent for stat processing. His platelets count came back dangerously low - 16K - no wonder the bloody oozing had been increasing!

They recommended waiting until the next day to see which way things were going to go, and admitted him to ICU. I went home, got some food together for him, gathered up a few things and went back down. They let me stay with him overnight in his enclosure, for which I was so grateful.

August 10 platelets came back at 10. They decided to run a second test, got their best tech for blood draws to take the sample, and used a vial with a different medium inside - I don't know the details but this apparently enables a more refined test. It came back at 21! Not normally a number anyone would celebrate, but we were thrilled. He stayed in ICU, the threshold for bringing him home was 30.

August 11 (today) his count was 34, so although his gums are still pale, he could come home. They gave him an injectable 14 day form of the antibiotic to bypass his GI system, and we are home with Gabapentin, an anti-nausea drug, and a stomach protectant. Recheck on Friday. He weighs about 55 lbs, vs 75 lbs in early July, before all this started.

He was so happy to see the car we needed to restrain him when he saw back hatch open, as he clearly planned to jump in. Once he is stronger we'll start rehab to rebuild his strength - more important now than ever because he has, with all that has happened, lost a lot of muscle everywhere, including his remaining back leg.

The oncologist recommends that we stop chemo and we agree. We hope this is the end of all the problems, so he can enjoy "just being a dog" for however much time he has.

In the meantime, please think positive thoughts for a great platelet number on Friday!

For now, we are just praying that by Friday his platelets will be at normal levels, or very close.

Keeping Jeff and your family in our thoughts.

Sending gentle hugs.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)