Time For Shots...?

We adopted Marty Dec. 2017. He had his wellness visit at the end of that month and his records for our vet were updated from the records that came with him from the race track.

Last week I received a reminder card from our vet in the mail that Marty needs the following this week:

1. rabies vaccination

2. da2pp

I think the rabies vaccination is the only one required here in Alabama? What do you all recommend? Just go with the rabies? The only time he goes out side is on his leash for walks around our neighborhood - which is 3x a day 6am, 2pm, and 7pm.

If he comes into contact with other dogs *anywhere* you should do the da2pp (distemper, adenovirus-2, parainfluenza and parvovirus) and bordatella. It's also good in case of emergency kenneling/boarding, and natural emergencies. If you're questioning the need because you feel he's being over vaccinated, talk with your vet about running titers or delaying them several months.

With the rabies, did you get a rabies certificate from his kennel/track doctor? That should be sufficient proof if any animal control officers come to your door looking for proof of rabies. Just make sure the date on that slip of paper is a good one (otherwise you need the shot).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If he comes into contact with other dogs *anywhere* you should do the da2pp (distemper, adenovirus-2, parainfluenza and parvovirus) and bordatella. It's also good in case of emergency kenneling/boarding, and natural emergencies. If you're questioning the need because you feel he's being over vaccinated, talk with your vet about running titers or delaying them several months.

With the rabies, did you get a rabies certificate from his kennel/track doctor? That should be sufficient proof if any animal control officers come to your door looking for proof of rabies. Just make sure the date on that slip of paper is a good one (otherwise you need the shot).

Agree 100% with the advice given above. The da2pp is something that should be given even if a dog may only come into contact with others on daily walks. I staggered out the vaccinations in our grey when we first got him and never had any issues.

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"

Rabies and DAPP are good for 3 years here.

We only give Lepto annually.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

When was the last distemper given? Most vets are giving it every 3 years now. Even then I would still run a titer-most likely the booster wont even be necessary.

Just had Graces titers ran at UW Madison. In the 3 years we’ve had her, we have never vaccinated. She’s exempt from Rabies due to an immune issue. Her Distemper, Parvo and Rabies titers were all very protective and we chose not to vaccinate once again.

When was the last distemper given? Most vets are giving it every 3 years now. Even then I would still run a titer-most likely the booster wont even be necessary.

THIS!!!! The American Animal Hospital Association & I think even the AVMA only recommend this vaccine once every THREE years! There is absolutely no reason to give it more often. In fact if you titer test you will discover that it probably will be many years before it might be required. Rabies is a legal requirement but you need to ask for the THREE year rabies shot-IF the one he has is not three years. Then he only needs that every three years as well. If you don't ask they may just give the 1 year shot so they can make extra $$ every year since you legally have to give the rabies. If he was my dog he would be getting ONLY a THREE year rabies and that is ONLY if the rabies shot he already has is not a 3 year one. The others he has are still good and are good for THREE years. (There are some vets however that like to over vaccinate and do it every year because it is easy money. Beware of them as it is not good for your dog.)

agree, first rabies shot is generally good for one year, then 3 year booster shots. some vets are crazy and insist that it be given a month or more before the due date on the papers. others just administer the booster within that calendar month. go know...but if you use a clinic, make sure it is the 3 year rabies shot.

i do Lepto annually, it's a disease one wants to avoid. when i traveled last winter i called my dd's vet and they emphatically said- YES to Lepto. It's wide spread in some regions, do check and see if it's within your region.

DHLPP every 3 years.

i do Lepto annually, it's a disease one wants to avoid. when i traveled last winter i called my dd's vet and they emphatically said- YES to Lepto. It's wide spread in some regions, do check and see if it's within your region.

I was told that the Lepto shot only works on about 6% of the different strains that are out there, which is why I've never vaccinated for it. Anyone have different info about this or the need to vaccinate against Lepto?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I was told that the Lepto shot only works on about 6% of the different strains that are out there, which is why I've never vaccinated for it. Anyone have different info about this or the need to vaccinate against Lepto?

Agreed. I don't vaccinate for it either for that reason. Lepto is a bacteria and it is not the same as the virus vaccines-in fact there is some question about the safety of the current lepto vaccine and also the duration of any immunity it may provide. Kind of like the lyme vaccine. They used to have a lyme vaccine for people too but it had so many serious adverse reactions it was removed from the market. Sadly dogs don't have that same level of protection as the humans do.

THIS!!!! The American Animal Hospital Association & I think even the AVMA only recommend this vaccine once every THREE years! There is absolutely no reason to give it more often. In fact if you titer test you will discover that it probably will be many years before it might be required. Rabies is a legal requirement but you need to ask for the THREE year rabies shot-IF the one he has is not three years. Then he only needs that every three years as well. If you don't ask they may just give the 1 year shot so they can make extra $$ every year since you legally have to give the rabies. If he was my dog he would be getting ONLY a THREE year rabies and that is ONLY if the rabies shot he already has is not a 3 year one. The others he has are still good and are good for THREE years. (There are some vets however that like to over vaccinate and do it every year because it is easy money. Beware of them as it is not good for your dog.)

This would be a good idea if your local municipality didn't have regulations stipulating the intervals required of rabies shots. I've looked at several locations and city codes stipulate specific intervals from yearly to every other or every three years. Rare is it that they refer back to the veterinarian making the call. It is also interesting if your vet is in a different municipality where the interval is different!

Alabama finally adopted the 3 year rabies. We do that every three years and then DHLPP for the first round, then another a year later then 3 years and then I have no desire to have it done again.

Bordatella - never given it to my dogs and I've seen plenty get it and still get kennel cough.

As far as rabies - follow the state law. You don't want to be caught in situation where your dog isn't current and has bit somebody or another dog.

To register my dog with the town in January, I need proof that rabies is good until December. If a new dog got his one year shot in May, he would be due for his three year in the middle of the year. It takes a while for me to get in sync with the town requirements. I only did bordatella for my therapy dog because the agency required it. My old vet’s office would send out reminders for the yearly combo shot, but the vet had no problem when I said I wanted to do three year intervals. His front desk staff finally updated their computer system to stop spitting out yearly reminders.

We do the three year rabies and license, then offset by a year, the 5 in 1 shot (5 in 1 +2) every three years.

The county just wants the rabies and license and the vet doesn't push the rest. The vet knows we do the shots on the 3 year for all of our dogs and that we are on heart worm preventative year round and really do not push anything on us.

My vet told me that there are several strains of Bordatella and that the shot covers the first 3 "bad" ones on the list. She also gives them the 3 years rabies shot, even though the county I live in does not recognize the 3 year.