Have You Had This Experience?

Guest kidwellca

Guest kidwellca

I am reaching out to see if anyone on this forum has had an experience like this.

We adopted our black and white angel, Soji on December 19, 2017. Immediately she began throwing up in the mornings. We, of course, already had an appointment with our vet for a wellness check, so we took some stool with us to be tested. Soji did, indeed, turn out to be positive for hookworm. We proceeded with treatment, and from that time to this, Soji never tested negative for hookworm. She suffered from almost constant diarrhea and was on constant antibiotics of many different varieties. She was always at the vet and we incurred thousands of dollars in expenses. Amazingly, during those months, Soji never acted sick. And, her appetite was incredible, she was absolutely ravenous! Of course, we had never had a greyhound before, but we knew they were "couch potatoes," yet there was a nagging feeling in me, as I noticed sublte changes in the way she ran, which soon became only a walk. Then she began having raspberry jam poops and was dehydrated so often our vet allowed us to administer the saline solution at home, so she would not have to spend the night away from us at the vet.

The final two weeks of her life were brutal. We were terrified, as she finally became so weak she was bearly able to walk or chew her food. I asked the vet if there could be something wrong other than hookworm, and because she constantly tested positive for hookworm, they felt sure of their diagnosis. They/we had begun doing our own research on the Greyhounds coming out of the Florida race tracks and discovered that the dogs coming from the Florida tracks had a particular strain of hookworm that was almost completely resistant to regular treatment, so our vet was ready to start a very aggressive plan.

At our visit this past Friday, our vet told us that Soji was anemic, that her red blood count had gone from a count of 39 just five days before to 16 and she desperately needed a blood transfusion. That was at 5:30 pm, and we began checking hospitals in our area who had the type blood needed. We finally found the blood at a vet hospital an hour away, and were told they could not take Soji until 6 am Saturday morning. Our vet put a port in Soji's leg and sent us home with a medicated solution to be administered directly via IV. We went home to a sleepless night of watching our sweetheart deteriorate by the minute. At 5 am we rushed to Leesburg for the transfusion. They came out to the car and took her near lifeless body on a stretcher. Ten minutes later, the doctor hurried out to tell us Soji's abdominal cavity was filled with blood, and that it was definitely not from the hookworm but she could not tell where it was coming from. We were told that not even a blood transfusion would help. She recommended we say our goodbyes and proceed with euthanasia.

We left the hospital stunned that our beautiful Soji was not coming home with us. We had wanted a greyhound for years waiting for our retirement so we could give her all the attention in the world. What happened? We followed everything the vet said, even preparing nothing but chicken and rice for two months. Did Soji have cancer? She certainly had hookworms! Can hookworms kill a dog? We just did not know.

Soji was so classy and well behaved, I doubt there will be another black beauty like her. But we do want to adopt another greyt. But what if this happens again, I'm not sure our psyche can handle it. Can someone please tell us if this is normal?

I'm so sorry you've lost your Soji.

In 2011, I lost Jacey to immune mediated thrombocytopenia (IMTP). She'd had a well-dog visit with bloodwork at the vet on a Tuesday, and her platelet count was 200,000 (completely normal). By Thursday night, she was lethargic. At the e-vet on Friday morning, her platelet count was 18,000 and her blood wasn't clotting. We lost her on that Monday. She was on the antibiotic Cephalexin for what had appeared to be a sinus infection (she had grass allergies). She'd taken the antibiotic for a couple of days without an apparent problem. We never identified the cause of the IMTP, but I've sometimes wondered if the antibiotic triggered something. I've seen a few other greyhounds on here with immune-system problems: some have recovered, some have not, but it's not that common.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful Soji. Your ordeal terrifies me as my Lola has been struggling, on and off, with hooks since August of last year. Hooks can make a dog anemic,and, I guess, if left untreated can cause death, but you did everything right for your girl. I'm guessing only a necropsy can tell you what actually happened.

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm so sorry for your loss.....

Losing a loved friend is never easy, and it's even harder when it's something that can't be readily explained. Sometimes you just never know. A necropsy could give you some closure, but she's probably already been cremated by now.

From what you describe, there was nothing more you could have done that would have changed the outcome. I hope it can be a comfort to you that she passed knowing she was loved and cared for so well for her short life.

In our home, we feel it is honoring our dogs that have passed to give a loving home to another. Please reach out to find your next companion when you feel able.

{{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:(

No answer, just sending my sympathies

:bighug

I hope you can let another loving hound help you to heal your heart.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

How horrible, but please rest assured, THIS IS NOT "NORMAL"

It's a horrible outcome, and I'm so sorry, but please do not let this sway you. Greyhounds make wonderful pets and most of them are darned hardy.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I am so sorry you needed to go through that horrific ordeal. It may have been IMHA or some other kind of anaemia; might even have been some kind of cancer. Possibly. as you suggest, it may indeed have been hookworms responsible for setting off a cascade of problems; and their bites certainly can continue to seep. Usually, though hooks are only said to have danger of being fatal in puppies. It is really only your vet who can determine these things.

On the issue of feeling uneasy about adopting another grey following a loss like you have suffered, I can tell you that your feelings are entirely normal. The thing about us humans, though, is that our hearts are always big enough and strong enough to enable us to adopt another dog as soon as we feel ready. Try looking at it like you suffered extremely bad luck and did everything you could to help your Soji. 8 times out of ten that level of care would have had a more positive outcome for most other illnesses. Only if one of my dogs died as a result of Parvo would I hold off getting another for a considerable amount of time. If it helps, try thinking that you owe the Greyhound world at least one more chance of finding a dog their forever home. Maybe if you have your next one fully assessed by a vet before adoption, you'll be able to feel more confident. Perhaps then with that clean bill of health, take out a pet insurance policy.

Edited by JohnF

My deepest sympathy for your loss. At least your dog experienced kindness during her last days.

As for the hookworms, our grey adopted in late October 2017 was in the 3+ hookworm territory all the way until February. We finally got two clean reports in a row, but will retest in a few weeks. Our experience was similar, lots of money, time, meds, etc. He had and still has very loose stool to diarrhea. He was absolutely ravenous when we got him and continues to prize food above anything. However, never the blood issue you experienced.

Ours was 3 1/2 when we got him. How old was Soji? If she was older, perhaps the infestation went unchecked for a longer period?

There are a ton of threads on this site about new greyhounds with hookworms. It seems to be epidemic and the strains seem resistant to treatment, but as an owner who battled them, it can be overcome.

I truly hope you decide to get another greyhound. You sound like exactly the kind of people a greyhound deserves and vice versa.

Edited by NewGrey2017

Guest kidwellca

My deepest sympathy for your loss. At least your dog experienced kindness during her last days.

As for the hookworms, our grey adopted in late October 2017 was in the 3+ hookworm territory all the way until February. We finally got two clean reports in a row, but will retest in a few weeks. Our experience was similar, lots of money, time, meds, etc. He had and still has very loose stool to diarrhea. He was absolutely ravenous when we got him and continues to prize food above anything. However, never the blood issue you experienced.

Ours was 3 1/2 when we got him. How old was Soji? If she was older, perhaps the infestation went unchecked for a longer period?

There are a ton of threads on this site about new greyhounds with hookworms. It seems to be epidemic and the strains seem resistant to treatment, but as an owner who battled them, it can be overcome.

I truly hope you decide to get another greyhound. You sound like exactly the kind of people a greyhound deserves and vice versa.

Guest kidwellca

You have all been most helpful! I can tell grey owners are going to be my kind of people.

My husband I intend to continue our research and recruiting of others to the cause of hooks. Right now I am building a spreadsheet to help me follow the path of as many greys as possible and from there build an educational platform for ownes. Had we not been so blindsided, perhaps we could have been better prepared to help Soji. The other side of that coin is that it may be valuable to have a vet who is well versed in raising greyhounds.

I am a proactive person when it comes to working through my grief, and for Soji and all greys, I feel an obligation to educate myself and others. It sounds like I found a good resource in you, the owners here on GreyTalk.

Please continue posting your experiences here.

Soji's Mom

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. It hit home here for a number of reasons including our current battle with hooks.

Sharing of information is so important, and thank you for doing so through this difficult time for you.

This is a current thread related to these difficult hooks that a number of us are sharing info on:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/322685-hookworm/page-5

I agree with NewGrey2017: "You sound like exactly the kind of people a greyhound deserves and vice versa."

I agree with Chris (greysmom). There is a "heart-healer" out there when you are ready. :heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

My deepest sympathy. :grouphug I am so sorry that beautiful Soji had to leave. I have had many hounds and what I have learned, what they taught me, is that when it is their time to cross over they will go and there is nothing that can be done to stop it. If it doesn't happen one way then it will happen another way. I have had them go suddenly from a horrible freak accident to a sudden medical condition (bloat/GDV) that took my soul mate hound Slim. I watched my first greyhound-Ivy- go through osteo and even a leg amputation and I have also had them live to be pretty old-only 3 weeks shy of 15 in Momma's case and Aggie was very close to that. So what I'm trying to say is IMO you shouldn't worry about such a thing happening if you get another hound. It is all out of our control anyway. Ours is but to love them and let them love us back and be oh so grateful for the blessing that is :beatheart

Another problem could have been hemangiosarcoma. I've lost 3 to that horrible disease.

I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful Soji.

The symptoms allude to cancer. When presenting with a hemoabdomen one instantly thinks of hemangiosarcoma. The decreased red cell count is because the blood was in her abdominal cavity.

Im sorry for your loss.

Edited by tbhounds

Hi There -

I am very sorry for the loss of your sweet animal, my thoughts are with you. You did everything you could, and I am happy to hear you are more than likely going to adopt again.

Out of curiosity, did they run Soji's White Blood Cell count values? I am curious as we recently adopted a Grey out of FL who tested positive for hooks, but also had a low-grade infection that caused abnormal WBC levels. After much testing, and him proceeding to get very ill (vomiting, fever, lethargy), we ended up rushing to the ER and having a major exploratory surgery done to find that his Gallbladder had ruptured and he had sepsis (causing blood in the abdominal cavity). Thankfully, we were able to successfully remove the gallbladder and to date, he is getting healthier by the day.

Thinking of you!

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"