Houndie Arthritis

My vet put Gracie on Carprofen. We changed to the generic Truprofen that Costco sells because of cost. We did a trial run first, then ran tests to make sure it wasn't going to cause other problems.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Larry has LS and arthritis and Meloxicam seems to work well (he was on Rimadyl from about 6 months but then started with stomach issues so he's been on Meloxicam since last May). He also is on Gabepentin and Tramadol but more for the LS part.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Previcox every other day for arthritis from an old toe injury. We tried a number of non-NSAID alternatives first (myriad joint supplements, Duralactin, Chinese herbs) but only an NSAID eliminated her limping. We do still give a joint supplement and fish oil every day.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Physiotherapy,laser accupuncture, msm, hypericum perforatum

and onsior as a pain med. It works like metacam but has less side effects.

A chiropractor. Metacam is also an amazing drug, not cheap however but a night and day difference when on it vs when not.

Metacam can make tired but one dose works for 24 hours. When I give it I always give it before bed time. The pain relief is still there in the morning but the tiredness has been slept off.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Fletcher was on metacam and it worked well, but of course, there can be different reactions in different dogs. My vet at the time thought metacam was a bit easier on their kidneys, and I liked the fact that as a liquid you could adjust the dose to their exact weight.

There are so many natural ways to stave off arthritis, and help repair it. I've had hundreds of hounds and many years to see the wonderful results of these modalities. Some of them include:

- Joint supplements - Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin, Vitamin C, CMO

- Anti-inflammatories - which are key - Yucca, Turmeric Golden Paste, Boswellia, Bromelain

- Acupuncture

- Cold Laser

- Adequan

- Herbs, Homeopathy, Essential oils...and more

More info and details at Greyhound Gang - Learn - Arthritis

I'm always available to answer questions and provide info. I'll be at Greyhounds in Gettysburg giving the first talk, Noon on Friday.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vahwk

anyone have experience with the homepathic tablets arnica. .. and / or natural hemp oil / supplements for arthritis / stiffness etc???

anyone have experience with the homepathic tablets arnica. .. and / or natural hemp oil / supplements for arthritis / stiffness etc???

I tried arnica once, never again. Caused my boy to throw up severely. Arnica if I recall correctly is more for acute trauma than for arthritis. Others swear by it but I am now gun-shy to use it.

Agreed you should consider a new topic for this.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Don't know how to close this down

You can send a help request to Support (right underneath the top banner) and ask the operators to lock this thread.

Again, :grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I am so sorry that Maggie had to leave you. I have added her name to the list of Bridge Angels on GT.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png