Elevated Alt, Temperature, Blood In Abdomen - What's Going On?

I hope they do an ultrasound. Blood in the abdomen can be from hemangiosarcoma.

I pray it's not.

This was my first thought - I read up on it a lot with Daisy because she had the dermal version so when I heard she had blood in her abdomen I got instantly worried about hemangiosarcoma. I assume they'll be able to tell from visual inspection if it is? She went in for surgery a couple hours ago and I haven't heard anything yet.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

:clover for you and her!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Any update? [pacing]

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

She came through surgery fine. She's groggy but still doing well.

Still no clue what's going on with her. The vet said her liver didn't scream cancer, but she still took a piece to biopsy. Temp is still a little over 103. Fluid in her abdomen was mostly gone so we still don't know what caused that or the fever. She's going to stay on Doxy a while to see if it helps whatever's causing the fever.

I sell things on Etsy!

She's such a pretty girl. I hope they get it figured out and treated and she can come home with you soon. Maybe a consult with Dr. Couto would help?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I've been thinking about your girl all day. I hope things continue to improve.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

She's still spiking a fever, particularly in the afternoons. They added a second antibiotic to see if it'll kick whatever's going on. I can't get down there till Monday but she's coming home then so I can monitor her.

She apparently has an appetite and is acting like herself, so that's something.

I sell things on Etsy!

Sending prayers for your sweet girl :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Just adding our good wishes.

-Once the volunteer noticed the head tilt, she got her out of her crate. She was acting odd, confused, and within a few minutes wasn't able to stand

The volunteer rushed her to the vet.

Thank goodness for this volunteer.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Just dropped her off at the kennel again after having her for a week. She's feeling much better (especially now that she's only on 1 antibiotic!) and even tried to do some zoomies (which aren't allowed, what with all the staples in her belly).

I got a look at her liver biopsy results.

tumblr_ot5jhf1vQG1s3xj43o1_540.jpg

I think they'd have noticed other symptoms related to heart failure if that was the cause. Perhaps anemia triggered it - she was sick with some bug before the fever/disorientation started. I suppose subacute exposure to a toxin is possible, but I can't imagine what it would be. Everyone is muzzled at turnout and when they're not outside for turnout, they're in their crates. She was given a bath, but it wouldn't have been different than anyone else's bath. The only thing I can think of is maybe a bad batch of treats was donated? But I can't narrow it down any more than that because treats are put in different containers once they arrive.

Regardless, I'm going to be super careful from here on out.

If anyone has any insight or ideas, I'm all ears :lol

I sell things on Etsy!

Don't assume she can't eat anything just because she's muzzled. It could have been anything in the turnout - a stray mushroom, some trash thrown over the fence, something a bird dropped. She also could have a sensitivity to something in her bath that the others don't have.

I super glad she's doing better though!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Don't assume she can't eat anything just because she's muzzled. It could have been anything in the turnout - a stray mushroom, some trash thrown over the fence, something a bird dropped. She also could have a sensitivity to something in her bath that the others don't have.

I super glad she's doing better though!

That's a good point - the turnout lots are sand, but I suppose anything could happen!

I sell things on Etsy!

I was googling (which my vet always tells me not to do, but I only read the professional and academic sources! :lol) and it looks like sometimes ehrlichia can cause liver issues similar to what Tessa was having (that is, if I'm reading these correctly). I hope that's it, because the treatment for it would be doxy, which she's already on.

Edited by Roo

I sell things on Etsy!