What's Wrong? Diarrhea, Vomitting, Balance Issues

Guest KentuckyRock

Guest KentuckyRock

Kentucky my greyhound has been a bit off the past 6 weeks. At first it was him struggling to go up the stairs. He would have to walk around & around the house before we finally encouraged him to walk up the stairs. He needed us to encouraged him to do so. He started have wetter poos then normal. Vomitting once and a while. Seemed like he was being spooked easily, and very shy. Extremely lethargic, not barking, not wanting to go for walk. Things that made him excited before didn't excite him. I right away thought with the signs it was low throid which we were told he had when we got him from NGAP in 2011. Our vet took him off soloxine last year as he worried his kidneys which had high protein levels were being damaged by the Soloxine.(Vet also told us to give him Pepsid to avoid ulcers due to a medication the Vet put him on for his kidneys). Rest of the family thought it was something worse. Vet thought it was possibly a infection. He gave him a antibiotic. A week went by and nothing changed. I pushed for him to have his tyroid levels checked and to be put on 0.8mg of Soloxine which he was on until last year. Two days later he already seemed better. His poos were solider but still very watterly, but not pure liquid like it had become. The doctor called us a week and half later and said the results showed his thyroid was low.

He contined to seem back to his old self, Barking again. Jumping up & down like crazy when he was told he was going for a walk. Running around again in the backyard, playing with toys outside. His personality was back. About a week and a half ago he started having the courage to easily go up the stairs like normal. Just needing to be told to go up the stairs and up he went without any hesitation. He even went up the stairs once on his own. Which he hadn't done in months. The Soloxine seemed to be helping big time. His poos were still half solid, and half watery.

This past week things started to get bad. He had liquid diarrhea almost every time. Friday around 8pm, myself & my Grandmother went out for 15 minutes to get something to eat. When we came home he had diarrhea inside the house. He usually sleeps in my room but Saturday night he wanted to go down to my Grandmothers room. I let him and he laid down & fell asleep. I checked on him at 12am, and again at 1am. At 1am my Grandmother called saying Kentucky was barking at her & for me to come down. I came down and he had just vomited inside the house. He laid down. He must have been barking to go outside to vomit.

Sunday afternoon, I was in the shower. My Grandmother had gone outside to help my Dad with dinner. I came downstairs and he had vomited inside the house again. He continued to have liquid diarrhea and wouldn't eat his evening meal. He ate his nightly treat tho a Pedigree Dentastix which he loves.

Today he wouldn't eat his breakfast. We tried to use chicken like normal to give him his medicine but he wouldn't open his mouth. We tried out hardest. We tried pancakes as well as he always liked them on rare times. We tried steak and he ate his medicine right away. As the day went on he seemed back to his old self. Barking for food. We gave him his kibble and some beef but not as much as normal. He seemed normal. He hadn't gone to the bathroom yet. He got excited to go for a car ride like normal which he loves. Running around the backyard with his leash. He wouldn't eat his dinner. He had diarrhea outside which was pure liquid. He took his thyroid medicine with steak.

He started to get worst on his balance tonight. Walking straight into things. His back legs crashing into things as he tried to lean against things as he walked. He would follow either me, my Grandmother, or my Dad around not wanting to be alone. He didn't hesitate to come up the stairs tonight but stopped halfway as he bumped into the wall, he struggled to regain his balance but then continued up the stairs. Now he keeps getting up and walking around trying to get comfortable. He does have pannus which we give him drops in his eyes for. The Vet doesn't think he's blind and neither do we.

He is still walking around my room now not wanting to lay down for too long. I don't know what to do. I love him so much. Is it low thyroid like I suspect, but why would he be getting worse all of a sudden? Is it IBD which I have looked up about? Is it stomach cancer? Is it something horrible?

Please what do you all think.

Guest KentuckyRock

I would be at the emergency vet right now. Are you in Philadelphia?

I am not near Philly. Kentucky seems relaxed now. He went downstairs slowly to my Grandmother's room and is laying down on her bed.

This is definitely something for a vet to deal with. That doesn't mean that it is deadly just that a vet will be able to find out what exactly is wrong and how to deal with it. If you don't have an 24 hour vet nearby, get him in tomorrow morning. This might be something like doggy flu, or an inner ear infection.

Could be anything from a flu to dehydration. He is most likely dehydrated after the vomiting and diarrhea anyway.

To check for dehydration: You may be able to detect dehydration at home by gently lifting the skin on the back of your dog's neck or between the shoulder blades-unless your dog is seriously overweight or very thin, it should immediately return to a normal position. If he is lacking in fluids, the lifted skin may not quickly return to normal.

if dehydrated I would get him to the vet sooner rather than later. He may need IV fluids under the skin to be rehydrated.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Any diarrhea or vomiting lasting longer than a couple days needs a vet right away. He needs to be seen tomorrow, one way or another.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think he needs to go to a competent greyhound savvy vet IMMEDIATELY. It sounds to me like he is in pain ("he keeps getting up and walking around trying to get comfortable"). I have observed such behavior when there were spinal issues btw. Try to find a GOOD vet. Don't just go to any vet-some will do more harm than good to the dog and just waste your money. You need to find a good vet that actually cares about Kentucky. Kentucky sounds like he is an emergency case to me and I would have him at the best vet I could find ASAP. They can die pretty quick. Serious issues like he is having are nothing to play around with or wait and see about.

How's Kentucky doing? Were you able to get him to the vet? His issues are absolutely emergent!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest KentuckyRock

We got Kentucky to the vet right away in the morning. Before that during the night he vomitted again. He slept for a while. He got up in the morning and wanted to lay outside he jumped up and walked over to see my Dad when he opened his door and came outside by him.

Out regular vet was doing surgeries today, so Kentucky saw another Vet today. They didn't know what was wrong with Kentucky. They checked his temperature and were was some blood on the temperature thing. Kentucky got more anxious as we got near the vet as he always does. He tried his hardest to stay in the car when he got to the vet, stretching out his paws and digging into the car seat.

The vet said he was dehydrated and they hooked him up to IVs. They did X-Rays on him and everything came back okay. His Kidneys levels had got up a bit. He was there I think last week or two weeks ago I am losing track of days/weeks at the moment thinking about him. They were surprised at how strong & well he was with his kidneys unwell for a greyhound his age(8 years ago) and size. He was 99 lbs when weighed one or two weeks ago. Today he was 86 lbs. When we got him he was 76 lbs.

Vet called later and said they're is a 50/50 chance he makes it through this as the Vet noticed he appears worse then when he got to the Vet. Vet thought it may be Disseminated Inravasular Coagulation after talking with our regular Vet & another Vet who was there.

He called an hour later and said the chances of him making it through this are down to 30%. He found a problem with his heart. I can't recall exactly what he said, I've been crying too much. He said his heart was checked last week or two weeks ago and this wasn't there. He said it also could be a tiny tumor in his hormone glands. He said two other Vets arrived for the day and they all talked about what it could be. He said Kentucky is hooked up to a EKG machine and he hade two bits of a episode but he came out of it. I asked if they would cause him pain and he said no only discomfort.

He was talking about doing another test, but I asked since he said the end may be near, I just want Kentucky not to be in anymore pain or discomfort. I asked him about putting Kentucky down. He said that is something we should be thinking about. He said we also could bring him home with medicine, but there's a good chance he could pass away. I said I don't think we want to do that. He said he could call us back with another update. But I asked what's the latest today for us to decide. He said by 6pm but he said he scheduled in a euthanasia appointment for 7:40pm but we could cancel it.

He said he would call back at 2:50pm or unless his condition gets worse. I asked if we could possibly move the appointment up as I didn't want him to be suffering. He said they could.

Kentucky is my very first greyhound and my very first dog. I have had him for 5 years and 10 months. I love him so much. He was seeming okay until this weekend. Still running around, barking, and jumping. Still sleeping in the cockroach position during the night. But I know the best last gift you can give to a greyhound is to get them to that rainbow bridge. I don't want Kentucky to be in any pain, I love him sooooo much.

What a rough day you've been having. :(

Is your vet familiar with the differences in greyhound lab values are compared to other dog breeds? Check out www.greythealth.com

Normal platelet count for greyhounds is 80,000-200,000 (varies with different labs). Other breed platelets 150,000-400,000.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What a nightmare! I know you will make the best, loving decision for your boy. I pray for you to have clarity, strength and peace. Loving scritches for Kentucky.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I would be at the emergency vet right now. Are you in Philadelphia?

Times 2! Get to the vet asap

Apologies-just read that you brought him to your vet. Have they tried plasma transfusions?

Edited by tbhounds

Guest KentuckyRock

Kentucky has left us :(

We got to spend 45 minutes with him. He came into the room full of energy bumping into all of us. He had lost his eyesight probaly Monday night into today or is was starting to go out. He got by us and we got him to lay down on the floor. He relaxed right away and stopped panting and laid down and fell asleep as I rubbed his belly. Anytime I stopped to wipe away tears he reached out his paw and pushed me to contiune. So I did of course.

The vet came in and was surprised at how much his heavy breathing had calmed down and how he was so relaxed. The vet said he had bloody diarrhea earlier before we got there. After he was given the medicine he left us. He let out a lot of blood after he passed away. The vet said I made the right choice.

I'm just going to miss my greyhound so much. I loved Kentucky soooo much. My first ever dog. He was always by my side. Last week I scheduled to have my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow and I knew I was going to be okay because I could hug him with I get home. But now tomorrow he won't be there to hug. I am devesated but I know he's no longer in any pain. The vet thinks it was probably due to his kidney disease which he had since last year, but thinks either his heart started to go this weekend or it was the DIS. I'm glad I got to rub his belly one last time. I buried him in the backyard when I got home. I buried him with the original stuffed animal we got with him from NGAP in 2011.

I hope to get another greyhound someday but I will forever miss my Kentucky. Thank you all for helping.

Edited by KentuckyRock

Your love for Kentucky is so palpable. You gave him a very good life. :grouphug You had me crying at the "I got to rub his belly one last time".

I will add Kentucky's name to the list of Greytalk Bridge Angels in the Remembrance forum.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:(

So very, very sorry you had to say goodbye to your boy...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so very, very sorry. :grouphug Run with the angels sweet boy. :gh_run2

Edited by LaFlaca

I think you are very brave. My heart goes out to you on the loss of your beloved Kentucky. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry. It sounds like Kentucky is leaving a giant hole in your heart. Or maybe it is a very large paw print. It never goes away no matter how many other beloved dogs you have. You had to make one of the hardest decisions there is and you chose his comfort and allowed him to keep his dignity which I think was the right decision.

Run free sweet pup.