Hemangiosarcoma Diagnosis /we Are Devastated Yet Again

:weep It has been awhile since posting here and it is with horrible news. Flower, our almost 11 yr old(birthday is Fathers Day) Greyhound has just gone through a devastating week with diagnosis of bleeding Splenic mass last weds to emergency surgery the following day which revealed 1400 ml of blood in her abdomen and a ruptured mass. She barely made it off the table needing 2 Plasma transfusions and then Amicar, heart meds (Tachacardia) to keep her alive. She seemed to rally a bit but she was so weak that she declined when she came home 48 hours later and we had to bring her back on Monday. WE were not surprised it was Hemangio but her numbers were stable when she went in for procedure, she was running 2 days before, we are shocked and devastated. She is stable and able to walk now that she is off opiods and heart med but her appetite is not great, when she was admitted back in to intensive care she could not get up and had bloody discharge from her nose, we thought she needed transfusion but her numbers are low but stable, her platelets are low but have remained the same. Any chemo treatment is off table as she is too weak, we are taking her home tomorrow if she is strong enough and will give her a little more time at home. I have called the in home euthanization Vet to give heads up as my gut tells me we have a short time. She is my 2nd Greyhound to be given this lousy diagnosis and I have only had 3 Greys. I just needed to tell everyone here as many of you have been through this and know this pain. Any prayers are welcome.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

I lost two of my greys to hemangiosarcoma of the spleen/and or liver. They both bled out and they both had been fine in the morning and gone by days end. One was, also, 11, the other only 7. I am so sorry for your sad diagnosis.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Three here. More than I lost to OS.

First one was fine in the morning, died on the operating table that night. The second lasted 3 days after diagnosis. That was inoperable. The last (my heart and soul girl) survived surgery. Lasted 3 weeks, with only one day feeling good.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

I also lost one to hemangiosarcoma. I will never forget the shock when during the diagnostic exam I asked, ballpark, how much time do we have? "Maybe a month." I got nine days. My heart goes out to you, I am so sorry. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:( Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Still hoping and praying for Flower. Lost one girl to osteosarcoma and one to GME. My current nine year old has some issues that seem to be going away. He had the FU5 shots via my vet who only agreed to try it one time with the direction of Dr. Couto. At first it looked like they did not work as he got a third tumor where the second one was removed, then got a fourth one on his front leg. I was advised by three surgeons to amputate his left front leg to the shoulder. The tumors were so small and always local. The third one had gone away and the fourth one has basically disappeared. His blood test are not showing anything unusual. It is like the chemo kicked in a little later. I did also change his diet to turkey and chicken, supplements and yogurt and milk and bonebroth. That was about ten months ago. He plays like a dog that is about five or six. But does have some issues keeping up with his 3 year old companion. She likes to head butt him and we are working on that. I am taking this as a miracle that God has given me to have more time with him. Amen. I am praying for you and Flower. There is hope sometimes where there my appear to be none. My boy never raced, too big and came to me directly from the greyhound puppy farm at 18 months old.

Flower declined further last evening, I called around 10:00 to see if they were able to get her to eat or get her out to potty. She was too weak to get up and even with assistance she could not walk, needed to be carried. Her right rear leg had been dragging and for the 2 days she was here post op, it was cold, no circulation, last night the blood pooled into it, edema and by morning the other one was also swollen, she got more Amicar last night to help clot. I spent the whole night crying and awake and knew she was losing this battle, she never really had one good day since the surgery last Thursday. The Doctor told me this AM that she was not responding to treatment and that the blood pooling in places in her body was most likely the Hemangio. It was confirmed by Biopsy after mass was removed and we waited a week to get those results. MY plan was to bring her here to pass with in home euthanasia but she was in too much pain and too weak to handle a one hour ride home so we helped her cross over at the Hospital in a quiet room that was like a living room. I brought her pillow and my bathrobe and her favorite toy. We spent an hour with her beforehand, she was brought in on a gurney wrapped up in several comforters, she was lifted onto the bed and she never moved,she was relaxed on Buprenorphine and Gabapentin, she slept while we stroked her and I was able to do Reiki on her. She gave me one more smile before they injected her and was gone after 1st injection. I know it was the right thing to do, we all gave it our best, she lost so much blood and heroic efforts made but her body could not take anymore. I am so empty and crushed by her passing, we only had her for 4 years, she was given up by her 1st family at age 7 and although I feel blessed for this short time, it was not enough, she was a beautiful black girl with a sweet gentle nature. Will write a tribute when I can. Thanks for all your well wishes.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest goofydog2

Hated reading this update. You gave Flower a true forever home where she knew love and light until it was her time to pass. She knew how loved she was and passed with you by her side. As hard as it is we do what is best for them. Hugs and healing thoughts to all sho loved her. Godspeed Flower.

I am so sorry :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry to hear about Flower. It breaks my heart to hear that you had to go through this. God placed her with you for those four years because He knew that she would have the best home ever. Sometimes He calls them home early for reasons we will never know. I pray that you will have peace and solace during the time of grieving. You will have her in your heart forever until ;you are reunited one day. Greyhounds are forever. Amen.