Nite's Oral Melanoma Thread

Guest GreyKatie

Guest GreyKatie

I've seen a few melanoma threads, but not many (any?) that follow a course of treatment to completion. I would like to begin one to track my grey's diagnosis, treatment, and the eventual end (which I'm hoping is not for many many months / years).

Darcass the Nite

DOB: January 28, 2006

Adopted: July 1, 2011 in Columbus, Ohio

Mid-December 2016: I noticed some pain in Nitey's mouth when brushing his teeth, but couldn't see anything

December 29: When Nite had his mouth open and panting, I could see an ulcerated growth near the crease of his lips. Called the vet that day and had him in for an exam.

December 30: The 1 cm mass removed with 3 - 4 mm margins

January 3, 2017: It's amelanotic Canine Malignant Melanoma. It has a very aggressive nature (mitotic index greater than 20), though given its size, we have caught it relatively early.

January 9: Consult with oncologist. We had his lymph nodes aspirated for staging. Thoracic X-rays show no evidence of gross metastasis (lung mets are visible upon diagnosis in only 13% of cases of CMM).

January 10: Lymphs clear; Nite is Stage 1. Oncologist says it's crucial to have local control and systemic control. Local control options: 1) Radiation 2) Partial mandibulectomy to achieve 1 - 2 cm margins 3) Decide that the existing 3 - 4 mm margins are good enough. Systemic control options: 1) Chemotherapy 2) Melanoma vaccine, aka Oncept

January 12: We ran his chart past Dr. Cuoto. Cuoto recommends Oncept.

We decided against radiation because of the cost ($6000) and the fact that it would require 4 5-day vet stays in one month (he is a nervous wreck at the vet). We also decided against mandibulectomy, partly because of the cost ($3000) and because we are OK with betting we got good margins given the early stage of his cancer. Any remaining cancer cells should ideally be killed with the help of this vaccine.

January 16: Nite had his first dose of Oncept. At the appointment, his lymph nodes were palpated (normal), temp and other vitals taken, and he was given a shot on the inside of his left thigh.

Here is what the mass looked like the day I finally discovered it. Because it's amelanotic, it is just pink ("normal" melanomas are black), and looks kinda like an ulcer.

It's the dark red thing right inside the crease of his lips.

o8ihll.jpg

Wow, good catch on your part! Hope treatment is successful.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Alex, our first greyhound, had amelanotic malignant melanoma. It appeared between his lower front two incisors. We went with the mandibulectomy and had those teeth removed plus a small portion of the lower jaw that held those teeth. His lower lip was then pulled back over the surgical site. Other than he drooled a bit more at certain times and if you knew where to look, you'd never know he'd had surgery. This was around 15 years ago, though, so I'd suspect you have more treatment options than we did. Ultimately it was not what took him and that didn't happen until years later. It's very good that you caught it early. My best wishes for his treatment.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Oh no! Not Nite! :( I'm glad to hear that he's giving it the good fight and fingers crossed he's got this beat!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• 1 month later...
Guest GreyKatie

January 30: Second melanoma vaccine. Doc checked lymph nodes and visual check of tumor site (no visible regrowth). Nite exhibited zero bruising, zero pain / tenderness at injection site. No lameness.

February 13: Third melanoma vaccine. Same as previous appointment.

February 27: Final dose of melanoma vaccine. Bruising developed immediately and spread over the next 5 hours. It started about the size of half a sheet of paper. By 5 hours, it had darkened and spread to his entire inner thigh and down to his hock. He is fairly lame on the leg and uncomfortable when changing positions at rest. Oncologist isn't super worried, and he is tolerating ice.

First photo is 2 hours post injection. Second photo is 5 hours. Third photo is 16 hours (the black line near the tuft of white fur is bruising).

Next up: a follow up in 3 months to do thoracic radiographs, a visual check of the primary tumor site (his mouth), and a check of his lymph nodes (not sure if this will be aspiration or just palpation). Then, another melanoma vaccine injection at six months, so early September.

egd8qu.jpg2mer6sy.jpg33uqt5z.jpg

Many thanks for your sharing. I knew about oncept from an american horses' forum, we still don't have it here in Italy but a friend's horse developed melanoma and that's why I'm looking for any possible advice.

Finger crossed and hugs for Nite!

• 5 months later...
Guest GreyKatie

Another update:

After his fourth dose of vaccine, which caused extensive bruising, the vet prescribed an herbal remedy called Yunnan Baiyao. I'd never heard of it before, and I tend to be skeptical of herbal remedies. But this stuff worked SO well. The blood dispersed quickly, and within two days there was very little evidence of the massive amount of blood that had been under his skin. We will definitely use this again if we ever have bleeding issues with our pups.

August 17, 2017: Nite had his 6-month post initial treatment follow up. The oncologist did a general exam, listened to his heart and lungs, looked in his mouth, etc. Then we left him there to have chest x-rays done. If his X-rays were clear, that would mean there was no indication of systemic spread. If they were not clear, we would have to reevaluate the treatment plan and accept that the melanoma vaccine wasn't working.

But ... we got the all clear! Nite appears healthy, with no evidence of systemic spread. His mouth looks normal, and his lungs look healthy (though she said they look typically "busy," meaning they show a lifetime of racing, occasional illness, etc).

He got another dose of the vaccine, this time administered by the vet herself, instead of a tech. No bleeding this time.

Next up: 6-month follow up in February for another exam and dose of Oncept.

The pathology report indicated that dogs with the same negative prognostic factors (mitotic index greater than 3 (Nite's tumor was >20), nuclear atypia, location of tumor) had an average survival time of 145 days. It was so painful to read. We are at 232 days and counting now, and hoping for the best.

20881840_10101895633417383_5565105562260

• 1 month later...
Guest GreyKatie

We said goodbye to Nitey on September 24.

I was brushing his teeth and he screamed. I opened his mouth to find it riddled with tumors. They had grown in the 6 weeks since his follow up when he got the all clear. Given the aggressive nature, and oral melanoma's invasiveness to the bone, we feared a pathological fracture if we waited too long.

We said goodbye before that could happen. It was so hard, because he was still his usually silly self. He wasn't eating his usual amount of breakfast, but he was prancing in the yard with our other (non-greyhound) dog that morning. Really hard.

"He was my simple boy. Nervous about new situations and afraid of his own shadow, yet sweet and gentle to a fault, he liked his things: food, sleeping on our bed, and squeakies. He never asked for or needed anything more.

Around the time of his diagnosis, we passed the halfway mark. He'd been with us for more of his life than not. It was an important marker: this simple boy was a pet longer than he was just a dog. He was loved for more of his life than he wasn't.

What do I want people to know about Nitey? I'm not sure. He was just a simple everyday hero. He gave blood at Ohio State for years, anonymously saving so many canine lives. He was my shoulder to cry on, because Cal is not a fan of tears. His sensitive nature reminded us to always find patience and kindness.

Now he is teaching us, for the first time, to let go. We said goodbye to him before the cancer could take his breath, before the pain could steal his blissful simple joy.

Rest easy, my sweet Nitey. My soulful, sweet, simple boy.

Darcass the Nite

January 28, 2006 - September 24, 2017"

I will add Nitey's name to the list of September Bridge Angels. I am so sorry that he had to leave you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My heart breaks for you. Such a wonderful friend Nitey was to you, and you to him. I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Darcass the Nite. What a fabulous name for a great, great dog. Godspeed brave boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, Nite.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.