How Many Greyhounds Sleep Startle?

Guest 3breys

I know this is common with greys, but anyone have any idea how many of them do it? As in lunge and bite whatever touched them? Think most of them, half of them, etc?

My girl bit my head the other day because I rolled over onto her paw in bed in my sleep- obviously it startled both of us and her reaction was to just open mouth headbutt me-- didn't feel too great, had a tooth embedded in my forhead- but was equally both of our faults lol. My girl does sleep startle a lot though, shell just cry out in a yelp that scares the piss out of me, other than that i'm pretty sure its normal.

No way for anyone to know that with any real accuracy. And the level of response is going to vary dramatically among the dogs that do have some reaction. For instance, many will simple growl or do a single air snap rather than escalating to stronger reactions, including actual bites. A lot of dogs also do less of it over time or with behavior modification.

I wouldn't even feel comfortable giving you a guess based on the dogs I've had through my house (over 60 fosters plus many others that I've dogsat) because my fosters weren't permitted on the furniture and I was generally smart enough not to disturb them when they were resting.

I'm not even sure I would feel confident calling it common, but I will say I think it's more likely than in other breeds that haven't been spending a lot of their time and sleeping in crates undisturbed like these guys have.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

One of my three and it gets better over time. He just gets used to his humans occupying the same spot he is in. We came from snapping to a very pissed look for disturbing his beauty sleep. I can live with the look.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Of my four, only one has ever had it and he's now fine with DH and I. Hurrah for anecdata!

:lol Maybe if everyone reports both the total number of greyhounds they've had and how many had sleep startle we can total it all up and I can run some statistical analyses to make myself feel better. :P

Here's my contribution - of my 3, all 3 have had it to some degree (none would bite) and in all 3 cases it was also resolved through time (1), training (1), or behavior modification (1).

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Of my six, none. Not to the extent of growling, snapping or biting.

I've had two who - just at first - would wake with a bit of a start and give me the stink-eye .. the worst Jack did was give a little squeak a couple of times when he was really new. I'm not sure I'd even really call that 'sleep startle' in the true sense of the word, it was more a 'where am I, who are you? Oh yes, I live here now, don't I?'

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Two out of nine here. Mickey would growl and snap, but grew out of it. Maybe he got used to my movements on the bed, or maybe he just started sleeping more soundly as he got older. Ace growls and lunges or jumps up. Every once in a while he air snaps. I've had him two years, but he has only been on the bed every night since I lost the other two bed sleepers in September and November. He usually does it at least once a night, unless I make sure that he is aware that I'm getting into the bed. I have a tempurpedic mattress, so he probably isn't aware of my movements until I actually touch him.

I dont know. I always call to him before touching if I think he is asleep. I HATE being woken myself. Being touched while asleep causes me to jump and feel panic..So I dont disturb others when sleeping.

HE has his own bed, doesnt get on the couch as he hasnt worked out he can jump up on things..LOL Hubby kicks in his sleep so I'd not allow dog on bed for that reason.

One (our first greyhound Gracie) out of 12. Took her about 2 years to completely grow out of it.

One foster out of 4. She never grew out of it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't count nearly as much as the others because I have only one Greyhound but Annie has never had sleep startle or any negative responses to anything where she growled, snapped or bit (she runs and hides). A good friend has 5 houndies, and only one has sleep startle but only to the extent of growling.

Murray had a terrible case of sleep aggression when we adopted him. He grew out of it after two or three years.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Of the eight adoptees we've had, three have had sleep startling. And all three were severe cases. Of those three, two did eventually get over it enough to be completely safe to sleep with, and one did not.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

First Greyhound not at all. current greyhound, Conrad will bark at DW once he is on the bed. DW now asks him NOT to bark when she walks by him.

sometimes he sorta barks at the cat, the next thing I know is the cat is sitting on my HEAD :yikes

Mild and resolved fairly quickly with one (the only one not-fostered), none with the other three.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Misty, who is usally a sweet and friendly girl, will growl and look glassy-eyed, as if she does not recognize us, if we try to cuddle her at night. She has done this the whole time we have had her (10 years) and shows no signs of outgrowing it. I just give her space after bedtime. She has always wanted her own bed next to ours.

Of my two, Rudy has it but Cole doesn't. Rudy has improved and doesn't startle as easily but he still does it (after almost three years). He barks/snarls but hasn't bitten.

Out of two of my own, one foster and four regular house guests....only one had a mild case and she grew out of it in time.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest MarieKlaus

My first Grey was a very young puppy when I got him and he never sleep startled. Klaus, on the other hand, was a year old and his sleep startle is at the top of the charts. He sleeps on his doggie bed now and I'm very careful walking around him when he's resting. I hope he can outgrow it, he's almost 3 years old now.