Some Good Thoughts Needed For Niles

My friend Ben's lovely nine year old boy Niles has been off colour for about a week now, he's usually quite a fussy eater but it has been harder than ever to get him to eat anything, he seems to be nauseous, although he has only been sick a couple of times. Ben took him to the vet this afternoon and they have done a full blood panel, we are waiting for the results of that.

Best case scenario is a GI infection that will hopefully clear up with antibiotics etc. worst case is possibly liver or kidney failure.

Niles is very special to both Ben and to me so if you could spare some good thoughts we would appreciate it.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Sending a prayer to support for Niles and Ben.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sending positive thoughts for Niles and Ben. Please let us know how he gets on.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Best thoughts for Niles. Keep us posted, please.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ben just phoned to let me know the results of the blood panel, it is pointing towards either Pancreatitis or liver failure, neither of which sound too promising. :(

He is getting so weak and disinterested due to not getting enough to eat, but we are trying to tempt him, it's not easy when he was already such a fusspot :rolleyes: we are trying to remain optimistic, he is being put on a course of steroids and we will wait to see if he shows improvement in the next few days.

Your continued thoughts and prayers would be very much appreciated.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest Siamanti18

Hello

I am Ben, Niles owner and Scullysmum friend. I am not sure the exact reasons why Niles was put on steroids. Vet gave me a lot of numbers and said liver and pancreatitis are the things the blood work indicate. To answer the question why he is not hospitalized is that an ultrasound and xray were the only options mentioned and Niles does not cope well with Vets or anaesthetic. In addition, he shows no signs of dehydration and drinks normally. He has not thrown up either over the last 24 hours. He just does not eat and is quite lethargic. I am really not ready for him to leave me. He is one of a kind my dear boy and his sister Chrissie, Scullysmum and her boy Jonny all truly love him. I don't want to say goodbye to another love of my life, though of course I know we all have to let go of our animals at some point. I am not a believer but please keep your healing thoughts coming.

Edited by Siamanti18

{{{{{{{{{{Niles & Ben}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good thoughts for Niles.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Both pancreatitis and liver issues are potential problems with dogs taking seizure meds and some of these people have used Dr. Dodds liver cleansing diet. I can't say whether they were successful or not, just throwing it out there (my Lucy has seizures). I included a link to the diet - note, it is located on an canine epilepsy site.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Liver%20cleansing%20diet.htm

Note, my Lucy is on a white fish, rice, and veggie diet for IBD which has worked well for her so far.

Hoping Niles gets through this.

Guest Siamanti18

Here are the results of the blood test the Vet send me: Niles has started to eat since taking the steroids and pees much more. He seems brighter but is still uncomfortable when walking.

ALB=22 slow ALKP=51 ALT=1124 high AMLY=1633 high cal=2.2 Chol=5.3 crea=84 glu=5.4 phos=1.89 tbil=4 tp=53 urea=6.3 wbc=10.00 lym#=1.4 Mon#=0.8 Gran#=7.8 rbc#=8.41

HGB=20.2 sl high HCT=50.3 MCV=59.7 sl low plt=253 na=123 sl low k=4.5 cl=139 high

He is on prednisone and metronidazole as well a milk thistle

Would be grateful if someone more learned than me has more suggestions on the values

Thanks and still hoping

Ben

Niles seemed to be so much better at lunch time today, he was full of life and loving the sunny weather today. He ate all the lamb and chicken that I put in front of him, but this evening when Ben called me he told me that Niles didn't want to go for his evening walk and looked like he was in discomfort. My heart breaks for him, he's not mine but I love him like he is and Johnny has quite the "bromance" going on with him now which I would hate to see come to an end so soon.