Some Good Thoughts Needed For Niles

In bold I've added US greyhound normal values from both Dr Stack and Dr Couto.

(To tbhounds, please correct me if I'm off on these.)

ALB=22 slow

ALKP=51

ALT=1124 high

AMLY=1633 high

cal=2.2

Chol=5.3

crea=84 creatinine per Dr Stack .8-1.6 and per Dr Couto 1.0-1.7

glu=5.4

phos=1.89

tbil=4 tp=53

urea=6.3

wbc=10.00 per Dr Stack 3.5-6.5 and per Dr Couto 3.5-6.9

lym#=1.4

Mon#=0.8

Gran#=7.8

rbc#=8.41 per Dr Stack 7.4-9.0

HGB=20.2 sl high per Dr Stack 19.0-21.5

HCT=50.3 per Dr Stack 55%-65% and per Dr Couto 50%-70%

MCV=59.7 sl low

plt=253,000 platelets per dr Stack 80,000-200,000 and Dr Couto 110,000-205,000

na=123 sl low

k=4.5 cl=139 high

Please get better Niles. :dogcookie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

So sorry to hear that Niles is still suffering. Has the vet suggested what to feed him? I'm pretty sure when I had hepatitis years ago my doctor told me to stick to a low fat and low protein diet for a while, and this would be indicated for pancreatitis too.

Hoping for some improvement soon. :candle

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Siamanti18

Hello and thank you for the kind thoughts and help. I will try and keep you updated as it gives me something to do and stops me from reading too much on the internet with all the horrors attached to liver problems. Anyway, Niles has started eating again. He picks out mostly the chicken with a little egg and Chappie which was recommended to me but he is definitely interested in food again. This morning he has been very keen to go for a walk with me and Scullysmum and was actually really bouncy. He even did a little dance (his nick name is dancing boy because of his fabulous dancing routine) for Johnny and Scullysmum. He pees and awful lot now (no doubt an effect of the steroids) but does not drink more than usual. The only thing he has not done for 30 hours now is a poo though he shows no obvious signs of discomfort. He is on 15mg of prednisolone two times a day, metronidazole and milk thistle. He is meant to take the prednisolone full dose for a week but then reduce it to 15mg once a day. Is there any chance the dose could be reduced earlier as I am a little worried about the peeing now and the lack of pooing. Please keep the good thoughts and advice coming, it is appreciated.

If he didn't eat much for a few days, he might not have to poop.

Prednisone does that -- increased drinking (maybe he's sneaking some extra drinks in?), thus increased peeing. In my experience that effect lasts about a week. I usually don't wait for the dog to ask to go out; I take him @ every 2 hours during the day and @ 6 hours overnight (so much for a full night's sleep).

Glad he is doing better!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the increased peeing as it's completely normal with steroids and will go back to normal as the dose reduces. I assume he's on the steroids for their anti-inflammatory effect, and perhaps this is why he's feeling better, so I wouldn't worry about trying to reduce them sooner. 30mg isn't a big dose for a big boy and he's only going to be on that dose for a week. I know it's inconvenient having to take him out more often, but it'll soon pass. I doubt that the lack of pooing has anything to do with the steroids and, as Batmom says, is more likely because he hasn't been eating much.

Hope the improvement continues. :goodluck

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

We seem to have our old Niles back.....he has much more energy and is enjoying his walks again, I also can say that I never thought I would see him eating Chappie :lol he tucks into everything offered to him, I know that's the steroids but long may it last.

....and the best news of all? He pooped :yay

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and sage advice, we may not be out of the woods yet but I think he's on the right track :)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

So glad to see that Niles is doing better. What a relief to see him eating heartily again and taking walks. It certainly sounds like Niles is on the path to recovery.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Siamanti18

Hello kind people of Greytalk

I just thought I give you a short update on Niles. Niles seems to do quite well on the Prednisolone, apart from the peeing side effect but we can cope with that. He is not full of energy but he eats three small meals a day now with a bit of coaxing and roast chicken to make it extra special. He is also quite happy to go on his three walks again now. He potters along but seems comfortable enough . I have given him the final antibiotic tonight and on Friday we will reduce the Steroids to half the dose and see how he copes. Please keep the good thoughts coming.

Thanks

Siamanti

Hope he is continuing to improve!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good update. Hope he continues to improve every day.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown