Very Sick Grey...advice Needed Not Sure How To Proceed Or If To Procee

Guest alannamac

This is wonderful and heartwarming.

Sure fire things that work here is rice with some stock, helps keep the dehydration down too, since they are just lapping up the liquid. Pasta always works as well. Have you tried Satin Balls? I think that might be too much, too fast, too soon for that, but it's something different and if you make it smelly enough might be of interest? There are several different recipies around but they all involve ground meat, cereal, oatmeal, wheat germ, eggs etc. and it's fed raw.

Continuing the prayers over here..... :hope

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, random thought, but if you need to keep up hydration or possibly for mixing into food to entice him, my dogs loooove coconut water. We stock the VitaCoco pineapple, but I am guessing any would work. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We had to limit protein sources in our IBD situation. But for extra calories we used vanilla Ensure, original formula (so it's not too rich). We started with 1/3 bottle per day, went to 1/2, and then 1/2 twice a day, going slow to make sure we didn't induce diarrhea. It's about 220 calories/bottle, 9 grams protein. That would help with the hydration too.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

That is great news your boy is improving. Continued good thoughts!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest alannamac

Well he's back in the hospital today for more hetastarch IV to keep his blood vessels working properly til his albumin levels come back.....His fluid buildup began again yesterday and was pretty pronounced by evening. He's still ok and moving in positive direction just needs hetastarch to keep his blood volume and components where they should be rather than in his belly and legs.

Just in case anyone in the Tidewater VA area is looking for a good vet, Seaford Veterinary Hospital in Yorktown VA absolutely ROCKS! The docs and technicians and staff are caring, compassionate, dedicated and absolutely fabulous in all ways!

He's still eating cookies and his spirit and attitude are there so things are still looking good!

Thanks again for your good thoughts and food suggestions!

Edited by alannamac

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alannamac

Red passed last Saturday morning. His recoveries were only temporary and he tanked again twice. He was losing protein through his bowels and kidneys and everything we transfused in, came right back out again. He would not eat anything for days, ..even Vanilla wafers, was swollen with edema so badly he could not walk, was weak and clearly suffering so I made the difficult decision.

My vet said she would have done the same thing so I feel better at least about it but I miss my baby terribly and feel like my going on vacation was the cause of his death it all happened so quickly. Trying to find answers.

I am sorry I was hoping to keep the thread open to post Red's autopsy results before it was locked, but I guess I can do that in another post once I hear the final results.

Thank you all for your good wishes and advice. It was hopeful there for a while but whatever happened was severe and unrecoverable. Your kind words, support and thoughtful advice helped me so much and I am grateful. It was nice to know that I was not alone by times trying to help him.

He was too young. I'm so sorry. :weep:crying

I too lost a 5 yr old. I brought her in with protein losing enteropathy. Turned out her liver was non-functioning. Her liver enzyme test were always ok, it wasn't until we did a liver function test that the values went flying thru the roof.

I took her to U of Penn for a second opinion. She never made it home.

:grouphug

:f_red I am so sorry! I just read through the entire thread and thought for sure he had turned the corner. My heart sank when I read your last post. I know you are missing him right now. Sending prayers for your heart to heal. This one makes my heart hurt for you.

Edited by greymomnc
greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Oh, what a shock to read this terrible news. We were all praying that Red would pull through. I am heartbroken for you, but hope that you take comfort in knowing that you did your very best for Red. I am so sorry.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

You and your vets tried so hard :( .

Godspeed, Red.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My words seem so inadequate. I am so very sorry for your broken heart. :grouphug

Godspeed Red.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. There really aren't any words. I hope the autopsy will give you some answers so you have a little closure at least. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."