Polly Losing So Much Weight, Not Doing Well

I'm feeling really down today. I'd missed Bredlo's thread about beautiful Nell, and just saw that they lost their precious girl. The thread is locked, and I can't reply. My heart is breaking for them, and I'm sitting here in tears.

Polly is really down today too. Our vet put her on more antibiotics, but it was the cephalexin, which she can't take! I couldn't remember if it was that exactly, so she had 2 capsules. Today, she had liquid yellow diarrhea. I called the vet, and she was so apologetic. She'll take the meds back and give her something else. I need to talk to the vet. Doug has talked to her when she called, and he doesn't ask enough questions. I'm writing down all your suggestions---I so appreciate them. Her bloodwork is not remarkable. I have to double check about the urinalysis---there may be something that's not back yet. I even had Doug drop off another stool sample yesterday.

The spark seems to have gone from Polly's eyes. Maybe it's because she feels bad because of the damn cephalexin. I hope so. I just feel so helpless.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

The spark seems to have gone from Polly's eyes. Maybe it's because she feels bad because of the damn cephalexin. I hope so. I just feel so helpless.

I know how you feel. We thought we would lose Sid twice - once was when he was put on a painkiller (Vetergesic) which didn't agree with him. I had never seen a dog so miserable, scared and plain 'out of it' and depressed. The vet thought he'd had a stroke. He was back to his usual self after he got it out of his system, thank heavens. The second time was when he was in so much pain with the huge corn on his single back foot and on multiple painkillers. He was so NOT enjoying life and I knew that if we couldn't find the problem and deal with it we'd have to let him go because of the pain and distress he was in. Thank heavens for the vet school that dealt with that for us. :hope

You are in such a difficult position. Nobody wants to drag out their beloved dog's existence if there is no joy and no hope, and yet we must not give up too soon if there's a chance we ca help, once a dx is made and the right treatment found. I truly hope that the vet can come up with something very soon to dx and deal with Polly's problems, poor girl. :grouphug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

:grouphug I hope Polly bounces back. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Just seeing this now. Thinking of you and Polly. We've got a house full of seniors too. It's so easy to think the worse when they're not feeling well.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I'm hoping she's feeling better now that the cephalexin has had time to get out of her system. Nadir had a similar reaction to it also and like Polly he couldn't afford to lose weight as it was. Please let us know how she is doing, I do worry when I don't see any updates. In the meantime my continued good thoughts are with Polly and you.

:grouphug

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sorry I haven't updated---no real news. We let her system calm down a bit before starting the new meds. We'll re-evaluate after that. She didn't eat much this morning, but otherwise is eating okay. Poop back to normal. I just looked at the problem foot. After looking good for a while---due to the convenia and antirobe, I guess, it's looking bad again. :(

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown