Polly Losing So Much Weight, Not Doing Well

I'm worried about Polly. She has had several long term and recurring problems for a few years. She gets strange infections---several times in the vulva, several times in her left hind foot. They clear up with meds, but the one in her foot comes back. Then the meds she tolerated before don't agree with her. She throws up, stops eating. And the meds don't help much anyway. And she has terrible teeth that we should have taken care of years ago, and hesitated because she just seemed so frail. Now our vet doesn't think she's a good candidate for a dental---she's developed a heart murmur, and the changes in the foot are suspicious. So we'll try and help the mouth situation with antibiotics. I got tired of fooling around with the different meds, and about 1-2 months ago, asked if Polly could have a convenia shot. I know it's a really good, albeit expensive, antibiotic, but I wanted to see if it would help. So she got one---$90. :yikes But it sure helped. Her mouth and foot look better. She had a re-check, and our vet suggested trying another med---antirobe---that is good for dental problems, and she did well on that too. But we need to take her back again. Our vet suggested bloodwork, and I think we need to do it. Polly has lost A LOT of weight. She eats well, but has gotten very bony. She will be 13 in July. I know they do look a bit more bony as they age, but I think this is extreme. My question is, because Doug thinks she is just old, and probably doesn't need bloodwork, because what would it show, what WOULD it show? Polly will get the bloodwork anyway---I'm paying for it---but I just want to tell him why it is a good idea.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear Polly is not doing well :(. Is she still eating then same amount that use to maintain her weight? Will she eat more if you increase the amount? How are her stools, are they firm or more like cow patty plops? Just wondering if she's eating good, but not maintaining weight if something related to poor food absorption, like EPI is going on.

It might show all kinds of things! Kidney disease, blood disorders, liver disease, infections, endocrine disorders like Cushings, Addisons, diabetes, mineral imbalances ...

I feel for you and Polly. It's not easy treating an old dog with multiple problems and a bad mouth that she can't have fixed. I guess what the Doug is really saying isn't 'what would it show' but 'what, realistically, could we do about what it shows'. To me, that is not a good reason for not doing the blood panel. I think we need to know what we are dealing with in order to make the best possible decision - even if that decision ends up being 'do nothing'.

Good luck with Polly. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It might show all kinds of things! Kidney disease, blood disorders, liver disease, infections, endocrine disorders like Cushings, Addisons, diabetes, mineral imbalances ...

I feel for you and Polly. It's not easy treating an old dog with multiple problems and a bad mouth that she can't have fixed. I guess what the Doug is really saying isn't 'what would it show' but 'what, realistically, could we do about what it shows'. To me, that is not a good reason for not doing the blood panel. I think we need to know what we are dealing with in order to make the best possible decision - even if that decision ends up being 'do nothing'.

Agree with Judy 100%. Better to know what you are up against, than to not know.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I agree with this too. You need to know what you are dealing with. Need to make sure that it's not causing her pain or something that may cause her pain.

I agree too! Doug frustrates me sometimes. I am rather pragmatic about not doing heroic measures that would cause more stress than the good they do, but I don't think Polly is at the end of the line. We may just be able to get a handle on her weight loss.

Her stools are very normal. She is eating well, and we might try giving her a bit more. The only time she had problems in that area was when she was on something that upset her stomach. She probably does need to have the stools and urine checked too, so I'll do that.

I think she does have some arthritic pain. We were waiting till she finished the antirobe to try anything for that. We have some tramadol---I will ask the vet if we should be using that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon

Guest greytkidsmom

Bloodwork may give you some more information about her condition as well as help the vet dose her medications correctly. Example: if she has some kidney issues, doses of some medications should be decreased.

:bighug Can you try adding some extra protein to her meals? Doc has struggled to keep weight on at times and that was always our vet's advice, apparently it is easier for greyhounds in general and the oldies in particular to metabolise than extra dry food or carbs. Some raw mince, beef or lamb - cheap and relatively fatty is fine, provided your girl has no pancreatic issues - was always her first suggestion. Or a couple of scrambled eggs, or some boiled chicken, with the broth but stripped of it bones, or a small tin of sardines are all very popular additions to meals here, for my old chap.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

We have a vet's appt. on Saturday. I'll get urine and stool samples, and do the bloodwork. It's a good idea to add some protein to her diet. She eats as much as Calvin, who is in danger of becoming a sausage. Beef, eggs, chicken and sardines all sound good!

Thanks for the advice as well as the hugs!

We had our vet appt. this afternoon, and did bloodwork. It was sent out, so I won't know the results till next week. We brought stool and urine samples---stool was normal, but urine showed bacteria, and "losing protein". I'm sorry if I'm not sure if that is right, but it does indicate a kidney problem? We'll know more when we get the bloodwork back. Our vet wants to wait till then, but it's possible Polly will go back on the antirobe. It's really helped her mouth.

She's actually gained 2 pounds since her first visit for related problems about 2 months ago. I do think she looks bad, though. My sweet little lady. We're starting her on extras with her meals---sardines, chicken. And she got a cheeseburger when we got home. :D

I was wondering how the appointment went today. If she has protein in her urine (proteinuria) no matter how little she should have a UPC (urine protein creatinine) run if the sample returns inactive. I'm assuming they checked the urine in hospital and then sent the rest to the lab?? Did they culture the urine before starting the antibiotics?? Glad she gained weight :-)

I was wondering how the appointment went today. If she has protein in her urine (proteinuria) no matter how little she should have a UPC (urine protein creatinine) run if the sample returns inactive. I'm assuming they checked the urine in hospital and then sent the rest to the lab?? Did they culture the urine before starting the antibiotics?? Glad she gained weight :-)

Yes, they checked the sample, and sent the rest out. No antibiotics started today, but she'd been on the antirobe before we did the urine sample. I'm not familiar with a UPC---what would that show?

I second that. It would help to clarify if there's a kidney problem or if the protein was not significant/due to something else. High bacteria count in the urine can cause a protein reading.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Our vet called yesterday with part of the bloodwork results, but we weren't home. I think I'll wait to hear about the rest, and the rest of the urinalysis. She said the liver and kidney values look good. The only thing that concerned her is that Polly is anemic. I'm not sure what would cause that. I'll ask about this when we talk over the complete results, but any ideas about the anemia?

She is eating really well, and the stools are still very normal. We've been giving her a tramadol with breakfast. She doesn't want to walk much, only sniff. I take all the other dogs, then take her and Tess (who is on her 3rd walk by this time, and doesn't care if it's short :lol ) just halfway down the block and back so she can pee and sniff. She's started not wanting to come upstairs to bed this week, so we're just letting her sleep on the couch. She just seems so old all of a sudden. :(

Anemia can develop from many causes. The easiest fix would be to de-worm. Intestinal parasites (esp hooks) can cause anemia.

When you receive the rest of the CBC results ask if they did a reticulyte count--that would help you determine if she's generating new cells vs her bone marrow pooping out. You said her renal values are ok?? Pets with renal insuffency can become anemic too ( kidneys produce a hormone that tells the marrow to make more cells).

Just sending our best cyberhugs to Miss Pollywollydoodle.

PS: I don't know if you call her Pollywollydoodle, but how could you have a dog named Polly and KNOT call her Pollywollydoodle?

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter