Lucas (Driven By Reggie) 8/5/2004 - 11/16/2013

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Lucas was DH's dog - he wrote this list of things that he wanted to remember about him.

I Miss Lucas (by DH)

• How he would scratch (sometimes several times) during the night for me to cover him up
  • How he needed to smell everything... Sniff, sniff
  • When he would 'cockroach' on the couch, even if that meant putting his paw squarely in my face
  • His bendy nose
  • Sniff, sniff
  • His cute soft groans when I scratched his ears just right
  • His adorable overbite
  • How he wouldn't eat fish oil pills
  • Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff
  • How he avoided anything in his bowl that was abnormal (except chicken)
  • How he would go straight to the chicken in his bowl, when it was there
  • Sniff, sniff
  • How he would swallow the pill pockets with Pepcid but bite the ones with Tramadol (which resulted in spitting out the bitter pill)
  • Someone saying "I've never seen an all-white one before"
  • His beautiful hazel eyes
  • How he would put his head into the 'opening' corner of a door jamb to indicate his desire (or desperation at the Vet) to go out
  • How he would go to the door, then come and tell you when he needed to go outside
  • When he'd growl if you touched his feet
  • When he would rub against the wall when his skin itched
  • How he would rub against a recently used towel whenever given the opportunity
  • How he would want to go out but wherever you went he would whine and cry until you took him home
  • How he would put his head into the harness correctly because he was so excited to go on a walk
  • When he would claim the couch all to himself
  • When he would share the couch with his sister (or less frequently, his brother)
  • When he determined he liked a bed and always wanted to be on it
  • Sniff, sniff
  • His complete distrust for any dog that didn't look like a greyhound
  • How very happy he was to be on the couch with his human(s)
  • He couldn't go 'number 2' when we were away from home
  • He would run away from the spot where he went 'number 2'
  • Sniff.

We had talked about getting a white dog (half joking/half serious) after attending Mountain Hounds in 2006. One collar maker had collars on sale - buy 2, get 1 free. We only had 2 dogs at the time. We chose collars for our two and when looking for a third found a beautiful red collar. We both said at the same time "that would look beautiful on a white dog." That collar sat in a drawer for long time.

I hadn't been able to get on GT because I never had a "real" email address. We moved to another state and with my new job came an email address that GT would accept. I was so excited to get on because everyone that I knew who had greyhounds talked about it. I dutifully checked every thread and posted my responses. Before I knew it I kept coming back to this thread with a beautiful white dog who was having trouble finding a home. I showed DH who was far more interested than I ever expected. As fate would have it, he was with a group that our first adoption representative had moved to. She knew both of our dogs and thought that he would be a good fit. A nice couple drove him to our house for a sleep-over. He and DH fell in love with each other and when the couple came back the next morning Lucas was wearing his new red collar.

Lucas came with a lot of issues. He had been bounced from one home and spent a year in foster care. He had space issues and didn't want you anywhere near his feet. Before long he was on the couch on his back next to DH. His dashing good looks drew attention everywhere we went but his silly clownish ways kept us smiling.

We never expected him to be the first to go. He was our youngest - he turned 9 in August. He had already had his health "scare" having survived a very nasty brown recluse bite just a few months before. A little over a month ago while DH was visiting family Lucas started limping. Something deep down told me it was bad. I didn't tell DH about it until he was on his way home so he wouldn't worry while he was away. I got him to the vet 9 days later. It wasn't our regular vet but she was kind and listened. I told her that he was a greyhound, he had a limp, and I wanted shoulder and wrist films please. At first she tried to get the films without sedation which did not go well. She told me she would have to sedate him and I said "fine, shoulder and wrist please." When she came back to show me the films I think she was surprised with what she saw. There in the right shoulder was that telltale spot that turns your stomach into knots.

We went to NC State for what I thought would be an amp. I was prepared. I had a tripod harness, we had a ramp to the backyard, I had the week off, and I had sent emails to OSU for chemo and to Penn State for the vaccine study. We were as ready as we would ever be.

Except...

We left him for his preop workup and while we were out we got a call from the resident. She said that he yelped whenever she manipulated his left knee. She recommended x-rays before we went any further. When we came back to get him that evening we had evidence by FNA that the shoulder lesion was a sarcoma but also that there was a lesion in his knee as well. No amp, not now. Now we needed a bone scan. The bone scan showed areas in his right shoulder, left knee, pelvis and spine. We came home with pain meds and a plan to discuss palliative radiation.

Lucas was happy to be home. DH was out of town for the week and I had to work 5 nights in row. Our neighbor/friend/dog walker tucked them in at night and fed them breakfast. I came home early one morning to find her still at the house sitting with Lucas and petting him. He was eating and seemed to be getting back to himself. Friday I got home and noticed that his right shoulder had a golfball sized growth that hadn't been there before. He had trouble getting up and down the stairs. He had trouble doing his business outside. DH came home that night and we decided that it was time. 30 days from that first limp. 16 days from that first x-ray. Too fast, too soon.

We had never done this before. Our dog sitter came over to see him Saturday morning before we left. We all sat there and cried together. We went to the vets office and she had a quiet room that didn't look at all like an exam room all set up for us. The tech that always did his nail trims and took care of him during his spider bite came in on her day off to see him and to give us hugs. Our vet was awesome. She talked us through the whole process.

Just like that our sweet boy was gone. We cried and petted him and cried some more. We were lost when we got home so we went to the only place I could think of where people would understand. We went to PetSmart to our local groups meet and greet. Without words they knew what we were going through.

We brought him home on Monday. We wrapped him in the yellow monkey pajamas that he wouldn't wear because it meant we would have to touch his feet. We put the white WWW harness that Miss Alicia made especially for him, his tags, and the thoughtful cards we received from our vet and our friends and family. Then we cried some more. For the time being he is hanging out discretely in the living room with his humans and his pack. We don't want visitors to get weirded out so you really wouldn't know where he was unless we told you.

So long for now sweet boy. We will meet again I'm sure.

So well loved..... I'm sorry he couldn't stay longer with you.

Sweet dreams, handsome Lucas.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so sorry for your loss. How lucky Lucas was to have found his place with you. Although never long enough, may the time you had together carry you through the grief of his leaving.

Run free Lucas, free of pain forever.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Lucas was a lucky boy to have had you and your husband give him his forever home.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

These memories will stay with you forever.

God speed Lucas.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

So very sorry for the loss of your Lucas.

Remember all those good times.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So sorry for your loss of your sweet boy. :grouphug

Rest in peace Lucas. :brokenheart

:f_white

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I'm so sorry for your loss of Lucas...your tribute is beautiful and brought tears to my eyes as I read about the loved shared by all.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so very sorry for your loss. I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us everyday of those we love.

We, too, lost our youngest dog. All the while we were concerned about the health of our older dogs.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry Lucas is gone. Far too young and another taken from us by that nasty disease.

Run free Lucas, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytkidsmom

Thanks guys - I am amazed every day at how much healing and help this board gives.

The kind words from people we have only met once at a gathering or people we have never met are more helpful than you ever know.

At 3am when you feel all alone in the world you can come here and see that you are not. Others have been through the same ups and downs you are going through and have made it through to the other side. It eases the sting for a bit and provides a sense of calm and comfort that can't be explained.